Random cubs/baseball talks

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Ross: 50 percent
A year ago, the Padres had an effective right-handed starter with a killer slider who was in the final year of his deal. They opted not to trade Jhoulys Chacin, and he left for Milwaukee during the offseason. The Padres came away empty-handed. This time, Ross -- who signed a one-year Minor League contract for just $1.75 million last winter -- has expressed a desire to return to San Diego next season. But it's not a guarantee. In a thin starting-pitching market, Ross could fetch a nice sum if packaged with one of the team's controllable relievers.

He got dinged up tonight at AZL. That park can be a shit show though. Underwood has been beat up some also. But the key here is control and the Pads are looking to sell.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
vs Fowler:

Jankowski: 30 percent
Jankowski checks all the boxes for a useful fourth outfield piece on a contender. He's an excellent defender, an excellent basestealer, and he's very good at reaching base against right-handed pitching. The thing is, Jankowski's only 27. He's not a free agent until after the 2021 season. The Padres might believe Jankowski could be their useful fourth outfield piece when they're contending.

I really like this kid honestly. Steals bases and gets on base. That is something that has been lacking. If they were going to look bigger here this is a team to look into.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

Just why? You know Joe would play him every day and Almora could even deserve to be an all star this year. So what, overmatched by wicked curve balls, kid is hitting .320. Yes, I know people would prefer he hit .270 and walked more, but why not concentrate on what needs fixing, that terrible decision to sign Shitwood.

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
Hmm... of minor interest, former half-season Cub Austin Jackson just got dealt from the Giants to the Rangers, along with two minor league pitchers, for the venerable PTBNL and/or cash considerations.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
'Member when everyone was shoveling dirt on the Dodgers after Kershaw & Seager went down?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Funny the only 2 Cubs position player allstars are Jim Hendry guys...

Baez and Contreras

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Funny the only 2 Cubs position player allstars are Jim Hendry guys...

Baez and Contreras

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Almora was borderline snub

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Len mentioned on the broadcast is it looks like Javy and Schwarber are home run derby bound.

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
Almora was borderline snub

From a batting average perspective, yeah. But it is *very* difficult for someone to get voted onto the All Star lineup when he doesn't even appear on the ballot. Write-in starters are more rare than hen's teeth. (That said, he did get 35 write-in votes from me... :) )

And with the Cubs already having two players voted in as starters, I can see the league office, when naming reserves, figuring that, even though Almora is having a good first half, there are other players, with fewer teammates already voted to the ASG, who are (let's face it) starting every day, not being platooned, and putting up better power and RBI numbers than Albert is. Leading the league in average doesn't make you a shoo-in for the ASG, or a front-runner for MVP, if you are well down the list in terms of OPS and RBIs.

All that said, there is a week before the game is played, and some other reserve may decide to sit out the game, like Posey has, or may get hurt in the next day or two. If that happens, Almora could still find himself named as a replacement reserve. It's not yet out of the question.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Saw this one the other day....

active leader in pitching k's are Sabathia and Verlander. Combined they are 217 short of Nolan Ryan.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Saw this one the other day....

active leader in pitching k's are Sabathia and Verlander. Combined they are 217 short of Nolan Ryan.

Wonder how many Scherzer ends up with?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Wonder how many Scherzer ends up with?

I am thinking he turns 34 in a week or so. I am thinking he get right around 3300 for his career (he's at ~2300 now)

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I am thinking he turns 34 in a week or so. I am thinking he get right around 3300 for his career (he's at ~2300 now)

Depends if he ages well. I think he does honestly with his track record. 42 YO would not be a huge reach with him.

It comes down to IP at the end. He is at 2031 with around 9 full years in. He has been avg 220 IP per year. So saying 5 years at that level honestly is with in his capability. 1000 SO’s is honestly a safe pick. I’ll aim for 1500 myself. I just think he has some Nolan to him. I’ll guess that he beats Burt and hangs it up.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Depends if he ages well. I think he does honestly with his track record. 42 YO would not be a huge reach with him.

It comes down to IP at the end. He is at 2031 with around 9 full years in. He has been avg 220 IP per year. So saying 5 years at that level honestly is with in his capability. 1000 SO’s is honestly a safe pick. I’ll aim for 1500 myself. I just think he has some Nolan to him. I’ll guess that he beats Burt and hangs it up.

He's got three more years on his contract making him 37. I think he signs one year contracts going forward if he has the desire to keep playing.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
btw, who is Burt?

EDIT: NVM Bert Blyleven