Random cubs/baseball talks

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
and the point some of us try to make is you still have to manage them. How many were pissed at Dunsings performance behind Q on sunday?

Brian Duensing

@BrianDuensing52
Thank you for the thoughts. I lost my grandpa on Saturday. He is in a better place but we miss him dearly already.

5:42 PM - Jun 18, 2018
292 people are talking about this

CSF77

Liked Posts:
and the point some of us try to make is you still have to manage them. How many were pissed at Dunsings performance behind Q on sunday?

Brian Duensing

@BrianDuensing52
Thank you for the thoughts. I lost my grandpa on Saturday. He is in a better place but we miss him dearly already.

5:42 PM - Jun 18, 2018
292 people are talking about this

Went on bereavement list. Think Zast is covering his role.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Went on bereavement list. Think Zast is covering his role.

yes, the date is what I am pointing out. He should have been on the bereavement list Sunday, or not used and not pitched on national TV.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Hard to judge people and emotions. Unfortunately when in that level if your mind in not in the moment it doesn't go well.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Like I said the votes come from sports writers and most are bias in general. If it was the fangraphs award then the numbers would pick the winner. If it was the WAR award then that would pick it.

The thing is these guys are going to pick for what ever reason motivates them. If it is about being the ace of a play off bound staff that is dominating the league...ya who is to say that is wrong. You have to figure that is going to give Verlander some votes alone. NL central there is really no pitcher standing out. West ditto. East is is a 2 horse race and some may vote against Scherzer for messed up reasons.. like not wanting it to be his award. Others will look at the teams and say the 2 are close but 1 guy led his team to a play off birth and the other had great numbers on a .500 team.

Is it messed up? Yes. But it is people voting not a spread sheet. People tend to be just that.

Was looking it over just now. deGromm has Scherzer by 7 ER's.

But

k%: 39% to 32.1% Max
BB% 5.9% to 6.4% Max
BAA: .171 to .202 Max
BABIP .267 to .296 Max

Even metrics support Max right now. Like I said with a ERA with in a 1 you have to favor Max at this point.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Hard to judge people and emotions. Unfortunately when in that level if your mind in not in the moment it doesn't go well.

I know, its just the Maddon nut hugger club that are so convinced he has all the answers, has the pulse of all his players, but puts Dunce in a position to fail. That just blows. Who knows, maybe Brian said he would stick around for the night game or expected them to mention something if he pitched, but sure seems like this was a day (or two) late.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I know, its just the Maddon nut hugger club that are so convinced he has all the answers, has the pulse of all his players, but puts Dunce in a position to fail. That just blows. Who knows, maybe Brian said he would stick around for the night game or expected them to mention something if he pitched, but sure seems like this was a day (or two) late.

He is not perfect. But he is getting his teams into the play offs.

Kinda like Dusty. Where ever he goes his teams win regardless of his flaws.

When it is a trend it is real

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
In re Duensing -- professional athletes are incredibly competitive. Even when sleepwalking through their roles because of other life events that are happening at the time. Instead of casting Maddon as a heartless, or worse clueless, doofus who thought "I'll just go ahead and use Duensing, most people aren't very close to their grandparents anyway," I'd lay you BIG odds he had a nice, quiet talk with the guy, asked if he wanted to split right then or if he felt able to take the ball that night, if circumstances allowed. Given *that* question, most major leaguers would suck in their guts and say "Well, Joe, I can shrug this off and give you a good inning, sure!" Followed by a wan smile.

If that's not what happened, I'd be incredibly surprised...

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

Didn't Dusty do it with like four or five teams? Let's not quite but Joe there at this point.

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
Dusty has had winning seasons with several teams, but, correct me if I'm wrong, hasn't gotten any of them to the World Series. It's almost as if they're going to name of NLDS and/or NLCS loser's consolation trophies after him... ;)

chibears55

Liked Posts:

This cubs team wins games on it talent not because of Maddon decision making..

But

ill say they lose alot of games because of decisions he made

Think about it..

How many times over the years have you said to yourself or heard about an ingame decision he made that had an inpact on a win..
Not many

How many times over the years have you said to yourself or heard about an ingame decision he made that had an impact on a loss..
Quite a few

Am i wrong ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Dusty has had winning seasons with several teams, but, correct me if I'm wrong, hasn't gotten any of them to the World Series. It's almost as if they're going to name of NLDS and/or NLCS loser's consolation trophies after him... ;)
Lost to Angels

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

He took the 2002 Giants.

He gets them to the playoffs which is all you can hope for. Then what happens, happens.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

But

Think about it..

How many times over the years have you said to yourself or heard about an ingame decision he made that had an inpact on a win..
Not many

How many times over the years have you said to yourself or heard about an ingame decision he made that had an impact on a loss..
Quite a few

Am i wrong ?

In fairness, it's easier to remember failures.

As I have always said and it seems most of the professional sabr sites would agree, the manager doesn't win you the game, they help to minimize mistakes. The less mistakes you make as a manager, the better shot the talent on the diamond has of winning.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
"And there's the human element that they have to deal with as well. And that, for the record, is the biggest and most important part of their profession. Players aren't walking sets of numbers. They're human beings. The human element is something that can never be evaluated with numbers. The same goes for luck, which is either a manager's best friend or his worst enemy. With or without good luck, managers are forced to make dozens (hundreds?) of decisions during a given game, and the rising usage of infield shifts around baseball goes to show that there are always going to be new ways for managers to make even more decisions. Managers aren't like football coaches, but they're becoming more and more like football coaches as baseball gets more and more complicated."

Sparky Anderson once said,

"Baseball is a simple game if you have good players and if you keep them in the right frame of mind, then the manager is a success."

Those are not my words, but I've always felt that a good baseball manager would probably do well as a cruise director. I also read somewhere that managerial decisions affect the outcome of less than 10 games a season. Players decide the overwhelming percentage of games.....managers get way too much blame for losses and too many plaudits for winning.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

But

Think about it..

Not many

Quite a few

Am i wrong ?

I think you like to complain a lot and search for everything wrong with a team that has been to 3 straight Final Fours and won a Championship.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I think you like to complain a lot and search for everything wrong with a team that has been to 3 straight Final Fours and won a Championship.
How is this complaining?

I added to a discussion that was being talked about and gave my thought and asked a question

Thank you
Go Cubs

CSF77

Liked Posts:

But

Think about it..

Not many

Quite a few

Am i wrong ?

I look at the Nats. Sucked under Willams then he comes in and makes them a force. Then this year they are underperforming a division they should be dominating.

This is the thing: managing 162 is a diffrent animal then a elimination round.

Dusty would run his guys dry. And they would choke. Were they spent going in?

Joe gives days off as the season goes on. They are fresh when going in.

That I believe was the book on their match up. One team was in better condition to advance than the other. Talent wise Nats were better.

This year there is no reason for it.

Now vs the Dodgers: superior team. End of story. No one expected that upset.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I look at the Nats. Sucked under Willams then he comes in and makes them a force. Then this year they are underperforming a division they should be dominating.

This is the thing: managing 162 is a diffrent animal then a elimination round.

Dusty would run his guys dry. And they would choke. Were they spent going in?

Joe gives days off as the season goes on. They are fresh when going in.

That I believe was the book on their match up. One team was in better condition to advance than the other. Talent wise Nats were better.

This year there is no reason for it.

Now vs the Dodgers: superior team. End of story. No one expected that upset.
What does giving guys off have to do with ingame decisions?

That what my comment was addressing, not making sure guys are rested

CSF77

Liked Posts:
What does giving guys off have to do with ingame decisions?

That what my comment was addressing, not making sure guys are rested

No one is perfect. You weigh a managers value in W/L.

The only time it matters is if a decision is made that causes a long term injury. Like burning a arm up when the red flags were up. Or knowing a guy is injured and hiding and doing nothing and it implodes. Stuff of that nature there should be addressed. Basically what Baker did to Prior. Ruined his career.

But making a decision in game? Ya know some are good and some are bad. Team is winning games and are competitive.

Sounds like you think you know more than him. Maybe you should try for a job on the team.