Random cubs/baseball talks

chibears55

Liked Posts:
No one is perfect. You weigh a managers value in W/L.

The only time it matters is if a decision is made that causes a long term injury. Like burning a arm up when the red flags were up. Or knowing a guy is injured and hiding and doing nothing and it implodes. Stuff of that nature there should be addressed. Basically what Baker did to Prior. Ruined his career.

But making a decision in game? Ya know some are good and some are bad. Team is winning games and are competitive.

Sounds like you think you know more than him. Maybe you should try for a job on the team.

Lmao

You have to be "that guy or girl" on here and get your panties in a twist on a simple response to a conversation that was going on...

LMAO

You dont have a direct response to it just bypass it, it ok

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

The only time it matters is if a decision is made that causes a long term injury. Like burning a arm up when the red flags were up. Or knowing a guy is injured and hiding and doing nothing and it implodes. Stuff of that nature there should be addressed. Basically what Baker did to Prior. Ruined his career.

But making a decision in game? Ya know some are good and some are bad. Team is winning games and are competitive.

Sounds like you think you know more than him. Maybe you should try for a job on the team.

Don't waste your time with him. The guy's a complete moron who watches, lives and breathes a friggin baseball team. It's one thing to be a fan of a team...it's another to be possessed by it.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Dusty has had winning seasons with several teams, but, correct me if I'm wrong, hasn't gotten any of them to the World Series. It's almost as if they're going to name of NLDS and/or NLCS loser's consolation trophies after him... ;)

He gave the game ball to Russ Ortiz in Game 6 of the World Series in the 6TH INNING. Angels came back from a 5-0(?) deficit and then went on to easily win game 7.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Don't waste your time with him. The guy's a complete moron who watches, lives and breathes a friggin baseball team. It's one thing to be a fan of a team...it's another to be possessed by it.

He ain't dumb. Knuckle head is under debate.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
He gave the game ball to Russ Ortiz in Game 6 of the World Series in the 6TH INNING. Angels came back from a 5-0(?) deficit and then went on to easily win game 7.

Rally Monkey is serious business.

monkey2_1024x768b-300x225.jpg

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So sounds like Darvish did well in a sim game. If he is good the next day then he makes a rehab on Monday. So I think we can expect him back on the 1st vs Min.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
In fairness, it's easier to remember failures.

As I have always said and it seems most of the professional sabr sites would agree, the manager doesn't win you the game, they help to minimize mistakes. The less mistakes you make as a manager, the better shot the talent on the diamond has of winning.

Brett is--and I can't believe I'm saying this--absolutely correct. No one remembers when a manager gives a guy a day off and four days later he hits a walkoff because he was relaxed and rested. Everyone remembers when a manager brings in a pen arm who blows a late lead. No one remembers the little things that subtly contribute to victories days or weeks or sometimes months later. Maddon's second-half record is not an accident.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Guess im not the only one who thinks the cubs will be looking for bullpen help....

https://theathletic.com/401205/2018...oking-for-bullpen-help-at-the-trade-deadline/

I'm not sure this is really a revelation, although you have been saying this for some time. This is a team with virtually no holes in terms of playoff roster, sure you might see a deficiency here or there but those aren't holes, so looking for viable pen arms is a no brainer. Ideally your playoff bullpen would consist of Morrow, Cishek, Edwards, Strop, Montgomery, Wilson and Duensing. Any one of those guys gets hurt and you have a hole. Morrow is irreplaceable as there aren't any closers available so you keep him healthy for now whatever it takes. A tough righty would fit nicely in that group likely supplanting Duensing if there is no injury.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

I don't blame Dusty. This is on Mark. He lost it mentally and it resulted in him eventually being out of the game.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I look at the Nats. Sucked under Willams then he comes in and makes them a force. Then this year they are underperforming a division they should be dominating.

This is the thing: managing 162 is a diffrent animal then a elimination round.

Dusty would run his guys dry. And they would choke. Were they spent going in?

Joe gives days off as the season goes on. They are fresh when going in.

That I believe was the book on their match up. One team was in better condition to advance than the other. Talent wise Nats were better.

This year there is no reason for it.

Now vs the Dodgers: superior team. End of story. No one expected that upset.

I agree with everything you say except for your take on the current Nationals team. Taking injuries into account, Atlanta has been the more talented team and is now ahead of them in the Division for that reason. Washington is starting to get it's guys back but still lacks depth if more injuries come. All things being equal and injuries excluded I think the Nats and Cubs are about equal talent wise but the Cubs have been luckier with injuries in key spots and have greater depth overall. To make a long story short I can't put Washington's struggles on Davey Martinez just yet.

On a side note Daniel Murphy looks done as a fielder. He's likely a DH for an AL team going forward.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I'm not sure this is really a revelation, although you have been saying this for some time. This is a team with virtually no holes in terms of playoff roster, sure you might see a deficiency here or there but those aren't holes, so looking for viable pen arms is a no brainer. Ideally your playoff bullpen would consist of Morrow, Cishek, Edwards, Strop, Montgomery, Wilson and Duensing. Any one of those guys gets hurt and you have a hole. Morrow is irreplaceable as there aren't any closers available so you keep him healthy for now whatever it takes. A tough righty would fit nicely in that group likely supplanting Duensing if there is no injury.
Im looking at more along the line of them adding guys that would be more for middle relief to gove them a couple innings during the postseason..

I think duensing could be a guy they would let go if they add someone ..

Also, i think with morrow health concern, i do think Cishek is capable of closing if it came down to it in the playoffs but then they need to make sure they have a guy who can take over Cishek role as the 6th 7th inning closer type as i like to think of him as right now.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Im looking at more along the line of them adding guys that would be more for middle relief to gove them a couple innings during the postseason..

I think duensing could be a guy they would let go if they add someone ..

Also, i think with morrow health concern, i do think Cishek is capable of closing if it came down to it in the playoffs but then they need to make sure they have a guy who can take over Cishek role as the 6th 7th inning closer type as i like to think of him as right now.

Cishek is capable of closing in the playoffs but his stuff is not the ideal fit for the job with his sinker and slider being his dominant pitches. Still, if we were in that bind in a short series he could get the job done. Agree on the middle inning guy and I would say it would have to be a RHP.

A.C. Milan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
OT There is a news spreading real quickly in Italy about the Ricketts family, it's reported that Thomas Ricketts with the help of Goldman Sachs is due to present an offer to buy A.C. Milan

https://www.milanofinanza.it/news/milan-arriva-l-offerta-di-mr-chicago-cubs-201806211556562288

This newspaper is a serious one and they claim they have many sources about this and another newspspaper is confirming it. If you search on twitter #ricketts you will see all these news about it, i don't believe it and i don't want to dream too much about it but many are reporting and confirming it, if you there overseas read something about it please let me know

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
OT There is a news spreading real quickly in Italy about the Ricketts family, it's reported that Thomas Ricketts with the help of Goldman Sachs is due to present an offer to buy A.C. Milan

https://www.milanofinanza.it/news/milan-arriva-l-offerta-di-mr-chicago-cubs-201806211556562288

This newspaper is a serious one and they claim they have many sources about this and another newspspaper is confirming it. If you search on twitter #ricketts you will see all these news about it, i don't believe it and i don't want to dream too much about it but many are reporting and confirming it, if you there overseas read something about it please let me know

paid 900 million for the cubs, they are now worth 2.9 billion, so 2 billion dollar flip which includes 25% in Comcast sports, would that be enough?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Guess im not the only one who thinks the cubs will be looking for bullpen help....

https://theathletic.com/401205/2018...oking-for-bullpen-help-at-the-trade-deadline/

Losing Morrow changes the dialog for sure. Honestly it wouldn’t shock me if they tried to trade for Hand. I’ve been wanting that deal for a while and the Pads extended which gives that control.

As far as value. I know that they covet Baez and that will never happen. Russell is a maybe if the Cubs can get a SS return also.

It would be a bigger deal if that happened.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Losing Morrow changes the dialog for sure. Honestly it wouldn’t shock me if they tried to trade for Hand. I’ve been wanting that deal for a while and the Pads extended which gives that control.

As far as value. I know that they covet Baez and that will never happen. Russell is a maybe if the Cubs can get a SS return also.

It would be a bigger deal if that happened.

I really do not see why people are fixated on getting a SS in return. Could have been Gleybor, but no, but why not just say Baez is untouchable and he will go to Short so Happ, Zobrist and LaStella can share second base and keep Schwarber on the field. So we need to pick up yet another utility guy that can play shortstop. Freeman can come up again short term. Fine if we get a better fill in guy, but not a full time SS.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I really do not see why people are fixated on getting a SS in return. Could have been Gleybor, but no, but why not just say Baez is untouchable and he will go to Short so Happ, Zobrist and LaStella can share second base and keep Schwarber on the field. So we need to pick up yet another utility guy that can play shortstop. Freeman can come up again short term. Fine if we get a better fill in guy, but not a full time SS.
There no way they trade Russell for a reliever..

If Russell gets traded it in a deal for Machado or DeGrom

CSF77

Liked Posts:
There no way they trade Russell for a reliever..

If Russell gets traded it in a deal for Machado or DeGrom

Hand has been closing this year. 21 saves on the frek’n Pads. You could almost say that he would be the closer with Morrow.

Now value. Ya it is very close on both guys. Baez right now has 30 HR power but can be sloppy at the same time. Russell is more stable but lacks Baez’s ability to change a game at the plate or at D.

On 2B it would be Zo full time with LaStella filling in. But they would need a SS flipped back as a back up and the Cubs would have to toss a equal valued fringe prospect to equal the deal out. Hard is going to put up more WAR than Russell. He is already at .4 in the pen.

Now on how it effects the Cubs: forget about it. 8-9 would be game over. 6-7 you have Cishek and Co to figure it out.

But adding that level of a arm is a true weapon for shutting off a inning

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Cubs got a ring in return for Geybor. That was the cost and you would do it again.

Baez is pretty damn untouchable e right now. He is far from perfect but he is a highlight reel every day and you just don’t see that too often. The Cubs have guys like Russell. Bryant is like that but better. Does his job and more complete than Baez but you need guys like Javy for a spark.

Now if Morrow never went down this would have never came up. But it illustrates how fragile the pen can be with out a 1A Guy that can knock them out. They have a few guys that can be at that level if they are on that game but they can toss a turd. Hand is far more concistant and kinda justifies it.