Liked Posts:
Denial.

Not just a river in Egypt...

integrity

[in-teg-ri-tee]

SynonymsExamplesWord Origin
See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
noun

adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty.

the state of being whole, entire, or undiminished:
to preserve the integrity of the empire.

a sound, unimpaired, or perfect condition:
the integrity of a ship's hull.

Antonyms
1. dishonesty.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
integrity

[in-teg-ri-tee]

SynonymsExamplesWord Origin
See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
noun

adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty.

the state of being whole, entire, or undiminished:
to preserve the integrity of the empire.

a sound, unimpaired, or perfect condition:
the integrity of a ship's hull.

Antonyms
1. dishonesty.

Epstein makes this a big point of how the Cubs do business. They're always above-board with players and their agents about what the team's intentions are, and players appreciate the honesty. It's one of the thing that makes them a desirable destination. And it makes the suggestion that Epstein is dealing behind Russell's back all the more ludicrous.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Epstein makes this a big point of how the Cubs do business. They're always above-board with players and their agents about what the team's intentions are, and players appreciate the honesty. It's one of the thing that makes them a desirable destination. And it makes the suggestion that Epstein is dealing behind Russell's back all the more ludicrous.

I agree with what you're saying but my take of what Theo said was less "we aren't dealing for machado" and more "we haven't even had those sort of discussions yet." I mean it's not even june and the earliest you ever see trades is the start of july(Shark trade). That was notable for how early it was.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I agree with what you're saying but my take of what Theo said was less "we aren't dealing for machado" and more "we haven't even had those sort of discussions yet." I mean it's not even june and the earliest you ever see trades is the start of july(Shark trade). That was notable for how early it was.

I agree with that.

"If it’s just your standard speculation, I think we’ve trained our guys through media training that starts in the minor leagues, helping guys understand just like the landscape of Major League Baseball, that this is something they have to get through," Epstein said. "But if it’s hyper-focused on one player and if there’s essentially nothing to it, then I will take the opportunity to pull the player aside and talk to him. And I won’t say in this case whether I have or not, but you can probably tell from those characteristics that I just talked about whether I have or not."

After producing just one run while being swept in a short two-game series against the Indians, the Cubs have fallen to 25-21 and sit in fourth place in the NL Central, four games behind the Brewers. Epstein wants his team to figure itself out first before making any move.

"I only see value in deals that I think make us better for the short term in terms of helping us win a World Series and leave us in a good position in the long term as well -- or balancing those two, where the organization ultimately benefits," Epstein said.

He pretty much took Russell aside and told him that this is just hype pumped up by beat reporters looking for some ratings.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I personally believe a big part of the problem is Joe right now. He needs to stabilize the hitters vs jumbling them every day. They are struggling and need to be able to stabilize in a everyday situation.

Happ lead off again. 0-3 with a walk. Day before Zo leads off and Almora #2. Both are hitting closer to .300 combine for 3 hits and 1 BB in front of Bryant and Rizzo. Now they did not convert to runs but the potential was there.

I think that they are onto something with Zo/Almora/Bryant/Rizzo myself. Happ should be regulated to short side of LF with Schwarber.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Agree..
But it also doesn't mean that a phone call wasnt made and the Orioles didn't give them a list of names for when he ready to get into serious discussions..

Their not going to tell Russell or anyone their openly shopping them until they are.... their still trying to win games now and Russell a part of that, last thing they want is for him to lose focus or deal falls through and then he bitter...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I personally believe a big part of the problem is Joe right now. He needs to stabilize the hitters vs jumbling them every day. They are struggling and need to be able to stabilize in a everyday situation.

Happ lead off again. 0-3 with a walk. Day before Zo leads off and Almora #2. Both are hitting closer to .300 combine for 3 hits and 1 BB in front of Bryant and Rizzo. Now they did not convert to runs but the potential was there.

I think that they are onto something with Zo/Almora/Bryant/Rizzo myself. Happ should be regulated to short side of LF with Schwarber.

*OH COME ON HE SINGLE HANDEDLY WON US A WORLD SERIES*

Seems to have lost that wisdom so many men find with grey/gray hair. Its almost a bigger joke that he has not tried to put Rizzo ahead of Bryant to get him better pitches. Hovering around .200 is not where your 3/4 hitter needs to be, so if he can take walks, move him up to 2 for a while.

Almora, Rizzo, Bryant, Schwarbs/Zo, Contrares, Javy, Russell, Pitcher, Happ/ Haywood.

Remember when that mentality when he got here was hit the pitcher 8 and use 9 for a "leadoff man in training"? There is so much shit he was worshiped over when he got here that he just flat out forgot.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Seems to have lost that wisdom so many men find with grey/gray hair. Its almost a bigger joke that he has not tried to put Rizzo ahead of Bryant to get him better pitches. Hovering around .200 is not where your 3/4 hitter needs to be, so if he can take walks, move him up to 2 for a while.

The #2 hitter is more important than the #3 or #4 hitter. Taking a struggling player and sticking him in the most important spot in the lineup is dumb baseball.

Remember when that mentality when he got here was hit the pitcher 8 and use 9 for a "leadoff man in training"? There is so much shit he was worshiped over when he got here that he just flat out forgot.

Using the pitcher in the 8 spot had nothing to do with a "leadoff man in training" and everything to do with protecting Russell, who wasn't offensively ready, when the Cubs promoted him.

Honestly, is there anything you don't have an awful take on?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
*OH COME ON HE SINGLE HANDEDLY WON US A WORLD SERIES*

Almora, Rizzo, Bryant, Schwarbs/Zo, Contrares, Javy, Russell, Pitcher, Happ/ Haywood.

Tinkering is his forte. And when the pieces perform in any configuration it can be healthy.

But when the parts and not performing then you have to optimize the line up to get it started again.

Zo almora and Bryant have been the most consistent hitters. Contreras and Rizzo are every day and seem to be coming around. Baez is streaky like Schwarber. Heyward and Happ are like Russell. Bottom of the line up.

That is how He should be thinking right now. If Baez gets hot leave him in vs over ride the top. If he is making a lot of outs reduce his Pa’s until he heats up again.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
So, I wasn't really looking for this but I stumbled upon Andrelton Simmons' stats for the season and had a realization regarding Russell. Simmons was called up at 22. Since then his stat line looks like this

age 22 - .289/.335/.416 6.6 %/11.5 % bb/k 1.9 fWAR 103 wRC+(only 182 pas)
age 23 - .248/.296/.396 6.1 %/8.4 % bb/k 3.5 fWAR 91 wRC+
age 24 - .244/.286/.331 5.6 %/10.4 % bb/k 1.7 fWAR 71 wRC+
age 25 - .265/.321/.338 6.7 %/8.2 % bb/k 3.1 fWAR 81 wRC+
age 26(traded to LAA) - .281/.324/.366 5.8 %/7.9 % 2.6 fWAR 90 wRC+
age 27 - .278/.331/.421 7.3 %/10.4 % bb/k 5.1 fWAR 103 wRC+
age 28(this year) - .330/.399/.462 9.8 %/4.9 % bb/k 2.5 fWAR 141 wRC+

Like Simmons Russell was called up REALLY young at age 21. Like Simmons, Russell has one hell of a glove at SS. Like Simmons his first full 3 years in the majors he's been below 100 wRC+. Now Russell may not end up making the improves Simmons has but he also doesn't have as far to go. His worst wRC+ was last year at 84 but has already put up two seasons at 90 and 94 and this year sits at 95. Just goes back to the wholes phrase that development isn't linear. Obviously growing pains suck but you get the feeling atlanta might want that trade back. They really only netted Newcomb out of it and while he looks fairly interesting young pitching and all that....

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The #2 hitter is more important than the #3 or #4 hitter. Taking a struggling player and sticking him in the most important spot in the lineup is dumb baseball.

Using the pitcher in the 8 spot had nothing to do with a "leadoff man in training" and everything to do with protecting Russell, who wasn't offensively ready, when the Cubs promoted him.

Hey, he has a moniker he has to support....

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
He (Epstein) pretty much took Russell aside and told him that this is just hype pumped up by beat reporters looking for some ratings.

Isn't that exactly what happened with Castro in 2015? Management took him aside and told him to disregard all those trade rumors, he wasn't going anywhere?

And he didn't. Not until they signed Zo, anyway -- at which point, he was sent off to the Yankees for basically zero return, just to free up the roster spot.

Just saying, as has been said before, these things aren't being discussed... until they are suddenly discussed and deals are done overnight. Don't take Theo's reassurances as having a huge amount of shelf life.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
as expected, Jiminez up, Caratini down, Navarro designated for assignment.

I guess Caratini gets to play everyday, but let at least hope Jiminez catches Darvish tomorrow, if not, why not just release him?

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

And for some reason, everyone thinks they are right and their word is the gospel.

What about protecting a player who is getting pitched around by having someone on deck that the other team does not want to face with runners on base?

Its bad baseball to try to get two runners on base for a guy that has 100 rbi's IN THE THREE HOLE) and continue to let him get on base for a struggling hitter.

Doo you know good baseball?

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
And for some reason, everyone thinks they are right and their word is the gospel.

What about protecting a player who is getting pitched around by having someone on deck that the other team does not want to face with runners on base?

Its bad baseball to try to get two runners on base for a guy that has 100 rbi's IN THE THREE HOLE) and continue to let him get on base for a struggling hitter.

Doo you know good baseball?

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2009/3/17/795946/optimizing-your-lineup-by

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2...s-have-sabermetric-managers-and-shouldnt-they

https://www.fangraphs.com/community/lineup-construction-is-changing/

https://statliners.com/2015/03/25/mlb-lineup-construction-that-might-surprise-you/

https://medium.com/the-unbalanced/its-time-to-rethink-lineups-eab10f55c537

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Sky Kalkman?

Scott Mckinney??

hscer???

Drew Jenkins????

John Edwards?????

why are these people experts? seems like our in house experts who hide behind computers.

Score more that the other team, hit the ball where they are not defending you, get your best hitter in position to drive in runs, not get stranded on base.

That is just simple.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
sky kalkman?

Scott mckinney??

Hscer???

Drew jenkins????

John edwards?????

Why are these people experts? Seems like our in house experts who hide behind computers.

Score more that the other team, hit the ball where they are not defending you, get your best hitter in position to drive in runs, not get stranded on base.

That is just simple.

twtw

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
oops, Almora batting 9th today, putting Almora, Zobrist and Lastella a chance to get on base for KB.

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
So, I've just been looking at some stats, and I'm struck by the stat lines of two different players, who are having some comparable factors in their seasons. One of them is known as a flashy defender, but is otherwise not regarded all that highly by the national baseball press. The other has been hailed by the baseball press as the Second Coming of the Baseball Messiah, even though Kyle Schwarber has shown better defensive chops than him this year.

As of this morning, the first guy is slashing .269/.300/.570, with 52 total hits, 9 2Bs, 5 3Bs, 13 HRs, 32 RS, 42 RBIs, and 45 SOs. The second guy is slashing 283/.418/.567, with 53 total hits, 11 2Bs, 0 3Bs, 14 HRs, 39 RS, 39 RBIs and 68 SOs. Note the second guy has exactly the same number of RBIs and RS -- a sign of lack of peak productivity, either of the player himself or by the lineup as constructed.

The first guy is Javy Baez. The second guy is Aaron Judge.

Yep, Judge takes a lot more walks, playing in the #2 slot in the lineup every day. Javy has been played in nearly every slot in the order, batting in front of everyone from KB to the pitcher's slot.

Judge is by far and away worse at striking out. Javy may be a free swinger, but he ain't nothing compared to Judge. Considering the rest of the numbers, Javy puts the ball into play a hell of a lot more than Judge does.

Considering the one major difference in their stats -- Judge has walked 42 times, as compared to Javy's six, count 'em, six, walks (four of which have been intentional) -- and considering the big lumber that comes up behind Judge, I have to come to the conclusion that the additional seven runs Judge has scored over Javy is *way* less than you would expect from the walk inequality. And the fact that Judge has the same number of runs scored as RBIs is another indicator of under-performance -- the guy must be hitting mostly solo shots, otherwise he'd be getting more guys in in front of him.

So, you have two guys with pretty even performance, except for walks, which don't appear to be having as large of an impact for the Yankees as you'd expect. And yet, the New York-dominated media still hail Aaron Judge as the be-all and end-all of baseball performance.

Which just goes to show, the New York-based baseball media have their heads up their asses, from which vantage point they can only see baseball played in New York... ;)

chibears55

Liked Posts: