Random cubs/baseball talks

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I don’t feel an opinion either way. I don’t think it floats due to the purist factor. Game is traditional and change of that magnitude is going to be insurmountable.

You are going to get arguement of pitchers have hit sense 1875. The AL was indoctrinated in 1900 so we have the jounior circuit it but the Senior Circuit needs to be preserved

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Now its the dodgers getting Machado again. Seems like the NFL not wanting any teams to announce any business during super bowl week to keep the focus on the game. The year the game does not matter, really, they want to make sure people watch.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Now its the dodgers getting Machado again. Seems like the NFL not wanting any teams to announce any business during super bowl week to keep the focus on the game. The year the game does not matter, really, they want to make sure people watch.

MLB frowns on distractions during break. That is why no team would announce anything and this is all rumor mill crap from outsiders trying to make a name for them self.

That is why I really didn't take notice.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I don’t feel an opinion either way. I don’t think it floats due to the purist factor. Game is traditional and change of that magnitude is going to be insurmountable.

You are going to get arguement of pitchers have hit sense 1875. The AL was indoctrinated in 1900 so we have the jounior circuit it but the Senior Circuit needs to be preserved
I think the days of saving the game old traditions due to "purist factors " is over..
The game been turned over to the young players and their ways , so if the players want it, it gonna happen

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:

I’m sure out of respect for Machado and that game they’ve agreed not to announce anything until afterwards so he can play in the all star game. Also I’d really prefer he went to philly because I still feel like they are less of a threat and a few pieces away. Machado could put LA ahead of us, if they aren’t already

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Must have dug out those old baseballs from 1998 for this year's All-Star game....still the best AS game in pro sports but slipping badly towards NBA levels.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I’m sure out of respect for Machado and that game they’ve agreed not to announce anything until afterwards so he can play in the all star game. Also I’d really prefer he went to philly because I still feel like they are less of a threat and a few pieces away. Machado could put LA ahead of us, if they aren’t already

No they are not as good and Manny doesn’t make them better. Turner also fell off and they lost Segur. They are slapping a band aid on a team right now that is not at the level they were. No Morrow.

Honestly I see it as they are just fighting for the division and they are in the Cubs situation in 2017 where they had to fight til the end.

The Cubs have a better O. Better pen and starting rotation is in debate. I would edge Cubs and Yu makes it better. Adding 1 bat doesn’t magically upgrade everything.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Good trade for the Dodgers. They have to go for it provided they have already invested about a half billion dollars into a team that hasn't won a World Series still. Considering what the Dodgers gave up, it seems that Machado signaled he has no interest in signing an extension now. I doubt he would sign with the Dodgers considering Seager is there still. Nonetheless, this does deplete the Dodgers of some trade deadline ammo which is good for the Cubs. Theo/Hoyer are saying they have no plans to be active at the deadline, but I'm pretty sure they will add another starting pitcher given Darvish's status. I think Cole Hamels would be an obvious target. His contract expires and he shouldn't cost that much in a trade. Unlike last season, the bullpen has been fantastic. Offensively they have plenty of depth as it is and Bryant has been average at best this season to date. If he picks it up like everyone should expect, the Cubs will be in good shape.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
No they are not as good and Manny doesn’t make them better. Turner also fell off and they lost Segur. They are slapping a band aid on a team right now that is not at the level they were. No Morrow.

Honestly I see it as they are just fighting for the division and they are in the Cubs situation in 2017 where they had to fight til the end.

The Cubs have a better O. Better pen and starting rotation is in debate. I would edge Cubs and Yu makes it better. Adding 1 bat doesn’t magically upgrade everything.

Disagree severely. It absolutely makes them better than they are right now and that's the point of this trade.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Good trade for the Dodgers. They have to go for it provided they have already invested about a half billion dollars into a team that hasn't won a World Series still. Considering what the Dodgers gave up, it seems that Machado signaled he has no interest in signing an extension now. I doubt he would sign with the Dodgers considering Seager is there still. Nonetheless, this does deplete the Dodgers of some trade deadline ammo which is good for the Cubs. Theo/Hoyer are saying they have no plans to be active at the deadline, but I'm pretty sure they will add another starting pitcher given Darvish's status. I think Cole Hamels would be an obvious target. His contract expires and he shouldn't cost that much in a trade. Unlike last season, the bullpen has been fantastic. Offensively they have plenty of depth as it is and Bryant has been average at best this season to date. If he picks it up like everyone should expect, the Cubs will be in good shape.

And your Hamels thought makes a lot of sense. The issue is the Cubs can't offer what the team ahead of them can, let alone the teams way ahead of them can to the Rangers. It makes no sense for the Rangers to take less.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:

I don’t think the cubs are going after a starter unless something falls into their laps. My guess is their main target is someone like Zach Britton or maybe Jeurys Familia. Also it’ll be interesting to see what Smyly can give them outta the pen when he gets back. That pen is going to be stacked and potentially limits what you need to get out of the starters in the playoffs. It would be nice if either Hendricks or Quintana comes around by then though, because one starter isn’t getting us through.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
And your Hamels thought makes a lot of sense. The issue is the Cubs can't offer what the team ahead of them can, let alone the teams way ahead of them can to the Rangers. It makes no sense for the Rangers to take less.

Cubs could offer more than people think. It's just that they are going to need to offer pieces off their major league team. It's easy to forget Happ was a top 20 prospect before he was called up and I'd argue that given he's put up a 113 wRC+ last year and a 122 wRC+ this year that he's more than solidified that ranking. In fact, think you could rightly argue he's worth more now than he was then because you know he can play at the MLB level.

People are also vastly underselling the cubs pitching prospects. And I'm not even talking about De La Cruz, Alzolay and Albertos who were clearly the 3 best guys coming into the season. There's significant depth between A, A+ and AA. While it's true that outside of maybe Lange they don't really have TOR upside, most pitchers don't. Even when you're talking about guys who go in the top 15 picks of a draft it's far from a guarantee. But you look at guys like Tyler Thomas, Javier Assad, Cory Abbott, Rollie Lacy, Erich Uelmen, Jesus Camargo, Tyson Miller, Matt Swarmer, Keegan Thompson, Alex Lange, Duncan Robinson, and Michael Rucker and they are all having really fantastic years. You can make the case that every one of these guys has a legitimate shot at making the majors as a starter.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Cubs could offer more than people think. It's just that they are going to need to offer pieces off their major league team. It's easy to forget Happ was a top 20 prospect before he was called up and I'd argue that given he's put up a 113 wRC+ last year and a 122 wRC+ this year that he's more than solidified that ranking. In fact, think you could rightly argue he's worth more now than he was then because you know he can play at the MLB level.

People are also vastly underselling the cubs pitching prospects. And I'm not even talking about De La Cruz, Alzolay and Albertos who were clearly the 3 best guys coming into the season. There's significant depth between A, A+ and AA. While it's true that outside of maybe Lange they don't really have TOR upside, most pitchers don't. Even when you're talking about guys who go in the top 15 picks of a draft it's far from a guarantee. But you look at guys like Tyler Thomas, Javier Assad, Cory Abbott, Rollie Lacy, Erich Uelmen, Jesus Camargo, Tyson Miller, Matt Swarmer, Keegan Thompson, Alex Lange, Duncan Robinson, and Michael Rucker and they are all having really fantastic years. You can make the case that every one of these guys has a legitimate shot at making the majors as a starter.

Yes it would have to come off the major league roster as you say. That gets them in the game for a guy like Hamels. And I agree that the Cubs have done a solid job of rebuilding their pitching prospects. But I think you are overvaluing them from both a worth and a scarcity.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

Right, but the reason prospects are worth more is they did not show the holes in their game yet.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Yes it would have to come off the major league roster as you say. That gets them in the game for a guy like Hamels. And I agree that the Cubs have done a solid job of rebuilding their pitching prospects. But I think you are overvaluing them from both a worth and a scarcity.

I think it depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for a guy premium tier stuff guy then sure the cubs lack that. But IMO teams get to hyper focused on that and I believe the cubs have smartly approached pitching. A lot of teams have all their money at the top 2 slots in a rotation and then the rotation falls apart after them. The cubs are more evenly good throughout or at least that's the way they have been in the past.

And to that end, that's the type of pitcher the cubs have attacked as prospects. Some of those guys turn into Kyle Hendricks. Others are just effective #4/5 types. But I mean I'd argue the guys I listed have shown more in their comparative minor league stints than Zack Godley who was a 3.5 win player last year.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:

Five prospects is still quite a bit to give up for, at best, a 3-4 WAR rental. It's a weird trade, because the Dodgers should win their division regardless but they're not having a "go for it" year like the Cubs did when they gave up Torres for Chapman in 2016. I feel like the Dodgers FO thinks their window with Kershaw is closing and it's fish or cut bait time, but even with Machado the roster isn't there. The Cubs are still the easy favorites in the NL especially if Darvish returns to form.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Five prospects is still quite a bit to give up for, at best, a 3-4 WAR rental. It's a weird trade, because the Dodgers should win their division regardless but they're not having a "go for it" year like the Cubs did when they gave up Torres for Chapman in 2016. I feel like the Dodgers FO thinks their window with Kershaw is closing and it's fish or cut bait time, but even with Machado the roster isn't there. The Cubs are still the easy favorites in the NL especially if Darvish returns to form.

Except odds right now have the Dodgers as the NL favs.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Except odds right now have the Dodgers as the NL favs.

For now. the analytics definitely suggest it but Machado is not good at SS so their defense is going to suffer and I wouldn't be any more bullish on their pitching than the Cubs. I do think we're looking at at another Cubs-Dodgers NLCS with the Cubs having home-field advantage this time.