Random cubs/baseball talks

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Five prospects is still quite a bit to give up for, at best, a 3-4 WAR rental. It's a weird trade, because the Dodgers should win their division regardless but they're not having a "go for it" year like the Cubs did when they gave up Torres for Chapman in 2016. I feel like the Dodgers FO thinks their window with Kershaw is closing and it's fish or cut bait time, but even with Machado the roster isn't there. The Cubs are still the easy favorites in the NL especially if Darvish returns to form.

I think the Orioles got hosed. Diaz is the real deal but his bat profiles as a CF which he can't play. He's a 40 grade in terms of power which is tough for a corner OF. He'll find a spot in MLB but he's not the difference maker you would have expected in the deal. Plus he was the Dodgers 4th ranked prospect while Dean Kremer is the next ranked player in the deal at 28 and his ceiling is a #5 starter but more likely to be a middle reliever. The other three are pure question marks in terms of MLB potential.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
For now. the analytics definitely suggest it but Machado is not good at SS so their defense is going to suffer and I wouldn't be any more bullish on their pitching than the Cubs. I do think we're looking at at another Cubs-Dodgers NLCS with the Cubs having home-field advantage this time.

It's pretty close. Honestly, I think I like something about all the potential playoff teams in both leagues. Thankfully for me, I'm a baseball fan first and a homer White Sox fan second. I'm really looking forward to the next 12 days of trade talk and the final two months of playoff positioning.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
It's pretty close. Honestly, I think I like something about all the potential playoff teams in both leagues. Thankfully for me, I'm a baseball fan first and a homer White Sox fan second. I'm really looking forward to the next 12 days of trade talk and the final two months of playoff positioning.

Trades are going to make a huge difference, particularly in the NL East and in the NL West. The Dodgers need at least one pen arm but now only have $3 mil to spend unless they move money. The Phillies could use a power bat, the Braves could use a veteran pitcher. Then there's Washington that shouldn't need anything except to to go on a run. The AL is less interesting in that I think Boston, Houston and Cleveland are division locks and NYY and Seattle are WC locks unless Oakland really pours it on. so really only question in the league.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Trades are going to make a huge difference, particularly in the NL East and in the NL West. The Dodgers need at least one pen arm but now only have $3 mil to spend unless they move money. The Phillies could use a power bat, the Braves could use a veteran pitcher. Then there's Washington that shouldn't need anything except to to go on a run. The AL is less interesting in that I think Boston, Houston and Cleveland are division locks and NYY and Seattle are WC locks unless Oakland really pours it on. so really only question in the league.

Im not as sold as you are on the Red Sox, but yes, very uneventful in the AL. The only thing they have is where they think they need to shore up for a deep playoff run.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Except odds right now have the Dodgers as the NL favs.

Don’t agree with it. But looks like LAD doesnt either. They have holes

The Dodgers aren’t done yet, either, Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports reports, as they’ll now pursue a reliever to help closer Kenley Jansen at the back end of their bullpen. It’s worth noting that Los Angeles will sit just a few million dollars below the luxury tax threshold following the acquisition of Machado, so any bullpen additions will likely come cheap, or send a player (such as Logan Forsythe) back to a trade partner in order to offset some of financial burden involved. In addition to Hand, Jeurys Familia, Zach Britton, Kirby Yates, Craig Stammen and Raisel Iglesias are just a few names who could be available.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That's a different topic.

I personally think that they should be aiming higher. Gauging each other still falls short of the AL.

I look at it as Yu down and a lack of a left handed lock down guy are the Cubs holes. O wise they are the most complete NL team.

Dodgers just replaced Saeger but they need to address it he same issues the Cubs have. A SP and a bull pen arm.

The Dodgers needs are not in the org. The Cubs are. Yu returning solves the rotation. So they do not have to over pay. Dodgers are limited by the Cap as they are wanting to reset.

And that is the thing. Dodgers and Cubs have equal needs. Cubs are not limited

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Hand off the board. To Indians

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I personally think that they should be aiming higher. Gauging each other still falls short of the AL.

I look at it as Yu down and a lack of a left handed lock down guy are the Cubs holes. O wise they are the most complete NL team.

Dodgers just replaced Saeger but they need to address it he same issues the Cubs have. A SP and a bull pen arm.

The Dodgers needs are not in the org. The Cubs are. Yu returning solves the rotation. So they do not have to over pay. Dodgers are limited by the Cap as they are wanting to reset.

And that is the thing. Dodgers and Cubs have equal needs. Cubs are not limited

I see it as the Cubs are more limited since they have nothing to offer outside of the mlb roster where a stacked minors of a Dodger team does. And they can include a guy that is taking up money to hit that reset if needed.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I see it as the Cubs are more limited since they have nothing to offer outside of the mlb roster where a stacked minors of a Dodger team does. And they can include a guy that is taking up money to hit that reset if needed.
Cubs wont trade anyone from their core major league roster now..
So
The idea of getting anyone of significant is out the door..

Maybe Britton or a lefty that will cost a low end prospect and theyll probably add a SP for depth that could also pitch in the pen..

I just dont see any wow trade being made by the cubs....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Makes the Indians one tough playoff team. They also got Cimber who has performed well for San Diego.
Whoever left standing out of the AL is going to be one tough team to beat in WS...

The NL team going to be hoping those AL series all go 6 to 7 games, and that last team go into the WS on fumes

CSF77

Liked Posts:

If you are looking at it as Yu and Smyly fail to return. Ya they are screwed regardless.

But looking at it as Yu returns only then it depends on Chatwood. He makes progress then Montgomery ills the LH need in the pen.

If both return they need nothing.

Smyly returns only they need a #4.

So there are variables going on here.

I see it as Yu holds more weight over all. They need a upgrade to both Chatwood and Montgomery.

Now that Hand is off the board Ross can’t be packed up with someone. Shoot Underwood for Ross strait done deal. Run 6 out for a few weeks loser hits the pen.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Cubs wont trade anyone from their core major league roster now..
So
The idea of getting anyone of significant is out the door..

Maybe Britton or a lefty that will cost a low end prospect and theyll probably add a SP for depth that could also pitch in the pen..

I just dont see any wow trade being made by the cubs....

I honestly don’t agree with what they are doing. It feels like it is catering to Joe’s style more than addressing the issues.

The most likely scenario is Chatwood still sucks. Yu is at risk for the season. They have to add a arm.

As far as the pen goes. Honestly they really don’t need to address this. Montgomery goes to it and it is addressed in Oct.

Now if they do nothing and Monty is your 4 then you are screwed.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Random thought: what if they converted Edwards back into a starter in the off season?

I’m just thinking that they really don’t need him in the pen and his value jumps in the rotation.

I think that he is established enough to convert myself

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I honestly don’t agree with what they are doing. It feels like it is catering to Joe’s style more than addressing the issues.

The most likely scenario is Chatwood still sucks. Yu is at risk for the season. They have to add a arm.

As far as the pen goes. Honestly they really don’t need to address this. Montgomery goes to it and it is addressed in Oct.

Now if they do nothing and Monty is your 4 then you are screwed.
Listening to Hoyer on the radio, and i know he not gonna play his hand if something brewing...
But
He sounded as if he just hoping the ones that are struggling or not up to par, pick it up and their just gonna look at bringing in depth at pitching..

So, you go by that..
Basically the roster as is , is what gonna take them as far as they go..

All about hope..

Hope Darvish returns and is effective..

Hope Lester can continue being that ACE..

Hope Quintana and Hendricks get to the next level..

Hope Chatwood finds a pulse..

Hope Morrow dont have recurring back problems..

Hope bullpen can stay the course

Hope Contreras finds some power

Hope Rizzo finds his bat

Hope Baez continues to roll

Hope Russell stay consistent

Hope Bryant finds his power and clutch hitting

Hope Schwarber can keep it going

Hope Heyward continues to improve

Hope Hope Hope is the cubs new slogan for the 2nd half

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Random thought: what if they converted Edwards back into a starter in the off season?

I’m just thinking that they really don’t need him in the pen and his value jumps in the rotation.

I think that he is established enough to convert myself

They dont realistically need SP next year with 5 guys under contract/team control..
Plus Smyley

So there no need to convert Edwards..