IST: Cards at Cubs

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Saw this quote too that was pretty interesting from Maddon.

I've heard him say the same thing, in effect, several times before--that the minute Baez learns to lay off high heat and the slider low & away he's going to be something very special at the plate.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Great hustle by Baez on that double stretching it to third. Not sure if they ruled that an error or just as a triple but either way great way to start for him.
Triple..

Baez a XBH machine early on

He keeps taking pitches to RC RF , he gonna have a really good year

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I've heard him say the same thing, in effect, several times before--that the minute Baez learns to lay off high heat and the slider low & away he's going to be something very special at the plate.

So far he's been doing that too. Fun to watch him improve.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Baez singles? Send him to AAA! We only want XBH!

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Also holy crap weaver is laboring. 43 pitches to get 4 outs thus far

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Still surprised by how many fly balls Heyward is hitting. Not driving them yet but would rather see a fly to center caught than a ground ball to 2nd or short.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
You know what occurs to me about this line up.... with Baez and to a lessor extent Almora it just feels like they have a lot more speed on the base paths at the top of the line up. Guys who can go first to third on singles to the outfield and such. I get the logic behind batting Bryant second but call me old school I sorta like that first 2 guys being above average speed guys thought process.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
So watching the game and not the stat line I felt Lester's been ok but nothing particularly great..... and then i look over at the stat line and see he's given up 2 hits a walk and 7 k's. Not sure if he's just being boringly good or what but I didn't expect to see that sort of line.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
You know what occurs to me about this line up.... with Baez and to a lessor extent Almora it just feels like they have a lot more speed on the base paths at the top of the line up. Guys who can go first to third on singles to the outfield and such. I get the logic behind batting Bryant second but call me old school I sorta like that first 2 guys being above average speed guys thought process.

aggressive speed too. Remember Almora tagging up in the world series on the fly out? Javy tags up on the KB Sacrifice fly and almora busted ass to make sure he scored in case Javy got thrown out at second so the run would count.

Dont know if people remember Manny Ramirez, might as well compare him to Machado since people are talking about getting him.

If teams will no longer be able to shift against this team its going to be a fun year

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Im right with you here...
I was pretty much going to say the same thing..

It no coincidence that the top of libeup providing much of the offense today..

1 thru 6 is solid with speed on base and power guys..

Hopefully we see the same top 6 for a few games in a row but im not counting on it..
Im sure Happ will be leading off tomorrow and Baez will drop to 7th

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Damn..
I know he was at 96 pitches , why not let Lester start the innning?
He had 8 days off

Better not blow this game

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Damn..
I know he was at 96 pitches , why not let Lester start the innning?
He had 8 days off

Better not blow this game

Because it's a very long season and Lester is not a young buck anymore. Besides, if your bullpen can't hold a 7 run lead for 3 innings, you don't deserve the win anyway.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Because it's a very long season and Lester is not a young buck anymore. Besides, if your bullpen can't hold a 7 run lead for 3 innings, you don't deserve the win anyway.
Id get that if the bullpen hasnt been somewhat overused already in the first 3 weeks..
Maddon was hoping to get 3 from Butler just to save the pen for the weekend in Colorado ..

So again, why not allow Lester to at least start the inning and try and get 1 more..
He was still going strong in the 6th

Young or not, Lester had 8 days off before today and won't pitch again til next week Wednesday.. so rest isnt a concern now for him..
He'll have 2 games in 2 weeks

EDIT: i sorta got my answer here..
Maddon had explained after the game though , he told Lester had the game been closer he'd sent him back out..

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I didnt say i agreed with maddon answer...lol

I know. Just giving Joe crap. Edie has done well, and thats the situation for him.