Remember what you used to do with old sports games, the workarounds and whatnot?

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Welp, figured I'd talk about this here because this is a sports forum & a video game section.

So 'Dynasty Mode' in sports games....

Yeah, doing some cleaning/backups of personal files and old disks, I came across something I used to do since 1992. That is, play every Bulls game on gameday in whatever NBA basketball game I was into at the time.

I did it for about 6 years and simulated games that I had no time for. But for the most part, I played roughly 40 games of the schedule every season. I pretty much stopped because the lockout season, end of the Bulls dynasty, etc. Things that just sucked the fun out of it for me. But it made me think of how before dynasty modes, we used to just pen and paper things, or backup the save files throughout the years.

I found this old drive caddy case full of old HDDs from who knows when in the mid 90s, and before I really had good habits formed for organizing files, backups, I just left it to collect dust. Sifting through old drives is not fun. But the things I found, old programs, drawings, photographs, chat logs, and songs I made from as early as 1986(which makes sense because HDD were too much of a luxury before then for me). Complete backups of many sites I used to host, a few BBSs and older communities. Just crazy. I'm not even done going through these drives. ( <3 SCSI over ethernet compatibility :) , not as testy as older PATA converted to SATA)

I'm glad that a lot was recovered. Just wow, when it comes to how we used to hack/mod old sports games... LOL. Yes, #1 was rosters, and #2 was draft classes. But converting old save files from one year to reflect the stats in the next year. The old method of doing a dynasty... I know some people here did that shit too. I have a season where Bill Wennington led the league in 3PT% just to get a laugh, and Glenn Rice led the league in scoring for the Heat with some funny hardcode edits(so not in-game sliders) by scoring 60ppg, but averaging a 12% FG just for laughs. And the only way I saw this, was because WINE is fucking awesome, and I just loaded whatever the game program files onto a working drive and it ran perfectly and used no resources LOL! BTW, NBA Live 96 is still as fun as shit.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I was never the hacker or modder type, but I would gladly download whatever funny mods people would make and try to make them work when I had PC games. I played most of my NBA Live on console though. I would always try to regather what I could of the 98 Bulls (I am a youngin and didn't start seriously playing NBA Live until Live 2000) and then start dynasty mode with those guys.

The dynasty was always short lived as those guys were all approaching their upper 30s and would eventually retire, but it's not like I had the patience to play out 20 years anyway. I think NBA Live 2000 needed one of those memory card packs too, which I didn't have until later on so I think I rinsed and repeated that cycle of unlock Jordan by beating him 1 on 1 (felt harder to beat him than any sort of PvP feels now lol), reassemble what was left of the 98 bulls, start dynasty mode, play until bored too many times to remember.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
i remember running back kick offs in joe montana football on the genesis by running around in circles so the other team gathered behind me.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Madden 08 on PC had a thriving community of full custom leagues that all had their own websites and IM networks. Commish of the league had full control of rosters and drafts. Leagues played out full seasons complete with playoffs, superbowl, drafts, trades, and offseason phases. It was common to play more than 10 seasons off the same base roster with little turnover of team owners. You got to know the people in the leagues and their tendencies until games were real chess matches. It was incredible to build a team to greatness through trades, drafts, and player progression over winning seasons.

That shit was amazing. EA can fucking die choking on my cock for what they did to football games.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Madden 08 on PC had a thriving community of full custom leagues that all had their own websites and IM networks. Commish of the league had full control of rosters and drafts. Leagues played out full seasons complete with playoffs, superbowl, drafts, trades, and offseason phases. It was common to play more than 10 seasons off the same base roster with little turnover of team owners. You got to know the people in the leagues and their tendencies until games were real chess matches. It was incredible to build a team to greatness through trades, drafts, and player progression over winning seasons.

That shit was amazing. EA can fucking die choking on my cock for what they did to football games.

Here here!!!!

iu