Bryan Price out in Cincinnati

fatbeard

Liked Posts:

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Why they kept this idiot after last year is beyond me. The Reds are bad but Price made them worse. I really expected them to improve by several wins this year but they look atrocious.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
It seems to me that, essentially, Bryan Price got fired for being too good at tanking, and that what ownership really wanted was tanking with a "fig leaf" of respectability.

Which seems really odd to me. Just be up front about it like Ricketts and Epstein were.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Being too good at tanking means he sucks at managing. Part of tanking is also being competitive so that your young players don't learn how to lose, but in losing learn how to keep games close and pull some out.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
2010 Cubs sounds familiar.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
It seems to me that, essentially, Bryan Price got fired for being too good at tanking, and that what ownership really wanted was tanking with a "fig leaf" of respectability.

Which seems really odd to me. Just be up front about it like Ricketts and Epstein were.

Rightly or wrongly I think the Reds expected a step forward this year from their 68 wins in 2017. I picked them for 75 wins and I'm guessing that's about what the club thought as well.. Of course their lineup is severely underachieving and their pitching was a crapshoot to begin with. That said if they were going to fire Price why not do it in the offseason?

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Being too good at tanking means he sucks at managing. Part of tanking is also being competitive so that your young players don't learn how to lose, but in losing learn how to keep games close and pull some out.

If you're saying that player development still has to occur in the midst of tanking, then I agree. If Bryan Price's sin was "not enough player development", like Dale Sveum, then fine. But I don't see how the front office could reasonably conclude that there wasn't enough development occurring after only 11% of the season.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
If you're saying that player development still has to occur in the midst of tanking, then I agree. If Bryan Price's sin was "not enough player development", like Dale Sveum, then fine. But I don't see how the front office could reasonably conclude that there wasn't enough development occurring after only 11% of the season.

Yes, that's my issue as well. Of course Price was once one of the best pitching coaches in baseball and the young pitchers are awful so maybe that had something to do with it. There has to be a backstory though.