How Does Nelson Rate Compared to Other Highly Touted Guards From the Past?

jive

Liked Posts:
First off, Nelson is a beast. He makes getting to the next level look easy, he finishes off his blocks like nobody's business, and has NFL body written all over him. Those are the main reasons why some scouts are considering him a generational talent and most are projecting him to be a top 10 and even a top 5. The last time a true guard was drafted in the top 5 was in 1985, when Bill Fralic was drafted at #2. You could count Leonard Davis in 2001 when he was drafted #2 and played guard for most of his career, even though he played tackle in college. Both of those guys went to have decent careers with a couple of Pro Bowls each, but I would expect a little more from a #2 overall pick.

Since 2008, 10 guards have been taken in the first round with most of them in the latter rounds (20+). Only 1 was taken in the top 10 (Cooper).
There's some ProBowlers in there with Decastro, Long, and Iupati.
You have some busts in Cooper, Watkins, and Tomlinson
You even have a guy who became a Pro-Bowl tackle in Albert.

Which one will Nelson be? He'd have to be as good or better than those with success to be worth a top 10 pick.
Decastro and Iupati when they came out were considered NFL ready, the best in their position, and considered safe picks. Yet, they were selected in the bottom half of the draft. Cooper was selected at 7 with great combine results and productivity as a 3 year starter, but busted due to injuries. How much better is Nelson than Decastro, Iupati, Long or Albert to be taken in the top 10, possibly top 5?

He's a beast for sure. Just not sure how much more beastly than previous prospects, and worth a top 10 pick when quality guards can be found in other rounds. If you look at Pro Bowl rosters, you will see that many of them are 3rd or 4th rounders at guard with some of them converted tackles. I like Nelson, but based on history, he'd have to be way better than any guard that has come out in a generation or do an improved Brandon Albert switchover to be taken in the top 10, let alone the top 5.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Based on history? You mean draft history of other players??? You realize what other players do in their careers has nothing to do with how someone else does right? Why do people always go to busts to play up on fears? Why never hits? OMG, Payton Manning was great, all QBs taken #1 will be great!
There are no sure things. You could trade for a great player who dies from a health condition nobody knew about.

What he has to do is have is college career translate to the NFL. That is all.
Did he have competition equal to the NFL in college? Then his play in college predicts his play in the NFL.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
First off, Nelson is a beast. He makes getting to the next level look easy, he finishes off his blocks like nobody's business, and has NFL body written all over him. Those are the main reasons why some scouts are considering him a generational talent and most are projecting him to be a top 10 and even a top 5. The last time a true guard was drafted in the top 5 was in 1985, when Bill Fralic was drafted at #2. You could count Leonard Davis in 2001 when he was drafted #2 and played guard for most of his career, even though he played tackle in college. Both of those guys went to have decent careers with a couple of Pro Bowls each, but I would expect a little more from a #2 overall pick.

Since 2008, 10 guards have been taken in the first round with most of them in the latter rounds (20+). Only 1 was taken in the top 10 (Cooper).
There's some ProBowlers in there with Decastro, Long, and Iupati.
You have some busts in Cooper, Watkins, and Tomlinson
You even have a guy who became a Pro-Bowl tackle in Albert.

Which one will Nelson be? He'd have to be as good or better than those with success to be worth a top 10 pick.
Decastro and Iupati when they came out were considered NFL ready, the best in their position, and considered safe picks. Yet, they were selected in the bottom half of the draft. Cooper was selected at 7 with great combine results and productivity as a 3 year starter, but busted due to injuries. How much better is Nelson than Decastro, Iupati, Long or Albert to be taken in the top 10, possibly top 5?

He's a beast for sure. Just not sure how much more beastly than previous prospects, and worth a top 10 pick when quality guards can be found in other rounds. If you look at Pro Bowl rosters, you will see that many of them are 3rd or 4th rounders at guard with some of them converted tackles. I like Nelson, but based on history, he'd have to be way better than any guard that has come out in a generation or do an improved Brandon Albert switchover to be taken in the top 10, let alone the top 5.

This may all be true, but today's NFL is not the same NFL as it was in the past. Previously, defensive tackles were more run stuffers with some pass rushing skills and these were the Warren Sapps and Tommy Harrises of the world. Now Aaron Donald is set to become the highest paid defender in NFL history because teams have discovered that great pass rushers are closer to the QB if they rush from the inside and they will be more successful because they will rush against less athletic guards which amplifies their own athleticism.

That being said, is Nelson that good protecting against the pass rush?

I would be happy if Nelson becomes a Bear because I believe that the Bears now have creative enough people on offense where he will be used to the best of his abilities and, of course, because the Bears having a better chance of scoring points, he would be part of a 4-headed monster of him, Whitehair, Long and Massie (yes, Massie is a good run blocker) trying to grind out a win at the end of games.

I would probably prefer Davenport over Nelson because he is freaky athletic at a prime position, a fast learner and already is stout against the run. Some scouts have said that Davenport will be a better player than Chubbs in 5 years. Edmunds has instinct issues which might never be fixed. Moreover; would Edmunds be able to set the edge if he were to play OLB?

The DBs, though nice, cannot cover WRs forever. Without someone providing a pass rush, our defense will be carved up. The best way to slow down a Tom Brady is to put a ton of pressure on him.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
You realize what other players do in their careers has nothing to do with how someone else does right?
Wait! You are right. I forgot that Penn State had a small history in the 90s of their top running backs being busts in the NFL. Barkley is going to be a bust!

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Probowls, especially for the OL, is a really lousy way to measure success...

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Used to be better before fan voting became such a large component.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Wait! You are right. I forgot that Penn State had a small history in the 90s of their top running backs being busts in the NFL. Barkley is going to be a bust!

That's a history that applies, what kind of players at position does the school produce. Interesting.

I still think Barkley looks like top RB historical talent.