Latest Q+A with Brad Biggs

Sammich

Liked Posts:
By Brad Biggs - April 19, 2018

What would be best for Bears? Three or four quarterbacks go in top seven picks and thus a stud is available at No. 8. Or only one or two QBs go in the top seven so two are still available and the Bears have better chance to trade down? — @sezshwon

I don’t think there is any question that the best scenario for the Bears is for four quarterbacks to come off the board in the first seven picks. That would give the Bears the fourth selection of a non-QB in the draft and give them a shot at a really good player. There’s no telling what the offer would be, if any, to move down from No. 8 in the scenario you outlined. The Bears are hopeful there is a big-time run on quarterbacks to open the draft. They’ve got to be prepared for all possibilities, though.

Why did the Bears make Cameron Meredith an RFA (restricted free agent) tender if they were worried about his knee? — @halasbearreport

That’s a fair question after Meredith departed for the Saints on a $9.6 million, two-year offer sheet, and I think there is a reasonable explanation. The Bears felt good about Meredith and the status of his knee up to a certain dollar amount. They were comfortable with him on the roster at a little less than $2 million this season. When the price went north of that, they had to consider the implications. It would have been odd, in my opinion, had the Bears matched the offer sheet for Meredith when they could have effectively taken him off the market with a second-round tender offer that would have cost $1 million more. If they were not willing to pay him almost $3 million for the season to keep him off the market, why would they be willing to pay him $5.4 million guaranteed, which is what the Saints put in the offer sheet?

Why do you think Dontrelle Inman wasn't re-signed, especially after losing Cam Meredith? — @nbetweenlives

Several readers asked about this. Inman is a player with whom the fan base is familiar, unlike the recently signed Bennie Fowler. I think Fowler makes more sense for the Bears, though. In a good offense, Inman probably is a No. 4 receiver based on his skill level and production. Fowler is a fourth or fifth option in a good offense, but he offers more value because of his ability on special teams. The receivers at the bottom of the depth chart need to be able to contribute on special teams. If the Bears want to get better on special teams, they need to get better players, and Fowler is a move in this direction. I think it’s a good move.

Do you think Bradley Chubb is worthy of trading up for? Edge rush is key in the NFL, so giving up mid-round hopefuls seems like a no brainer. — @ojbutta1

The cost to move up to get Chubb might be a little bit more than you would expect. The Bears already are without a third-round pick, so giving up the No. 8 overall pick, their second-round pick and potentially more to grab Chubb would really strip their draft class of depth. Chubb is a talented player and far and away the best prospect at his position. I don’t believe he will be there at No. 8, and I’d be a little surprised if the Bears were interested in trading up in the first round for the third year in a row. But stranger things have happened.

Why haven’t the Bears signed Dez Bryant? #beast — @blavold

I’m not sure how much Bryant you’ve watched the past couple of seasons, but I’m not sure I would describe him as a beast these days. Bryant hasn’t produced a 100-yard game in the regular season since Nov. 13, 2016. Elite receivers are more productive than that. The Bears aren’t going to add a player who is going to come in and make a lot of noise for their young quarterback, especially after they’ve invested heavily in Allen Robinson as their No. 1 receiver. Let’s put this one to rest right now.
NFL mock draft: Who will the Bears select at No. 8?

If the Bears decide the top-rated players on the board are (Alabama safety) Minkah Fitzpatrick and (Ohio State cornerback) Denzel Ward when their pick arrives at No. 8, whom do they pick and why? — @roybal5598

That’s a good question. I really like Ward, and a couple of college scouts I have spoken to said he was better in coverage at Ohio State than Marshon Lattimore, who was tremendous as a rookie for the Saints in 2017. Ward is smaller and thinner than Lattimore, and there are questions about how good he will be in press man coverage at the NFL level. I tend to think defensive coordinator Vic Fangio prefers corners with a little more size than Ward, who measured 5-foot-10, 191 pounds at the combine. Does that rule out Ward? Absolutely not. But he might not be a perfect fit for the Bears. Considering the investments made at cornerback this offseason, maybe they opt for Fitzpatrick, who could potentially start at safety Day 1.

When I look at the mock drafts out there, there are a dozen players in the second round I’d love to have, and the Bears have some holes to fill. What do you think of trading down all the way to No. 22 with the Bills and picking up their two second-rounders (Nos. 53 and 56)? Then the Bears take (Florida defensive tackle) Taven Bryan at 22. — @docpearce

The Bills hold the 12th and 22nd picks in the first round. If they move up, I think they will look to get ahead of the Bears’ No. 8 to draft a quarterback. They already jumped up from No. 21 to No. 12 in one trade. According to the commonly-referred-to draft value charts, the Bears’ eighth pick is worth 1,400 points. The Bills’ 22nd pick is worth 780, the 53rd 370 and the 56th 340. That’s a total of 1,490 points, so the value is close. That would give the Bears some extra ammunition, and Bryan could go in the back half of Round 1. Again, though, I’d stress that the Bills might want to move higher than No. 8 for a quarterback.

What non-division game looks the most interesting before the schedule is revealed Thursday? I don’t know why, but it seems like the Bears and 49ers get compared often. — @terrence_j_naus

I think you start with Tom Brady and the Patriots coming to Soldier Field. It will be only the second time and certainly the final one Brady will play in Chicago. Facing Jimmy Garoppolo in San Francisco will be interesting, and the Rams at Soldier Field will provide a strong test for Vic Fangio’s defense. There’s a meeting with Adam Gase and the Dolphins in Miami. It’s an interesting slate for the Bears in Matt Nagy’s first season, and I think the fan base is pretty fired up for it to get here.

Where do you think the Bears need to add depth? And who do you think, free agent or draft prospect, should they aim for? — @chibears_fan

I’d start at inside linebacker, outside linebacker and guard. The Bears have been thin at inside linebacker in the voluntary minicamp this week, with Nick Kwiatkoski, John Timu and Jonathan Anderson on the field and Danny Trevathan away for personal reasons. The Bears need to fortify this position, and I’d be surprised if they don’t draft an inside linebacker next week. They could use some help on the edge, and I’d also expect them to seek help for the interior of the offensive line.

Outside of the Bills, who could be good potential trade down partners? — @dgonderman

The best partner to trade down with is the team that comes with the most enticing offer. You never know who will want to climb up in the draft or what they will be after.

I am a bit worried that the Bears select a guard and wide receiver in the first two rounds (don’t misunderstand me, I love Notre Dame guard Quenton Nelson at No. 8), but I think that Vic Fangio needs help on the defensive side. Do you think Fangio feels left alone by Matt Nagy and Ryan Pace because they just look at the offense? — @jalali_jan

I understand what you are saying, but if the Bears have a really high grade on a wide receiver in Round 2 — and the grades for the available defensive players aren’t quite as high — I think you’ve got to go with the player you really like. If you don’t, you’re not being true to the process, and it’s hard to argue against the idea of getting a young receiver who can be developed in the system. That being said, I would guess the Bears come away with at least one defensive player in the first two picks. They could potentially trade down in Round 2 to add a little more depth to their draft, and if they don’t add a player like Nelson in Round 1, they still should be able to find a quality interior offensive lineman in the middle rounds. If the Bears want the defense to really take a step forward, they need to give Fangio a little more to work with.
Bears voluntary minicamp at Halas Hall

The Bears haven’t had a first team All-Pro since 2012 (Brandon Marshall and Charles Tillman), and I’m not sure the next one is on the current roster. Some good players (Kyle Long, Cody Whitehair, Jordan Howard, Allen Robinson, Akiem Hicks, Eddie Goldman, Leonard Floyd, Kyle Fuller) but no great ones, at least not yet. What’s it going to take for the drought to end? — @mike__chicago

Well, one of those players you referenced will have to take a major step forward or the Bears will really have to hit on a player in the draft. You know what else will help? Winning. Teams that have success tend to get more recognition when it comes to postseason awards.

Akiem Hicks said the goal for the defense is to move from a top-10 defense to a top-five defense. Do they have a legitimate shot at making that happen this year? — @tomwade18

Sure. They probably need to upgrade the personnel a little bit. The moves made on defense largely have been re-signing players. The Bears ranked 10th last season in yards allowed. If we’re looking strictly at that metric, I’d say the offense needs to step forward for the Bears to make those gains. They were 28th in time of possession last season. If they can control the ball better, they will give the defense more time to rest and, presumably, the ability to control the pace a little better.

Can you give us a little information about Rashaad Coward moving to guard? How often do things like this work out? I can’t think of any Bears moving positions like this in recent history. Curious what they saw in Coward. — @dj_jaco_10

When the Bears were strapped for offensive linemen in practice last season, they briefly moved Coward to the other side of the ball. He caught the attention of the organization at that point. There was discussion during the offseason about what to do with the undrafted player from Old Dominion, who appeared in one game for the Bears as a rookie. Should they allow him to compete at nose guard as a potential role player behind Eddie Goldman or give him a shot with a position switch? The decision was made to flip him to guard. It’s certainly interesting, given his 6-foot-5, 320-pound frame and his ability to move. There’s no question it will take some time, and position switches for undrafted players are long shots. Let’s be realistic: The odds already are stacked against undrafted players. The Bears liked the way Coward worked last season, though. A similar transition worked for the team with former defensive tackle-turned-right tackle James “Big Cat” Williams — although that was a quarter-century ago.

I hear a lot about the ongoing expansion to Halas Hall. What are the specifics? After it is finished, what will the Bears have that they don’t now, and do you think it will make a significant impact? Do their current facilities lag behind those of consistently successful teams? — @johngunningisj

The Bears are installing two more practice fields right now behind the Walter Payton Center that they will likely use in the offseason, with practices during the season likely moving to the fields closer to the building. They also are making a large expansion to their football operations area. Will this make a major impact for the team? It will make things nicer for those who make a living at Halas Hall, no question about that. Will it have a significant impact in the product you see on the field? I don’t know. It’s about players and building through the draft, and I don’t know that bigger and better offices and larger meeting rooms will make that happen. It certainly will give the Bears a facility of which they can be very proud.

In honor of tax season, when a player signs a one-day contract to retire is it generally just a $1 contract, or is there an actual payment involved? It would be a pain to get a W2 for $1. — @grandpapabeartn

The Bears will sign returner Devin Hester and running back Matt Forte to one-day contracts Monday, allowing them to officially retire as Bears. Generally speaking, these types of contracts include no money. I doubt Hester or Forte are paid for re-signing with the team for 24 hours or so. They might get a jersey and a chance to visit with some folks they know in the building.

-Chicago Tribune

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
By Brad Biggs - April 19, 2018

What would be best for Bears? Three or four quarterbacks go in top seven picks and thus a stud is available at No. 8. Or only one or two QBs go in the top seven so two are still available and the Bears have better chance to trade down? — @sezshwon

I don’t think there is any question that the best scenario for the Bears is for four quarterbacks to come off the board in the first seven picks. That would give the Bears the fourth selection of a non-QB in the draft and give them a shot at a really good player. There’s no telling what the offer would be, if any, to move down from No. 8 in the scenario you outlined. The Bears are hopeful there is a big-time run on quarterbacks to open the draft. They’ve got to be prepared for all possibilities, though.

Why did the Bears make Cameron Meredith an RFA (restricted free agent) tender if they were worried about his knee? — @halasbearreport

That’s a fair question after Meredith departed for the Saints on a $9.6 million, two-year offer sheet, and I think there is a reasonable explanation. The Bears felt good about Meredith and the status of his knee up to a certain dollar amount. They were comfortable with him on the roster at a little less than $2 million this season. When the price went north of that, they had to consider the implications. It would have been odd, in my opinion, had the Bears matched the offer sheet for Meredith when they could have effectively taken him off the market with a second-round tender offer that would have cost $1 million more. If they were not willing to pay him almost $3 million for the season to keep him off the market, why would they be willing to pay him $5.4 million guaranteed, which is what the Saints put in the offer sheet?

Why do you think Dontrelle Inman wasn't re-signed, especially after losing Cam Meredith? — @nbetweenlives

Several readers asked about this. Inman is a player with whom the fan base is familiar, unlike the recently signed Bennie Fowler. I think Fowler makes more sense for the Bears, though. In a good offense, Inman probably is a No. 4 receiver based on his skill level and production. Fowler is a fourth or fifth option in a good offense, but he offers more value because of his ability on special teams. The receivers at the bottom of the depth chart need to be able to contribute on special teams. If the Bears want to get better on special teams, they need to get better players, and Fowler is a move in this direction. I think it’s a good move.

Do you think Bradley Chubb is worthy of trading up for? Edge rush is key in the NFL, so giving up mid-round hopefuls seems like a no brainer. — @ojbutta1

The cost to move up to get Chubb might be a little bit more than you would expect. The Bears already are without a third-round pick, so giving up the No. 8 overall pick, their second-round pick and potentially more to grab Chubb would really strip their draft class of depth. Chubb is a talented player and far and away the best prospect at his position. I don’t believe he will be there at No. 8, and I’d be a little surprised if the Bears were interested in trading up in the first round for the third year in a row. But stranger things have happened.

Why haven’t the Bears signed Dez Bryant? #beast — @blavold

I’m not sure how much Bryant you’ve watched the past couple of seasons, but I’m not sure I would describe him as a beast these days. Bryant hasn’t produced a 100-yard game in the regular season since Nov. 13, 2016. Elite receivers are more productive than that. The Bears aren’t going to add a player who is going to come in and make a lot of noise for their young quarterback, especially after they’ve invested heavily in Allen Robinson as their No. 1 receiver. Let’s put this one to rest right now.
NFL mock draft: Who will the Bears select at No. 8?

If the Bears decide the top-rated players on the board are (Alabama safety) Minkah Fitzpatrick and (Ohio State cornerback) Denzel Ward when their pick arrives at No. 8, whom do they pick and why? — @roybal5598

That’s a good question. I really like Ward, and a couple of college scouts I have spoken to said he was better in coverage at Ohio State than Marshon Lattimore, who was tremendous as a rookie for the Saints in 2017. Ward is smaller and thinner than Lattimore, and there are questions about how good he will be in press man coverage at the NFL level. I tend to think defensive coordinator Vic Fangio prefers corners with a little more size than Ward, who measured 5-foot-10, 191 pounds at the combine. Does that rule out Ward? Absolutely not. But he might not be a perfect fit for the Bears. Considering the investments made at cornerback this offseason, maybe they opt for Fitzpatrick, who could potentially start at safety Day 1.

When I look at the mock drafts out there, there are a dozen players in the second round I’d love to have, and the Bears have some holes to fill. What do you think of trading down all the way to No. 22 with the Bills and picking up their two second-rounders (Nos. 53 and 56)? Then the Bears take (Florida defensive tackle) Taven Bryan at 22. — @docpearce

The Bills hold the 12th and 22nd picks in the first round. If they move up, I think they will look to get ahead of the Bears’ No. 8 to draft a quarterback. They already jumped up from No. 21 to No. 12 in one trade. According to the commonly-referred-to draft value charts, the Bears’ eighth pick is worth 1,400 points. The Bills’ 22nd pick is worth 780, the 53rd 370 and the 56th 340. That’s a total of 1,490 points, so the value is close. That would give the Bears some extra ammunition, and Bryan could go in the back half of Round 1. Again, though, I’d stress that the Bills might want to move higher than No. 8 for a quarterback.

What non-division game looks the most interesting before the schedule is revealed Thursday? I don’t know why, but it seems like the Bears and 49ers get compared often. — @terrence_j_naus

I think you start with Tom Brady and the Patriots coming to Soldier Field. It will be only the second time and certainly the final one Brady will play in Chicago. Facing Jimmy Garoppolo in San Francisco will be interesting, and the Rams at Soldier Field will provide a strong test for Vic Fangio’s defense. There’s a meeting with Adam Gase and the Dolphins in Miami. It’s an interesting slate for the Bears in Matt Nagy’s first season, and I think the fan base is pretty fired up for it to get here.

Where do you think the Bears need to add depth? And who do you think, free agent or draft prospect, should they aim for? — @chibears_fan

I’d start at inside linebacker, outside linebacker and guard. The Bears have been thin at inside linebacker in the voluntary minicamp this week, with Nick Kwiatkoski, John Timu and Jonathan Anderson on the field and Danny Trevathan away for personal reasons. The Bears need to fortify this position, and I’d be surprised if they don’t draft an inside linebacker next week. They could use some help on the edge, and I’d also expect them to seek help for the interior of the offensive line.

Outside of the Bills, who could be good potential trade down partners? — @dgonderman

The best partner to trade down with is the team that comes with the most enticing offer. You never know who will want to climb up in the draft or what they will be after.

I am a bit worried that the Bears select a guard and wide receiver in the first two rounds (don’t misunderstand me, I love Notre Dame guard Quenton Nelson at No. 8), but I think that Vic Fangio needs help on the defensive side. Do you think Fangio feels left alone by Matt Nagy and Ryan Pace because they just look at the offense? — @jalali_jan

I understand what you are saying, but if the Bears have a really high grade on a wide receiver in Round 2 — and the grades for the available defensive players aren’t quite as high — I think you’ve got to go with the player you really like. If you don’t, you’re not being true to the process, and it’s hard to argue against the idea of getting a young receiver who can be developed in the system. That being said, I would guess the Bears come away with at least one defensive player in the first two picks. They could potentially trade down in Round 2 to add a little more depth to their draft, and if they don’t add a player like Nelson in Round 1, they still should be able to find a quality interior offensive lineman in the middle rounds. If the Bears want the defense to really take a step forward, they need to give Fangio a little more to work with.
Bears voluntary minicamp at Halas Hall

The Bears haven’t had a first team All-Pro since 2012 (Brandon Marshall and Charles Tillman), and I’m not sure the next one is on the current roster. Some good players (Kyle Long, Cody Whitehair, Jordan Howard, Allen Robinson, Akiem Hicks, Eddie Goldman, Leonard Floyd, Kyle Fuller) but no great ones, at least not yet. What’s it going to take for the drought to end? — @mike__chicago

Well, one of those players you referenced will have to take a major step forward or the Bears will really have to hit on a player in the draft. You know what else will help? Winning. Teams that have success tend to get more recognition when it comes to postseason awards.

Akiem Hicks said the goal for the defense is to move from a top-10 defense to a top-five defense. Do they have a legitimate shot at making that happen this year? — @tomwade18

Sure. They probably need to upgrade the personnel a little bit. The moves made on defense largely have been re-signing players. The Bears ranked 10th last season in yards allowed. If we’re looking strictly at that metric, I’d say the offense needs to step forward for the Bears to make those gains. They were 28th in time of possession last season. If they can control the ball better, they will give the defense more time to rest and, presumably, the ability to control the pace a little better.

Can you give us a little information about Rashaad Coward moving to guard? How often do things like this work out? I can’t think of any Bears moving positions like this in recent history. Curious what they saw in Coward. — @dj_jaco_10

When the Bears were strapped for offensive linemen in practice last season, they briefly moved Coward to the other side of the ball. He caught the attention of the organization at that point. There was discussion during the offseason about what to do with the undrafted player from Old Dominion, who appeared in one game for the Bears as a rookie. Should they allow him to compete at nose guard as a potential role player behind Eddie Goldman or give him a shot with a position switch? The decision was made to flip him to guard. It’s certainly interesting, given his 6-foot-5, 320-pound frame and his ability to move. There’s no question it will take some time, and position switches for undrafted players are long shots. Let’s be realistic: The odds already are stacked against undrafted players. The Bears liked the way Coward worked last season, though. A similar transition worked for the team with former defensive tackle-turned-right tackle James “Big Cat” Williams — although that was a quarter-century ago.

I hear a lot about the ongoing expansion to Halas Hall. What are the specifics? After it is finished, what will the Bears have that they don’t now, and do you think it will make a significant impact? Do their current facilities lag behind those of consistently successful teams? — @johngunningisj

The Bears are installing two more practice fields right now behind the Walter Payton Center that they will likely use in the offseason, with practices during the season likely moving to the fields closer to the building. They also are making a large expansion to their football operations area. Will this make a major impact for the team? It will make things nicer for those who make a living at Halas Hall, no question about that. Will it have a significant impact in the product you see on the field? I don’t know. It’s about players and building through the draft, and I don’t know that bigger and better offices and larger meeting rooms will make that happen. It certainly will give the Bears a facility of which they can be very proud.

In honor of tax season, when a player signs a one-day contract to retire is it generally just a $1 contract, or is there an actual payment involved? It would be a pain to get a W2 for $1. — @grandpapabeartn

The Bears will sign returner Devin Hester and running back Matt Forte to one-day contracts Monday, allowing them to officially retire as Bears. Generally speaking, these types of contracts include no money. I doubt Hester or Forte are paid for re-signing with the team for 24 hours or so. They might get a jersey and a chance to visit with some folks they know in the building.

-Chicago Tribune

I don’t believe this to be a reasonable explanation at all.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don’t believe this to be a reasonable explanation at all.

Pace didn't expect him to get offers with that knee. He either didn't care that much about Cam or should have done the 2nd rnd tender. Maybe a combo of the 2 but more the 2nd.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pace didn't expect him to get offers with that knee. He either didn't care that much about Cam or should have done the 2nd rnd tender. Maybe a combo of the 2 but more the 2nd.

I think he thought 1 year just wasn't worth it and anything more than 3 mil per 2 or more years was too much.....

Luke

Liked Posts:
Biggs is useless. I'd rather read the mailbag from any number of the quality posters here on CCS.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think he thought 1 year just wasn't worth it and anything more than 3 mil per 2 or more years was too much.....

The 2nd round tender is for 1 year and you can cut the player if he doesn't look to make it back. The extra $1m over that 1 year is not the difference between keeping someone you like vs letting him go. He thought the knee would keep teams away and he'd save the $1m without loss. He was wrong. I'm not going to bury him over an informed miscalculation but that's what it was.

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
On a scale of 1-to-10, The 2018 Bears can't be rated because Biggs broke the scale . . .

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Half of this is surface-level shit any of us could write. The other half is plain wrong while trying to be the contrarian smartest guy in the room.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
TL;DR

What were his feelings on raspberry jelly donuts?