IST: Cubs @ Rockies

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Love seeing Javy do some things.

Good team offense. 5 dudes had 2+ hits last night. I hope they keep this up instead of getting shutout the rest of the series.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
He'll be back next weekend...

It'll give Almora another 5 or 6 games to prove he belongs in there everyday..
Unless of course Maddon decides to go with Happ again..

As far as Russell goes, he basically a glove right now.. he Heyward at SS

Im not so sure they stick with him if he continues to struggle. Were not talking just a season slump, he in his 4th year now and he been over .240 once, his first year (2015) at .242.
He had one good year (2016) with power and RBIs..

Short term if the struggle continues,we could see more of Baez and Zobrist. long term if the struggle gets worse and goes into June July, a deadline deal for a SS or 2Bmen could be looked into

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Fans always want a team full of offensive weapons. We have been one of the highest scoring teams the past few years. We do not need to sacrifice solid, winning D for another bat. Our pitchers will suffer and people will look only at the offensive output of his replacement. Taking Russell out of the lineup to get Happ more games at 2nd is a fool’s game.

I honestly believe we’d be better off with fewer guys Joe believes need to start.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Happ is a good bat off the bench and good depth in case of injury.

But he is not a better option than anybody who started yesterday.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
What does that have to do with walking 2 guys?
His high fastballs are higher in Coors?

He also had a bad game against the Pirates at home .2 ip 3 hits 3 walks

Release point. Remember Chatwood came in to baseball as a 4 seem/12/6 hammer over the top. Then had to adjust to 3/4 cutter- 2 seem Pitcher there. Air is lighter so a flyball pitcher will get hammered.

But for a guy that is routeen based with muscle memory in place it is hard to readjust in game to small offsets. Like light air. Or dry conditions that causes grip issues on the ball.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Happ is a good bat off the bench and good depth in case of injury.

But he is not a better option than anybody who started yesterday.

Right now ya. It is easy to put that out after Almora’s game. But if Happ comes back and goes 3/4 with 2 HR’s then the other side starts chanting.

My opinion is all things being equal Almora starts due to the runs saved factor

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Fans always want a team full of offensive weapons. We have been one of the highest scoring teams the past few years. We do not need to sacrifice solid, winning D for another bat. Our pitchers will suffer and people will look only at the offensive output of his replacement. Taking Russell out of the lineup to get Happ more games at 2nd is a fool’s game.

I honestly believe we’d be better off with fewer guys Joe believes need to start.
Didnt say he has to be Manny Machado or they should sacrifice defense..
I definately didnt say he should be replaced by Happ, i never even mentioned Happ.
I wonder sometimes what words you all see when you read peoples posts..

I simply said that Russell needs to pick up his offensive game a bit if he wants to be an everyday player..
He got to do better then what he been over the past 3 + years, which has been an under .240 hitter and low OBP guy.
I added it wouldnt surprise me to see if he continues to struggle, Maddon playing Baez at SS with Zobrist at 2B and do what he and Chili are doing with Happ now and work with him ..

But

If the struggle continues, then it possible they look into bringing in someone else at the deadline..
Doesn't need to be a SS cause they can play Baez there, it could be a 2nd basemen..

Also

Lets not be fooled by overall runs scored..
They have some games where they score a bunch of runs to pump up that total.. 17 games in..
They have 7 games of 6+ runs
And
They have 6 games of 3 or less, including 3 shutouts

Their offense either clicks all at once or you get nothing..

You cant just have majority of team that mostly gloves and not expect some offensive production from them.. basically dont want a bunch of Heywards in the lineup

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Release point. Remember Chatwood came in to baseball as a 4 seem/12/6 hammer over the top. Then had to adjust to 3/4 cutter- 2 seem Pitcher there. Air is lighter so a flyball pitcher will get hammered.

But for a guy that is routeen based with muscle memory in place it is hard to readjust in game to small offsets. Like light air. Or dry conditions that causes grip issues on the ball.
Ok.. i get that
But
He didnt get in trouble yesterday because of his pitches being high and they hit him hard..
He got in trouble yesterday because he came in and walked 2 guys which ended up scoring

So, saying he sucked yesterday because they played in Coors field isnt an excuse for him

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Happ will have a better career than Almora or Schwarber

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Ok.. i get that
But
He didnt get in trouble yesterday because of his pitches being high and they hit him hard..
He got in trouble yesterday because he came in and walked 2 guys which ended up scoring

So, saying he sucked yesterday because they played in Coors field isnt an excuse for him

Body of work is positive in general. Let’s call it a Coor’s issue

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Hard to say that. On the team Rizzo, Bryant and Zobrist are complete players.

Baez is fringe right now.

Heyward has in the past. Maybe able to do it again.

Happ avg D and much swing and miss. Right now he is Brett Jackson with more versatility.

Almora has a higher floor. Him hitting .265 in a full time role would be a strong guess.

Schwarber... idk still. I need to see a full season from him playing at a high clip. Right now he is a platoon player

TL1961

Liked Posts:

I think Happ ill have a fine career. He has a lot of offensive potential and is not bad defensively, and versatile. That does not make him a better option today.

With the offense the Cubs have, Almora's D in CF is a plus. He doesn't hurt you offensively. He's not speedy, but smart and aggressive on the bases. I think Almora needs more chances than the Cubs have given him.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
I think Happ ill have a fine career. He has a lot of offensive potential and is not bad defensively, and versatile. That does not make him a better option today.

With the offense the Cubs have, Almora's D in CF is a plus. He doesn't hurt you offensively. He's not speedy, but smart and aggressive on the bases. I think Almora needs more chances than the Cubs have given him.
These are young, developing players and their relative positions may change. Last year and this spring, Happ was obviously the better player. Happ has stalled at the opening of the season and Almora is hot. I expect it all to change again

CSF77

Liked Posts:
These are young, developing players and their relative positions may change. Last year and this spring, Happ was obviously the better player. Happ has stalled at the opening of the season and Almora is hot. I expect it all to change again

Absolutely. We saw with Baez how fast a opinion can change. Batting .170 and after a hot streak near .300 with MVP vibe.

It means little in April.

Look who is at 3B on San Diego now...and his torrid start...

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Zobrist placed on DL
Bote brought up and will start at 3B today

Bote is probably the best hitting prospect the cubs have now that close to ready

A.C. Milan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Kobe is the best and then Rizzo, it's pretty obvious we all agree here, but between Almora, Baez, Russell, Happ and Schwarber, between all these young guns i think Schwarber will end up as the best hitter, power and the will to take walks is a deadly combination

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Kobe is the best and then Rizzo, it's pretty obvious we all agree here, but between Almora, Baez, Russell, Happ and Schwarber, between all these young guns i think Schwarber will end up as the best hitter, power and the will to take walks is a deadly combination
Seeing Schwarber hitting the ball through the vacated left side for singles is encouraging ..
There a time to slug and time to just get a hit and get on base..
He matures to that type of hitter, he will be special..

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Didnt say he has to be Manny Machado or they should sacrifice defense..
I definately didnt say he should be replaced by Happ, i never even mentioned Happ.
I wonder sometimes what words you all see when you read peoples posts..

I simply said that Russell needs to pick up his offensive game a bit if he wants to be an everyday player..
He got to do better then what he been over the past 3 + years, which has been an under .240 hitter and low OBP guy.
I added it wouldnt surprise me to see if he continues to struggle, Maddon playing Baez at SS with Zobrist at 2B and do what he and Chili are doing with Happ now and work with him ..

But

If the struggle continues, then it possible they look into bringing in someone else at the deadline..
Doesn't need to be a SS cause they can play Baez there, it could be a 2nd basemen..

Also

Lets not be fooled by overall runs scored..
They have some games where they score a bunch of runs to pump up that total.. 17 games in..
They have 7 games of 6+ runs
And
They have 6 games of 3 or less, including 3 shutouts

Their offense either clicks all at once or you get nothing..

You cant just have majority of team that mostly gloves and not expect some offensive production from them.. basically dont want a bunch of Heywards in the lineup

Being replaced by Happ is when Happ goes to second and Javy to short. You know, like the whole time Russell was out last year.

I simply am lobbying to keep the great defensive option at one of the key defensive positions. Period.

I can not think of a single move that would be worse than trading for an IF to move Russell out.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Joe determines that the minor league guy must be better than his major league players, so plays him tonight. He rotates his 3rd baseman to RF and removes his best OF defender in the league's biggest OF.

Stop overthinking it, Joe.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Being replaced by Happ is when Happ goes to second and Javy to short. You know, like the whole time Russell was out last year.

I simply am lobbying to keep the great defensive option at one of the key defensive positions. Period.
Zobrist would play 2nd when Baez plays SS