Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I just say Hutchinson will pan out and probably be worth the 7 pick. Carter was a safe pick. It was a pick by a team not looking for a superstar, but looking for solid. If Lavine does sign elsewhere, we will be looking for a superstar.

I dont think there is any doubt Lopez will start out of camp, they will try to move him at the deadline and let Carter take over from there. They cant put Lopez on the bench and expect anyone to give us anything for his services in the playoffs. The thing that stuck out most from Paxson was saying its a good thing to make a rookie earn his minutes.

Either way, back to business, why is Asik still here? Lets look at giving him away or buying him out so it seems like the team is doing something positive.
You're really high on Hutchison aren't you lol? I mean, I hope you're right. He's got some very good qualities about him so we'll see.

Agree on the points about Lopez and Asik, I would perhaps think they would try to move both in an effort to land someone of substance, but that may be too much to hope. I figure both will be gone by season's end, but who knows with GarPax.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Carter likely gives the Bulls their next Noah. A guy that will play excellent post-defense, rebound the hell out of the ball, and make all the hustle plays. I can't imagine a scenario where the offense runs through Carter unless he makes astronomical strides as a player. The one advantage Carter has right out of the gate is that his offensive game is far more polished compared to where Noah was coming out of college. If Carter can be a Noah with a better offensive game without all the feet problems, that's a good pick for the Bulls considering how the draft unfolded in front of them.

Carter is way further along on offense then Noah.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
For better AND for worse, Noah was good because he had an elite level of competitive drive that overcame his lack of core strength and just general bad big-man skills. He was a guard in an awkward body that wound up being a shit NBA guard and a shit NBA big. Without good coaching, Noah would never have brought those guard strengths to the table in a way that brought him to be an all-NBA defender. He was forced to play C when he was a more natural PF in prior generations, because the league was so weak at C for so many years, it bought him the time needed to fit his game to his body and this league. It's not at all comparable to WCJ who is a big man with big man hands and footwork and big man vision from day one.

WCJ has the best footwork in the class for Centers, but he is also the slowest among the first round bigs in many ways. So really, he may have gotten away with being slow(sorry, he's actually not slow, this is just by comparison that someone like him is described as slow) in college, but the NBA will expose him. All his stats, usages, all that goes to shit without addressing his quickness problems. Once he gets momentum, he makes good decisions, so I expect the Bulls to use him in motion that from a set point early on. If he plays from a stand still, he'll rack up fouls like crazy.
All of which works out on paper in a weird way, because ROLO will have opportunities to both rest and boost his trade value.

However the competitive drive? Such an under-rated aspect of a players personality. You assume to make it that far, everyone is competitive at a high level. Maybe it's good that he doesn't seem stupid competitive? But maybe that stupid level of competitiveness is what gets him from being a starter as his ceiling in this league, to becoming an all-nba player, someone that makes a few ASGs, someone that has a few MVP votes in their career. Until he gets there, it's all lip service. And if he doesn't, the Bulls basically drafted the safest Center in range of the selection, when they already have the safest Center in the league.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
You're really high on Hutchison aren't you lol? I mean, I hope you're right. He's got some very good qualities about him so we'll see.

Agree on the points about Lopez and Asik, I would perhaps think they would try to move both in an effort to land someone of substance, but that may be too much to hope. I figure both will be gone by season's end, but who knows with GarPax.

Just trying to get excited about something. I just see the best player on his team compared to the 4th best player on the Duke team. There is also a huge hole at small forward unless Garpax ends up moving Asik and a few others for a free agent that does not fit.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
For better AND for worse, Noah was good because he had an elite level of competitive drive that overcame his lack of core strength and just general bad big-man skills. He was a guard in an awkward body that wound up being a shit NBA guard and a shit NBA big. Without good coaching, Noah would never have brought those guard strengths to the table in a way that brought him to be an all-NBA defender. He was forced to play C when he was a more natural PF in prior generations, because the league was so weak at C for so many years, it bought him the time needed to fit his game to his body and this league. It's not at all comparable to WCJ who is a big man with big man hands and footwork and big man vision from day one.

WCJ has the best footwork in the class for Centers, but he is also the slowest among the first round bigs in many ways. So really, he may have gotten away with being slow(sorry, he's actually not slow, this is just by comparison that someone like him is described as slow) in college, but the NBA will expose him. All his stats, usages, all that goes to shit without addressing his quickness problems. Once he gets momentum, he makes good decisions, so I expect the Bulls to use him in motion that from a set point early on. If he plays from a stand still, he'll rack up fouls like crazy.
All of which works out on paper in a weird way, because ROLO will have opportunities to both rest and boost his trade value.

However the competitive drive? Such an under-rated aspect of a players personality. You assume to make it that far, everyone is competitive at a high level. Maybe it's good that he doesn't seem stupid competitive? But maybe that stupid level of competitiveness is what gets him from being a starter as his ceiling in this league, to becoming an all-nba player, someone that makes a few ASGs, someone that has a few MVP votes in their career. Until he gets there, it's all lip service. And if he doesn't, the Bulls basically drafted the safest Center in range of the selection, when they already have the safest Center in the league.

Noahs problems started when he decided to become a post player. He got out of his role that got him to where he was. Eventually it was get the ball to noah and let noah shoot and nobody else rebound. When he was all D, all rebounding, all frisby free throws, he was more productive than when he was trying to make that awful hook shot.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Noahs problems started when he decided to become a post player. He got out of his role that got him to where he was. Eventually it was get the ball to noah and let noah shoot and nobody else rebound. When he was all D, all rebounding, all frisby free throws, he was more productive than when he was trying to make that awful hook shot.
There was a point where that running lefty hook was not a bad offensive option...it was short lived, but it existed. What odd times those were

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I have a feeling the Bulls are going to surprise people next season. They may not be great, but I think they'll be competitive and potentially grab the 8th or 7th seed.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
There was a point where that running lefty hook was not a bad offensive option...it was short lived, but it existed. What odd times those were
That ended as soon as he had a wrist injury.

czman

Liked Posts:

I find that to be a terrible assessment of Noah. If you go back and look at the scouting reports everyone thought Noah would he a really good rebounded and defender. He had good height length and excellent speed quickness and agility for someone his size. He was not a banger, but when he came in the banging C/PF was already being phased out. Thibs did not make Noah a great pick and roll defender. Noah had the length, agility and foot speed that very few centers had.

Yes, Noah did have elite competitiveness, and that is how he got better at those guard skills. He became a close to average shooter, good passer and ball handler. The offense running through the high post was a Thibs design and any decent offensive mind would not have been doing that. Noah was not a shit anything. He was a great pick and roll defender, one of the best I have seen, and a very good rebounder. He was an average offensive center for the time who had some strengths and some weaknesses. Considering he was drafted 9th he had a pretty good career.

Honestly, Noah gets way to little credit now. probably because of the way he has flamed out (injuries). He probably got too much credit at his peak and he is getting looked back on too poorly now. I guess that is the way a lot of good players with short careers get remembered.

czman

Liked Posts:

That is not Noah's problem. That is the coaches problem. The Bulls had a terrible offensive design that had no place in the NBA.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I can't hate on Noah for anything he's done in his career...the guy was the heart and soul of the team and somehow managed to get himself MVP votes in a time where injuries resulted in him basically being the team. He had his strengths and weaknesses, but he was a good center in this league, regardless of how weak the center position was. If Carter can reach anywhere near the success Noah achieved with us, this pick is an astounding success.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:

He was also good at tapping in misses but after the thumb injury in Roses MVP year he never really regained that.

Anyway WCJ is a radically different player than Noah. He may not be the center piece of the offense exactly but he'll be able to provide more offensively than garbage buckets and hustle plays....well hopefully.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
This just all started by me saying we replaced Taj Gibson and eventually getting compared to Noah since Taj went 26 and Noah and his clown suit went 9. The whole point was getting a superstar at 7 instead of getting another late first that becomes your star. As long as we get one star its a better draft than most teams got.

Hammer

Liked Posts:
Best case scenario for WCJ is Horford 2.0, when you combine him with Markannen (whose best case scenario is Nowitzki 2.0), you have a pretty good future in frontcourt.

Too bad Bulls PG/SG/SF positions suck, except for maaaaaybe LaVine (and maaaaaaaaaaaaaybe Dunn), if they re-sign him.

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
Why are we ignoring the fact that we drafted Marlo Stanfield in the first round?

czman

Liked Posts:
Best case scenario for WCJ is Horford 2.0, when you combine him with Markannen (whose best case scenario is Nowitzki 2.0), you have a pretty good future in frontcourt.

Too bad Bulls PG/SG/SF positions suck, except for maaaaaybe LaVine (and maaaaaaaaaaaaaybe Dunn), if they re-sign him.

I admittedly did not watch much of that shit show last season. I don't think Markannen has a ceiling of Nowitzki. I suspect he at best is more like Rashard Lewis. I know different skin tone and nationality, but Lewis seems like a much better comp to me.

The Bulls are terrible at SF and about average at the guards. I suspect another shitshow of a season. I really hope I am presently surprised. The NBA is terrible right now so the Bulls may make the 8th seed because so many teams are just freaking awful.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I think the definition of Dirk has really changed. He was the anomoly being the only white guy that was tall, strong, and could dribble and shoot. Toni Kucoc got some of those comparisons, but currently, its really expected.

Its the current nba, big guys take their defender outside and the little guards get to the rim.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
Wendell Carter looking good. 2 early monster blocks. Blakeney just getting buckets

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
LeBron and his team reportedly called Kyrie Irving "soft" for missing 2 eastern conference finals back in 2015 with a knee injury. The same injury that is probably partly responsible for the broken kneecap he got in the finals.

Just another reason I can't stand LeBron. The guy that gets carried off the court by teammates for a fucking cramp is going to call a guy soft.