Draft Thread - June 21st 2018

Toast88

Liked Posts:
No one really fell to the Bulls, so if MPJ just wasn’t their guy, I’m not sure what they were supposed to do. I’m not psyched about the Carter pick—I’d rather swing for the fences. But I also can’t fault the Bulls much, because it’s not like a Mo Bamba or Luca Doncic or even a Trae Young was still there. They did what they could with their two picks, and that’s fine. Not great. But fine.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I guess I was looking at mocks or listening to people saying that 7 was too high for Trae so I guess as soon as young was going to go off the board, I thought we had gotten someone slated higher.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I guess I was looking at mocks or listening to people saying that 7 was too high for Trae so I guess as soon as young was going to go off the board, I thought we had gotten someone slated higher.

Most mocks I saw had Porter going before the Bulls and Young going after, so in essence, they just switched. So the only person who really fell to them was MPJ. And if the Bulls’ doctors looked over him and said no, which is probably what happened, I can’t really fault the Carter pick.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
The real question left now is if Michael Porter is the new Perry Jones or a true turnaround.

czman

Liked Posts:
For people who do not like the pick, who did you want at 7 instead? I know it is easy to just I don't like it. Then whoever pans out you can just sit back in hindsight and say they should have taken player X. I don't follow college hoops so I just have to wait and see if these kids can play. I know the likelihood you get a really good player outside the top couple of picks is very small.

Jimmy Butler and Kawhi Leonard wre both safe picks with limited upside. Most people had Butler as a fringe roll player. So much of a player is on their on desire to get better and things that are very hard to measure like depth perception and the ability to be strong and have touch at the same time.

If they have the physical attributes to play in the NBA the rest is very hard to judge. And let's be real for a second. If the Warriors stay together every other team is just playing for an opportunity to lose somewhere in the playoffs.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Czman I myself would have rolled the dice on mpj and you have the main reason why. As long as there are the West super teams plus on east Celtics and sixers might as well roll that dice. If his injury concerns prove to be nothing he would have been a steal. And if he ends up being a Kevin White not like we are anywhere near the top rated teams even with the guys we drafted

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
For people who do not like the pick, who did you want at 7 instead? I know it is easy to just I don't like it. Then whoever pans out you can just sit back in hindsight and say they should have taken player X. I don't follow college hoops so I just have to wait and see if these kids can play. I know the likelihood you get a really good player outside the top couple of picks is very small.

Jimmy Butler and Kawhi Leonard wre both safe picks with limited upside. Most people had Butler as a fringe roll player. So much of a player is on their on desire to get better and things that are very hard to measure like depth perception and the ability to be strong and have touch at the same time.

If they have the physical attributes to play in the NBA the rest is very hard to judge. And let's be real for a second. If the Warriors stay together every other team is just playing for an opportunity to lose somewhere in the playoffs.

I don’t think that’s the right question to ask, rather it should “what else should they have done with the #7 pick”?

Answer: take on a bad contract or two to move up in the draft, or use it as trade consideration in a larger exchange.

No one forced GarPax stay put.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don’t think that’s the right question to ask, rather it should “what else should they have done with the #7 pick”?

Answer: take on a bad contract or two to move up in the draft, or use it as trade consideration in a larger exchange.

Would the reward have been worth the cost of the move though.

RacerX

Liked Posts:
Would the reward have been worth the cost of the move though.

When a team sucks, as do the Bulls, then as a fan I would like for the FO to increase the risk-profile of assembling personnel.

We do not have the luxury of a GS to remain in maintenance mode.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
When a team sucks, as do the Bulls, then as a fan I would like for the FO to increase the risk-profile of assembling personnel.

We do not have the luxury of a GS to remain in maintenance mode.

It’s more then just we suck. It’s where are we compared to Celtics/sixers/warriors etc..... we aren’t anywhere near them so making bold moves whether they work or not is what is going to elevate the team. Standing pat going for the safe pick might help build another 8th seed team. What joy to watch that crap lol lol

The Bringer

Beast Pro Legend
Liked Posts:
There are some misinformed people in this thread with complete negative attitudes about the Bulls, it almost sickens me to read their posts.

Anyone who knows and watches this team closely can clearly see that we are better then advertised and closer to being ONE OF the elite teams in the NBA.

Thing is you cannot do that playing with make shift lineups and sitting out your starters every other game.

The talent is there and young, they added more in the draft and if they get one superstar player to come here or one of their own turns into one.......many of you fair-weather downers will be eating crow.

I will be here watching it all unfold, the question is will you be when we get the nationwide shine back?

Probably not!

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

To me it looks like we replaced Taj Gibson with the number 7 pick, who was a 26th pick. I for one would have appreciated a swing for the fences pick of MPJ, even if he is a bust. At least they would have tried. As far as the medicals, would any top high school prospect even show up for those 3 games where he was not getting paid to risk injury?

I feel I have a right to complain, being a season ticket holder who cannot sell any tickets for face value anymore. What happens when someone offers Lavine 80 or 90 million?

Huchinson was a decent pick, I think he outperforms Carter during his bull career, mainly because he might see the court faster. Lopez, Portis, Felicio, yeah, the #7 will probably be the only lottery pick needing to earn minutes.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Carter likely gives the Bulls their next Noah. A guy that will play excellent post-defense, rebound the hell out of the ball, and make all the hustle plays. I can't imagine a scenario where the offense runs through Carter unless he makes astronomical strides as a player. The one advantage Carter has right out of the gate is that his offensive game is far more polished compared to where Noah was coming out of college. If Carter can be a Noah with a better offensive game without all the feet problems, that's a good pick for the Bulls considering how the draft unfolded in front of them.

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
There are some misinformed people in this thread with complete negative attitudes about the Bulls, it almost sickens me to read their posts.

Anyone who knows and watches this team closely can clearly see that we are better then advertised and closer to being ONE OF the elite teams in the NBA.

Thing is you cannot do that playing with make shift lineups and sitting out your starters every other game.

The talent is there and young, they added more in the draft and if they get one superstar player to come here or one of their own turns into one.......many of you fair-weather downers will be eating crow.

I will be here watching it all unfold, the question is will you be when we get the nationwide shine back?

Probably not!

Good try Gar, but you're fooling no one here.

czman

Liked Posts:

What trade? Move up to the 3rd pick? We know Dallas gave up the 5th and next seasons 1st top 5 protected. To beat that they probably have to give up both of this years picks plus next season. Does that make sense to you?

The Grizzlies did not dump a contract. Are you going to be made that a rumor did not happen? It is not like someone else made the deal so we could look and see the Bulls would have been better making that happen. The premise of increasing risk to improve your changes of a better player is just a failure to understand the NBA and how trades actually work. The Bulls need help. I don't know if they got it. We will know soon.

RacerX

Liked Posts:
What trade? Move up to the 3rd pick? We know Dallas gave up the 5th and next seasons 1st top 5 protected. To beat that they probably have to give up both of this years picks plus next season. Does that make sense to you?

The Grizzlies did not dump a contract. Are you going to be made that a rumor did not happen? It is not like someone else made the deal so we could look and see the Bulls would have been better making that happen. The premise of increasing risk to improve your changes of a better player is just a failure to understand the NBA and how trades actually work. The Bulls need help. I don't know if they got it. We will know soon.

Yeah, ok, I know can see that I don’t understand the NBA, thanks.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
When Bagley was hurt, Carter's statline over 4 games went to 16 PPG and 10 RPG. That's a good sign.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It is what it is at this point, I don't really see that much value in taking MPJ over Carter given what was available. If MPJ ends up being a beast then oh well, any complaint is all hindsight at that point.

Just hoping either pick can at least pan out to their floor at this point. The team still needs a lot of work to get back into the playoff picture. Carter should easily overtake Felicio and should be fighting Portis for that first big off the bench spot off the bat if he's anything close to advertised. Pax said they hope he's their starting center going forward so here's hoping.

Hutchison should find a rotation spot easily given we have crap at SF. Hopefully he pushes Valentine to actually become somewhat consistent.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
So what did you expect the Bulls to do other than draft WCJ and Hutchinson? Well shit, did you see how this draft really had no secrets. The only surprise at the wire in the first 7 picks was the Mavs and Hawks trade, but not so much on the players. And the same can be said about Memphis shopping, but again, the players were the same. The Bulls weren't alone as far as *worst kept secrets*. So that means this wouldn't be a hindsight argument, only making the case is easier in hindsight, since the foresight was clear as day, everyone in the league pretty much knew what was going down ahead of time.

I personally don't buy into hyped drafts anymore. A lot of people do, and that's fine, nature of the beast I guess. But if a person were consistent, would the rational match the lines of:

Bulls lose the franchise target at #7. I would think the contingency plan would be along the lines of trading down, NOT UP. Try to land 3 mid first rounders instead. Anyone you grab will be a development project anyways, and you want to pick Hutchinson no matter what, so you could have even walked away with two picks mid round and two late 1sts(or an early 2nd and a later first). I know that is ideal and stretching it, but at market rates, a totally possible scenario, especially with a number of teams with stocked picks that DID make similar trades.

IMO, that is the consistent rational for someone who really buys into the draft hype and feels this is a special draft. You would want more picks, broaden the amount of chances you have to land those draft steals, those Jimmy Butlers/Manus/Steven Jacksons/Capella?/Gobert/Draymond/DeAndre Jordans/Marc Gasol/MillsapMAYBE JORDAN BELL LMAO. Right, this is a deep and rare draft, so those odds go up a lot? AMIRIGHT?

Then the Bulls could have had 4 picks, FURTHER their cap situation in ways that would make Jerry happy, draft hype-*ers happy, and give the team the flexibility to do things that they haven't had since 2009-10. You buy the shooting coach, use your G-League team, aim for the lottery again, trade anyone high that you have the inside knowledge that wont pan out *within* this franchise, and you then play your safe game that way, not on draft night, not when everyone believed this is some kind of special draft class.

..If you wanted to put your play it safe cap on instead, I guess the Bulls did the right things.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
It is what it is at this point, I don't really see that much value in taking MPJ over Carter given what was available. If MPJ ends up being a beast then oh well, any complaint is all hindsight at that point.

Just hoping either pick can at least pan out to their floor at this point. The team still needs a lot of work to get back into the playoff picture. Carter should easily overtake Felicio and should be fighting Portis for that first big off the bench spot off the bat if he's anything close to advertised. Pax said they hope he's their starting center going forward so here's hoping.

Hutchison should find a rotation spot easily given we have crap at SF. Hopefully he pushes Valentine to actually become somewhat consistent.

I just say Hutchinson will pan out and probably be worth the 7 pick. Carter was a safe pick. It was a pick by a team not looking for a superstar, but looking for solid. If Lavine does sign elsewhere, we will be looking for a superstar.

I dont think there is any doubt Lopez will start out of camp, they will try to move him at the deadline and let Carter take over from there. They cant put Lopez on the bench and expect anyone to give us anything for his services in the playoffs. The thing that stuck out most from Paxson was saying its a good thing to make a rookie earn his minutes.

Either way, back to business, why is Asik still here? Lets look at giving him away or buying him out so it seems like the team is doing something positive.