Roquan Smith Makes too much sense

PeteFootball

Liked Posts:
I’m pretty sure this is the pick if the bears sit at 8

1) bears have been built on MLB throughout history. Edmonds looks great but is too big of a risk at 8. You need an elite player

2) his coverage skills and run skills are off the charts. He reminds me of urlacher. Seriously

3) would be a top 5 pick in this draft if 4 QBs weren’t going to go before us

Toast88

Liked Posts:
The more I think about it, the more I think this’ll be the pick. Athletic. Smart. Bankable. He’s one of those players who has the potential to be an automatic pencil in for the Pro Bowl every year, although I suppose no pick is truly safe.

Alterego

Master Debater
Donator
Liked Posts:
Smith in the first, Carter in the second.....setting up an all UGA LB group

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
I would have no issues with Smith at all. Guys a stud and inside linebacker is kind of an under the radar need. Trevathan has missed 11 games in two years, and 25 in then last 4. Kwiatkowski has missed time as well and doesn't really look like anything special.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
- Great athlete
- Great in coverage
- Great making plays going east-west/sideline-sideline
- Great in open space

But if an O-lineman can get to him, he is toast in the running game. There is lots of tape to show that and that's at the college level. He is going to get run at a lot early in his career until he proves he can shed blocks.

I don't think he is a great fit scheme-wise. He is best suited as a 4-3 WILL. That's not to say he can't be a good player in this system, I just don't think it fits him best and would be a waste.

Marcus Davenport (who I am not terribly high on) I think would be a better scheme fit and plays at a bigger position of need.

Tostada

Liked Posts:
Mierda...Derwin James can shed blockers better Ragdoll Smith.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
- Great athlete
- Great in coverage
- Great in open space

But if an O-lineman can get to him, he is toast in the running game. There is lots of tape to show that and that's at the college level. He is going to get run at a lot early in his career until he proves he can shed blocks.

I don't think he is a great fit scheme-wise. He is best suited as a 4-3 WILL. That's not to say he can't be a good player in this system, I just don't think it fits him best and would be a waste.

Marcus Davenport (who I am not terribly high on) I think would be a better scheme fit and plays at a bigger position of need.

That was the knock on Urlacher as well. If the QB's all go early as expected, there will be riches to be had at #8.....gotta hope they know which guy fits best.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
- Great athlete
- Great in coverage
- Great in open space

The narrative that Smith can't shed blocks is b.s. Yes, sometime he gets blocked. And *spoiler alert* sometimes when a 300 pound man gets his hands on a 235 pound man, he will be pushed back. I could show you examples of that for literally any linebacker at any level.

Now that's not to say he can't improve in that area, but all you have to do is watch the cut ups of his games to see him shedding blocks and making tackles. He's obviously at his best-like most linebackers-when he can run free. He's great in coverage. He's also an excellent blitzer.

People like to get caught up in the whole strengths and weaknesses game, but special players are special players. I think this draft has three of those: Quenten Nelson, Saquon Barkley and Roquon Smith.

edvedder10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hub says he's undersized and not a good fit

Gabriel says he's got great instincts, thinks of him as Briggs with more speed.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
He just gets mauled by big OL's. I don't think he really fits a Fangio LB. He's going to be a great 4-3 WLB, imo. This pick would surprise me.

Tostada

Liked Posts:
Watch Kollmans tape review...TE's and FB's are trucking Smith. He needed to do the bench press at the combine...bad sign.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
The narrative that Smith can't shed blocks is b.s. Yes, sometime he gets blocked. And *spoiler alert* sometimes when a 300 pound man gets his hands on a 235 pound man, he will be pushed back. I could show you examples of that for literally any linebacker at any level.

Now that's not to say he can't improve in that area, but all you have to do is watch the cut ups of his games to see him shedding blocks and making tackles. He's obviously at his best-like most linebackers-when he can run free. He's great in coverage. He's also an excellent blitzer.

People like to get caught up in the whole strengths and weaknesses game, but special players are special players. I think this draft has three of those: Quenten Nelson, Saquon Barkley and Roquon Smith.

The reason he might be a fit is the fact that Fangio's ILB's have a lot of coverage responsibilities and they do use a 4-3 under front a lot as their base defense.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I’m pretty sure this is the pick if the bears sit at 8

1) bears have been built on MLB throughout history. Edmonds looks great but is too big of a risk at 8. You need an elite player

2) his coverage skills and run skills are off the charts. He reminds me of urlacher. Seriously

3) would be a top 5 pick in this draft if 4 QBs weren’t going to go before us

1) I disagree on the first part. The first round is the best time to take a risk, as the pool of talent is the largest. The guys you get later wont have as high a ceiling. From what I have seen, Edmunds has a higher ceiling and thus, if he works out, is going to be more elite.

2) So is Edmunds' cover skills. And he is the one getting comparisons to Urlacher.

3) Who knows on that one.

I am a fan of Edmunds, obviously. We have one of the best coaches and a system that he would theoretically thrive in. We have great players to put around him. He can start here and be brought along slowly so there isnt too much on his plate at once.

Fatman LOU

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You can make an argument to take Roquan Smith at #8. Urlacher, Briggs, Ray Lewis, they were all bad at taking on blocks. Smith has real good speed and quickness , and real good instincts. His speed helps him get around those trying to block him . He needs the beef up front to do their job so he can do his.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
- Great athlete
- Great in coverage
- Great in open space

If he doesn't fit Fangio's scheme then Fangio isn't gonna tell Pace he can so we won't draft him.

Just draft a damn egde rusher and be done with it, if not then go with one of D.James/M.Fitzpatrick.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He reminds me a little of Ray Lewis. Undersized linebacker that was slightly overlooked. Great speed and instincts. Does he have his heart? I’d be curious to know. His demeanor would be very important if it was my decision.

I see him getting trucked by OLinemen in every game. He needs to work on this at the next level or he’s going to be just another mediocre tackling machine.

I think there will be better value at 8.

If we trade down, yes please.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
He's nearly identical size to Danny Travathan. Silly to say he won't fit in the scheme. Danny fits perfectly in our D

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk