IST: Brewers at Cubs

Globetrotter

Liked Posts:
How is Sogard going to bitch about balls/strikes after the 7th?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Need a big game from Quintana tomorrow..
Cubs starters have 4 QS in a row now

Gotta keep that going

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
This staff is special. You have 4 stoppers on any giving day. Teams dream of that. It’s also why I believe we will have a ten plus game winning streak at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chibears55

Liked Posts:
This staff is special. You have 4 stoppers on any giving day. Teams dream of that. It’s also why I believe we will have a ten plus game winning streak at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hopefully their at the beginning of a good streak and run now..
7 of 10 and 2 in row

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
So I can't remember if I mentioned this before but there was something I was thinking about awhile back that came back to my attention. I was thinking about how the cubs might match up guys in the playoffs. Right now their L/R splits are interesting. vs RHP, Baez(244 wRC+), Schwarber(218), Zobrist(159), Bryant(152), Heyward(123) and Contreras(110) are all well above league average hitters. Assuming you add Rizzo into that you've got a group of 7 plus the pitcher ready made. Caratini(99), Happ and Almora(both 83), La Stella(80) and Russell(48) round out the club. Against LHP, you have Bryant(238), Almora(236), Contreras(164), Happ(150), Zobrist(124), and Russell(100). I think you can also assume Baez given his past vs LHP likely slots in here and again Rizzo likely will too. So, that's 8 + the pitcher.

What that allows you to do is get really into splits and since these guys all play like 3 positions you can be really flexible. I mean it probably wouldn't hurt for them to find another good LH bat to help vs RHP off the bench but where they are currently isn't bad. Typically you sort of think of platoon's as bad things for guys who aren't good enough to start full time but if you have enough depth you can really do some interesting things. You're effectively allowing the team to roll out a player at every position who's better than league average which is kind of absurd when you think about it.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
So I can't remember if I mentioned this before but there was something I was thinking about awhile back that came back to my attention. I was thinking about how the cubs might match up guys in the playoffs. Right now their L/R splits are interesting. vs RHP, Baez(244 wRC+), Schwarber(218), Zobrist(159), Bryant(152), Heyward(123) and Contreras(110) are all well above league average hitters. Assuming you add Rizzo into that you've got a group of 7 plus the pitcher ready made. Caratini(99), Happ and Almora(both 83), La Stella(80) and Russell(48) round out the club. Against LHP, you have Bryant(238), Almora(236), Contreras(164), Happ(150), Zobrist(124), and Russell(100). I think you can also assume Baez given his past vs LHP likely slots in here and again Rizzo likely will too. So, that's 8 + the pitcher.

What that allows you to do is get really into splits and since these guys all play like 3 positions you can be really flexible. I mean it probably wouldn't hurt for them to find another good LH bat to help vs RHP off the bench but where they are currently isn't bad. Typically you sort of think of platoon's as bad things for guys who aren't good enough to start full time but if you have enough depth you can really do some interesting things. You're effectively allowing the team to roll out a player at every position who's better than league average which is kind of absurd when you think about it.
I really believe their going to make a major trade with a position player..
I know everyone loves Russell but I think their going to make a push for Machado using Russell and Pitching as offer pieces..
Then spend the rest of year trying to get an extension with him

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Over the course of a season, the difference between an un-optimized lineup and an optimized one is about 10 runs (or .06 runs per game), so bitching about individual lineups is pretty silly.
Could you point me to a good article about this?

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I really believe their going to make a major trade with a position player..
I know everyone loves Russell but I think their going to make a push for Machado using Russell and Pitching as offer pieces..
Then spend the rest of year trying to get an extension with him

God I hope not. I’m all for signing Machado next year but I want no part of a rental. Plus Baltimore would be stupid not to get prospects for him. I would guess an organizational too 5 plus a couple lower level guys with upside. Plus why would a team desperately needing to tank want with Russell?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
God I hope not. I’m all for signing Machado next year but I want no part of a rental. Plus Baltimore would be stupid not to get prospects for him. I would guess an organizational too 5 plus a couple lower level guys with upside. Plus why would a team desperately needing to tank want with Russell?

Pipedream dreams.

chibears55

Liked Posts:

I get the rental part, but IF the cubs choose to do this. My guess is it because it would give them til end of season to negotiate with him , he would already be a part of the team and get to know the players manager and coaches and they can have an influence on him to want to stay..
They win games and go deep in playoffs, unless there a specific team or location he prefers, he already on a winning organization that young and set to compete for WS for a few more years.
So, the only and main thing they need to agree on is the contract and as i said they would have til end of year to solely discuss that with his agent and work it out..

Now if it doesnt happen, they have a pretty good fall back option to play SS in Baez..

Why would the Orioles want Russell..
He 24 and under team control for 4 more years to take over SS..
Cubs could offer up Montgomery who could start now for them and they have a bunch of lower end pitching prospects they can choose from .

That is what the cubs could offer if they are really interested in trading for Machado ..
Of course Orioles will shop him for the best offer..

Have to think unless teams have a back up plan like the cubs in case they cant resign him and he walks , their offers wont be as generous as the cubs could offer..

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Honestly with Almora, Baez and Schwarber carrying the team for Bryzzo that trade makes 0 sense.

Theo is out of the rental business. He made a exception to end a WS drought. After that every trade had control attached to it.

So posting a backwards deal like this is interjecting your personal crap vs anything with substance.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Pipedream dreams.
Most big trade for or signing of a top player are dreams for fans..
Don't act like you haven't thought about having Manny Machado at SS this year and beyond..

I trust Epstein and Hoyer if their really interested in adding him this season,to make an offer that wont set back the organization in case he decides not to sign with them.

At least for this season, they got a great player who will be a strong addition to the lineup for a run at another WS title..

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Honestly with Almora, Baez and Schwarber carrying the team for Bryzzo that trade makes 0 sense.

Theo is out of the rental business. He made a exception to end a WS drought. After that every trade had control attached to it.

So posting a backwards deal like this is interjecting your personal crap vs anything with substance.

Their playing .500 ball with an inconsistent offense, i wouldnt go as far as saying their carrying the team..
Team has been better the last 10 games but so has the pitching..

You cant guarentee what their going to get consistently from Almora Baez Russell Contreras Happ Zobrist all year to say they dont need an upgrade in the lineup to pair with Rizzo and Bryant.

Have you talked to Epstein about his interest in adding rental players this year and in the future?
He told you he wasnt doing it anymore because he was satisfied winning the 1 WS

My personal crap LMAO..
Says the guy or girl who spurts out off the wall stuff everyday..lol

You do know this has been brought up again from media the other day..
https://www.cubsinsider.com/20...-russell-again-named-as-piece/
Only reason why i brought it up now, plus i was just responding to Beck post about split hitting and he mentioned they might look to add a bat..

So unlike you do alot, i didnt just interject my personal crap that had no substance...
Thank you, Go Cubs

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Their playing .500 ball with an inconsistent offense, i wouldnt go as far as saying their carrying the team..
Team has been better the last 10 games but so has the pitching..

You cant guarentee what their going to get consistently from Almora Baez Russell Contreras Happ Zobrist all year to say they dont need an upgrade in the lineup to pair with Rizzo and Bryant.

Have you talked to Epstein about his interest in adding rental players this year and in the future?
He told you he wasnt doing it anymore because he was satisfied winning the 1 WS

My personal crap LMAO..
Says the guy or girl who spurts out off the wall stuff everyday..lol

You do know this has been brought up again from media the other day..
https://www.cubsinsider.com/20...-russell-again-named-as-piece/
Only reason why i brought it up now, plus i was just responding to Beck post about split hitting and he mentioned they might look to add a bat..

So unlike you do alot, i didnt just interject my personal crap that had no substance...
Thank you, Go Cubs

Q: control
Wilson: control

Last off: we may have to trade for pitching. What did they do? Bought via F/A vs lose talent.

Again you are posting stuff that is against the constant thought process of Theo’s team. If anything you are just posting your interjected wants and trying to sell it of as fact.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

I don't agree that Theo is out of the rental biz. Whether or not you agree with the idea of trading for Machado is kind of beside the point. Theo is always going to make the moves he thinks will help them win. Simply put, i think he'd easily trade 3 years of Russell if it meant they won the world series this year. I mean look at the Chapman deal. That was clearly a pure rental and a ridiculously costly one but he felt he had the hand to win and this was the missing piece. Just because they won 1 WS doesn't change that equation. You don't suddenly become a conservative person because you've got over the hump once.

As for that particular trade, I still don't think Russell for Machado makes sense. Like I get it from a functional standpoint. You're trading one SS for another who's more useful today. But from a value standpoint for the cubs it's fairly terrible and supposedly the O's want pitching anyways. I personally believe Monty is enough of a big piece if you surround him with 1-2 guys for a 3 month rental of Machado. And I've read some rumblings that he's still not happy about being in the bullpen.

But if that's not the case and if they are comfortable dealing Russell, a far more realistic scenario to me would be some form of 3 team trade or an effective 3 team trade where you move Russell to a team with the thought of using the players you get for Machado.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Anyways I do muse some here but I rarely try to make it a serious post. More of a banter post to drum up talk. I disagree with Beck on some issues like Almora but Almora has gone out with a chip on his shoulder right now.

I have no issue with players that step up. On paper Almora make no sense leading of every day. Well he just wrecked that and is dong it. I can’t complain about production

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Q: control
Wilson: control

Last off: we may have to trade for pitching. What did they do? Bought via F/A vs lose talent.

Again you are posting stuff that is against the constant thought process of Theo’s team. If anything you are just posting your interjected wants and trying to sell it of as fact.

Stop ok.. constant thought process of Theo team???? ???????
your basing it off of 1 deadline a year after he traded for a rental..
1 time doesnt make a pattern..

If there a guy available that an upgrade and could help the team win this year and he happens to be a rental, i doubt Epstein and Hoyer are going to shrug their shoulders and pass on it without making an offer just because they may not be able to resign him.

As far as the pitching goes, he had said from day 1 that the starting pitching would most likely come from FA signings..

Outside of Archer, there wasnt really any solid pitching available via trade in offseason and Archer still hasnt been traded.

Of course i want Machado and it is a fact that i want him, im not denying that..lol

As far as cubs wanting him, i said IF their interested and gave MY opinion as to why they MIGHT do it in response to TC saying why they and Orioles wouldnt..

And again, i posted that article a couple days ago for all to see and gave no thoughts on it myself..
So i didnt interject my thoughts there ..

I didnt mention it til after Beck post about adding a bat and then gave my opinion there on who i think they COULD add..

And finally , my other thoughts on that subject came in responses to those who responded to me on that subject..

So again im not interjecting my wants and selling it as facts..
Thank you Go Cubs