IST: Brewers at Cubs

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Here’s what you’re missing with Maddon’s lineups, he goes to more of a steady 8 late in the season gearing up for the playoffs. Before that he mixes things up so everyone gets AB and defensive time. He’s always going to do that. What you’re seeing from Almora and Baez is Joe letting them learn those spots and they’re acing their tests. Once they look like they have it nailed he’ll put other guys there so that they have options. I’ve followed Maddon for a decade, I just like how he manages. You’re unlikely to see a solidified starting 8 until August

Not an American league guy, so I didn't follow him much before he got here but that's exactly what he does here. The only thing that alters that plan would be a rash of injuries or injuries to significant players. I'm an old time guy where for years every team paraded out the same guys till they could barely walk...maybe not the same order but the same 8. Back then there was very little confidence in bench players...it's a different game today. I don't follow every team but I'd venture a bet that more teams do what Maddon does than teams that don't. I like it...keeps everyone involved and feeling part of the team...but more importantly, it's successful.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Here’s what you’re missing with Maddon’s lineups, he goes to more of a steady 8 late in the season gearing up for the playoffs. Before that he mixes things up so everyone gets AB and defensive time. He’s always going to do that. What you’re seeing from Almora and Baez is Joe letting them learn those spots and they’re acing their tests. Once they look like they have it nailed he’ll put other guys there so that they have options. I’ve followed Maddon for a decade, I just like how he manages. You’re unlikely to see a solidified starting 8 until August
I get that what he did with Zobrist and the Rays, and it was easier to do there in AL with DH and extra position players

Im looking at what he has this year..

Outside of injuries

Caratini not going to get anymore starts then giving Contreras a day off and maybe Rizzo..

LaStella not going to get starts ahead of Baez or Bryant other then occasional rest days..

Zobrist gonna be 37 next month, he not the Zobrist of the Rays where he can plug him into a different position everyday.. he much better now playing a game or two and then sitting a few days.
Plus who is he gonna sit so Zobrist can start multiple games in a row?
Schwarber? Heyward? Baez? Russell? Rizzo?
No.. those guys are going to play everyday except for rest and occasional matchups

Happ is the only guy on bench that he might consider starting in multiple games in a row and that only if he decides to go back to sitting Almora again, which would be a mistake unless Almora goes into the tank..

This is why i think we finally just might see Maddon stick with these 8 most everyday now except for the occasional rest and matchups..

Like i said, outside of sitting Almora again, who would he sit for more then 1 game in a row

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Chatwood showing Heyward how to get it done..lol

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Batter never acted at all like it hit him. That's no HBP.

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
Ouch! Man, on a chilly day like this, the ball whacking off the knob of the bat ought to make that bottom hand feel really full of bees...

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I'd love to see a 1-0 final, but I won't love it until it is over. I want more runs.

But I do want this shutout!

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Rizzo, running with the pitch, barely makes it to 3rd. Did he stop to read a book? :)

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Great job by Chatwood..

6 QS in a row by cubs starters..
Should start to get fun now with these guys cause their all gonna dig a little deeper to keep it going and not be the one to have a bad start..

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
Hey, Hey, Hey! It's Ma-a-a-a-tt Albers!

edit -- the new beard does help hide his double chin, though...

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Almora and Baez hit streak in danger..

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
C'mon Edwards and Morrow! Let's get the sweep.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
Few things in baseball annoy me more than a lead off walk given up by the bullpen.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Let keep playing the Brewers...

7 - 1 vs Brewers

8 - 9 vs Rest

2nd place by themselves
1/2 game behind the Pirates

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
Great series. The pitching was ridiculous.