Interesting film study on Roquan

Hotwheelz24

They See Me Rollin'
Liked Posts:
I have complete faith in Smith as being a top tier talent for us. If floyd, Goldman, and Hicks can stay healthy this should be one hell of a scary front 7.

Sammich

Liked Posts:
Lets hope we finally secured a long term solution at LB and not have another bust like in 2013 with Jon Bostic and Khaseem Greene.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I found this to be a very good evaluation.

Huxster

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Very good, so more beef on the line, I'm sure he'll like Hicks and Goldman, get Hankins and keep him clean.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Linebackers getting blown up by guys 80lbs heavier on occasion isn't really shocking news. When the other guys on defense don't make up for the lb washing out a linemen, that's when the play gets in trouble.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Ask any UGA fan. Tucker's game plan in the first half against Oklahoma was a disaster. He tried to run a bend-dont break scheme that didn't attack the OU offense but rather sat back. He didn't try to shut down the run or the pass, rather just let OU dictate the LOS
Everything in the second half when they held UGA to 10 offensive points and OU had very little success running the ball.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
That sure didn't help sway me into the "OMG yes!" group.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Also just saw the end of this scouting report. Laughable that he didn't include the Bears with Hicks & Goldman as fits. I'd rather have Bears defensive line then Packers.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Ask any UGA fan. Tucker's game plan in the first half against Oklahoma was a disaster. He tried to run a bend-dont break scheme that didn't attack the OU offense but rather sat back. He didn't try to shut down the run or the pass, rather just let OU dictate the LOS
Everything in the second half when they held UGA to 10 offensive points and OU had very little success running the ball.

Doesn't Fangio lean towards bend don't break?

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Doesn't Fangio lean towards bend don't break?

At times, he does but in true Tucker fashion, he watched his defense get raped on 5 different offensive OU positions in the first half and made zero changes. Rumor has it in Athens that Smart took over defensive playcalling in the 2nd half. Fangio is not the idiot that Tucker is

Reactions: Myk

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Was it surprising that Urlacher had his best season with Washington and Traylor as fatties up front? Not really. Urlacher was not that good either when engaged head on.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Linebackers look better when they have good players in front of them......just like RBs, CBs, Safeties, etc....

The thing with Smith is that, while not a ridiculous physical specimen, he is smart, takes good angles, and plays quick because he knows where to be. And as far as the physicality goes, he isn't exactly a pussy. I've seen him called "weak" here and that just isn't true.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
Was it surprising that Urlacher had his best season with Washington and Traylor as fatties up front? Not really. Urlacher was not that good either when engaged head on.

There was a lot of he'll raising on the old cbmb about guards washing Urlacher out or him getting trucked by Jerome Bettis which were all true...but the mofo is in the hall because he still made a shitload of plays....Edmunds is a big boy and he will get trucked too at some point just like roquan will

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Also just saw the end of this scouting report. Laughable that he didn't include the Bears with Hicks & Goldman as fits. I'd rather have Bears defensive line then Packers.

Think that is more due to role than talent. Both Hicks and Goldman play more penetrating one gap than controlling blockers 2 gap so that is not exactly the ideal fit for Smith. If you switch them to playing more 2 gap then you reduce their effectiveness as pass rushers as well as they ability to shoot gaps in the run game.

Don't know about all the other teams but I suspect they have their DL and NT in particular playing more 2 gap which is then a better system to keep blockers off of Smith.

Although that is an easy fix IMO. Move Goldman to DE where he can still one gap and get a Jonathan Hankins who you can have be the 2 gap NT that aims to keep blockers off of Smith.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
There was a lot of he'll raising on the old cbmb about guards washing Urlacher out or him getting trucked by Jerome Bettis which were all true...but the mofo is in the hall because he still made a shitload of plays....Edmunds is a big boy and he will get trucked too at some point just like roquan will

Game has changed enough that you want more speed in your LB core than strength. Offenses now emphasis the passing game over running. Smith will be able to cover TEs and RBs out of the backfield and is as a sure-tackler as they come.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Think that is more due to role than talent. Both Hicks and Goldman play more penetrating one gap than controlling blockers 2 gap so that is not exactly the ideal fit for Smith. If you switch them to playing more 2 gap then you reduce their effectiveness as pass rushers as well as they ability to shoot gaps in the run game.

Don't know about all the other teams but I suspect they have their DL and NT in particular playing more 2 gap which is then a better system to keep blockers off of Smith.

Although that is an easy fix IMO. Move Goldman to DE where he can still one gap and get a Jonathan Hankins who you can have be the 2 gap NT that aims to keep blockers off of Smith.

Doesn't GB have a new DC? Is his scheme changing?

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
It more or less confirms what everyone was saying that Smith needed and was going to be a WILL linebacker. He’s not a do-it-all LB.

Liked Posts:
Linebackers look better when they have good players in front of them......just like RBs, CBs, Safeties, etc....

The thing with Smith is that, while not a ridiculous physical specimen, he is smart, takes good angles, and plays quick because he knows where to be. And as far as the physicality goes, he isn't exactly a pussy. I've seen him called "weak" here and that just isn't true.

Thats just it too. Not only do I believe that this kid is going to be a quality LB on the stat board. I believe that once again the Bears finally have that eventual defensive leader in the making who can bark out the audibles & field general the players around him into the best position possible for them to succeed every down. Trevethan is very good, & Freeman was solid but we havent had that kind of QB of the defense ILB that people tout about since Urlacher was shunned out the door by numbnuts(Emery)... I do believe Smith can achieve that status.

I think Smith is going to be outstanding in multiple facets.

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
Cool video but you can make one for every player in the draft that shows flaws in their game. Im siked for Smith and have no doubt he`ll make an impact on defense for the next decade for the bears.