"All In" | Milwaukee Brewers Baseball

CHAD0034

Cubs/Blackhawks
Liked Posts:
brewersbanner-1.png

"All In" | Milwaukee Brewers Baseball

Milwaukee, WI- The Brewers are all in for the upcoming 2011 season. The Brewers look as if they could finish among the top teams, after trading for two pitchers with bright futures: Zack Greinke and Shawn Marcum. These two, by themselves will push the Brewers to possibly the favorites in the NL Central.

The Brewers already powerful offense will be mostly the same in 2011. The Brewers also acquired Yuniesky Betancourt, who will start at shortstop for the Crew next season. The 28 year old hit 16 homeruns last season, and will look to help the Brewers. Prince Fielder and Ryan Braun will have more to play for than ever, which could affect their numbers in 2011. Both young sluggers will be more motivated in Milwaukee than ever before, as this could be the last season we see Prince Fielder in a Brewers uniform.

The Brewers bullpen will be questionable next season, as John Axford looks to be the Brew Crews closer, with Trevor Hoffman parting ways with Milwaukee after accomplishing his 600th save last season. The team ERA will most likely see a huge decrease, as the Brewers were the third worst pitching teams last season.

Projected 2011 Lineup:
1. 2B | Rickie Weeks (.269 avg, 28 HR, 83 RBI in 2010)
2. SS | Yuniesky Betancourt (.259 avg, 16 HR, 78 RBI in 2010)
3. LF | Ryan Braun (.304 avg, 25 HR, 103 RBI in 2010)
4. 1B | Prince Fielder (.261 avg, 32 HR, 83 RBI in 2010)
5. 3B | Casey McGehee (.285 avg, 25 HR, 104 RBI in 2010)
6. RF | Corey Hart (.283 avg, 31 HR, 103 RBI in 2010)
7. C | Jonathan Lucroy (.253 avg, 4 HR, 26 RBI in 2010)
8. CF | Carlos Gomez (.247 avg, 5 HR, 24 RBI in 2010)

Projected 2011 Pitching Rotation:
1. Zack Greinke (10-14, 4.17 ERA in 2010)
2. Yovani Gallardo (14-7, 3.84 ERA in 2010)
3. Shawn Marcum (13-8, 3.39 ERA in 2010)
4. Randy Wolf (13-12, 4.12 ERA in 2010)
5. Chris Narveson/Manny Parra

CHAD0034

Cubs/Blackhawks
Liked Posts:
gonna be MLB 11, I'm just gonna do off season updates til' it comes out

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Good deal, Greinke gonna ball out son

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
Following
If you really keep Betancourt on the roster in MLB 11... :facepalm:

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
ill follow

CHAD0034

Cubs/Blackhawks
Liked Posts:
allinbanner.png

Big Moves Have Brewers Thinking Division Title

Brewers-Getting_Greinke__WIJP107_12-21-2010_M41J32QC.standalone.prod_affiliate.81.jpg

Zack Greinke likes the attitude in Milwaukee

Milwaukee, WI- The past two days have brought a flurry of beware-the-Brewers fanfare. With the addition of former Cy Young Award winner Zack Greinke, Milwaukee has suddenly become a trendy pick to contend in, if not actually win, the often chaotic National League Central.

To which the only really appropriate response is: Welcome to the bandwagon.

Because the Brewers were actually a team to take seriously in the Central even before they added Greinke. With the ex-Royals ace on board, they're more than that. They may very well be the favorites in a division in which no other contender has seriously improved itself this winter

The Brewers featured a potent offense in 2010, one that scored the fourth-most runs in the NL. Their bullpen, a mess early in the year, sorted itself out nicely by season's end and looks like an asset going into 2011. Yovani Gallardo is a front-of-the-rotation starter, and recent acquisition Shaun Marcum will likely look like one, too, now that he's been traded from the American League East to the NL Central.

So if it had merely added another innings-eater, a useful but not spectacular talent like Carl Pavano, Milwaukee would be worth watching. With Greinke on board, look out.

It started with Marcum. And when the backlash builds -- people advising about putting too much stock into one move -- remember that. It's two moves, two big ones. Marcum is 29 and coming off an outstanding year in baseball's toughest division, the AL East. He struck out 165 in 195 1/3 innings and posted a 3.64 ERA while starting nearly a third of his games against the Yankees, Rays and Red Sox.

Then they added Greinke, a Cy Young Award winner just one year ago. Greinke endured a relatively rough 2010 but still pitched at a very high level, and he admitted to some motivation issues while pitching for a struggling Kansas City team. The Brewers believe that by putting he right-hander in a pennant race, they'll energize him and will see a pitcher more like the '09 Greinke than the '10 edition.

If that's the case, this suddenly becomes one of the three or four best rotations in the NL. Add that to what should again be a top-four offense, and you have a contender. Especially in the Central.

Part of what's going on here, of course, is context. To win their division, the Brewers don't have to beat the heavily favored Phillies. They only need to close the gap to Cincinnati and St. Louis. With neither of those clubs looking a great deal stronger than it did in 2010, that's not hard to envision.

The Reds have essentially stood pat, though having Edinson Volquez for a full season could feel a lot like a significant addition. The Cardinals have done an extensive retooling, but the main gains seem to be in the clubhouse. The Redbirds' offense will likely be improved, but at the cost of some not-insignificant defensive downgrades.

The Brewers, meanwhile, replaced a mishmash of Dave Bush, Manny Parra, Chris Capuano, Doug Davis and a few other luminaries with two of the best starters in baseball. It's a drastic upgrade to just about the only facet of the Milwaukee roster that could have been considered a major question mark.

At first glance the bullpen might seem to fit that description as well. During the early part of 2010, relief woes plagued the Brewers. Things were sorted out in the second half, however, with John Axford and Zach Braddock emerging as key contributors. The Brewers could use another arm in the 'pen, but it's certainly not a weakness.

Besides, even without adding a reliever, the Brewers have likely made their bullpen better this month. By bringing in two starters likely to pitch 190 innings or more, Milwaukee eases the load on its relief corps. Part of what happened to the Brew Crew's bullpen in '10 was that it was stretched too thin. Having four starters pitch deep into games should lead to a much more reasonable workload for the bullpen, which should lead to improved effectiveness.

The Greinke trade did come at a cost to the 2011 team in one way. The defense, rarely a hallmark of recent Brewers teams anyway, was weakened by the loss of Alcides Escobar. Assuming Yuniesky Betancourt is the shortstop, this is not likely to be a very good defensive infield.

There's good news even there, though, because the Milwaukee pitching staff should rack up the strikeouts. Gallardo, Greinke and Marcum all ranked in the top 40 in the Majors last year in strikeouts per nine innings. And again, Marcum and Greinke will both be leaving the DH league for a league in which lineups are a little friendlier for pitchers. Even projected No. 5 starter Chris Narveson struck out more than seven batters per nine innings last year.

Nothing is guaranteed, of course. Health is always a question, and the Brewers still do have to make up 14 games on the division-champion Reds. But they moved aggressively and decisively, and improved their team drastically. It's at least a three-team race in the NL Central.

Brewers.com

Last edited:

CHAD0034

Cubs/Blackhawks
Liked Posts:
edited

Last edited:

CHAD0034

Cubs/Blackhawks
Liked Posts:
Having Betancourt hit 2nd is the dumbest thing ever.
I don't believe so. In Kansas City, he had no good hitters ahead of him in the lineup. I believe batting him 2nd will get him easier pitches to hit, as pitchers will not want to walk him, as he is front of Braun/Fielder, making his AVG and OBP rise. This also makes the bottom of the linup dangerous.

The only other guy/s I could see hitting 2nd would be Hart/Gomez, and with Harts power emerging, I don't think they'd want him in the two hole.

I also appreciate your great reasoning behind your post. :clap:

CHAD0034

Cubs/Blackhawks
Liked Posts:
allinbanner.png

Zack Greinke Player Profile

greinkeprofile-1.png

*moved from last page

Last edited:

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't believe so. In Kansas City, he had no good hitters ahead of him in the lineup. I believe batting him 2nd will get him easier pitches to hit, as pitchers will not want to walk him, as he is front of Braun/Fielder, making his AVG and OBP rise. This also makes the bottom of the linup dangerous.

The only other guy/s I could see hitting 2nd would be Hart/Gomez, and with Harts power emerging, I don't think they'd want him in the two hole.

I also appreciate your great reasoning behind your post. :clap:

You need reasoning? How about a sub .700 OPS the last 3 years? How about wOBA that's hasn't been higher than .300 the last 3 years? How about a walk rate that has NEVER EVER been over 5%?

CHAD0034

Cubs/Blackhawks
Liked Posts:
You need reasoning? How about a sub .700 OPS the last 3 years? How about wOBA that's hasn't been higher than .300 the last 3 years? How about a walk rate that has NEVER EVER been over 5%?
I'm not saying he's a good player. We all know he isn't. I'm saying who would be the best for the two spot. Who do you think it should be than? Gomez?

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

CHAD0034

Cubs/Blackhawks
Liked Posts:
Corey Hart.

If we all know he is not a good player, why would you give him the 2nd most PAs? How does that make any sense?
Because him hitting early in the lineup and right before Braun/Fielder/McGehee/Hart = better pitches he will recieve because pitchers will not want to walk him. I understand he will get more ABs at the top, but I think it makes the team better having Corey Hart in the 5 or 6 spot.

I'm one of those guys who think teams with a spread out lineup succeed better than those with their top 4 guys right at the top.

Got teeth? Keith doesn't.

JoeHawks is a fine gent
Liked Posts:
Because him hitting early in the lineup and right before Braun/Fielder/McGehee/Hart = better pitches he will recieve because pitchers will not want to walk him. I understand he will get more ABs at the top, but I think it makes the team better having Corey Hart in the 5 or 6 spot.

I'm one of those guys who think teams with a spread out lineup succeed better than those with their top 4 guys right at the top.

You don't get it. He's a POS hitter. He has hit .262/.288/.384 over the last three seasons. His peak season is a paltry .310 wOBA season. If he was a good hitter, or even average, I could see that argument being made. But he's just a bad hitter. At best, his line could jump to about .270/.305/.400 or so. To go along with his, what I've heard it quoted as, bad baseball instincts, he's just not a number two hitter. And to use the reasoning, "hitting in front of those hitters=better pitches" can work on any hitter, so why not on a hitter that isn't god-awful at hitting?

EROCK23

Liked Posts:
You don't get it. He's a POS hitter. He has hit .262/.288/.384 over the last three seasons. His peak season is a paltry .310 wOBA season. If he was a good hitter, or even average, I could see that argument being made. But he's just a bad hitter. At best, his line could jump to about .270/.305/.400 or so. To go along with his, what I've heard it quoted as, bad baseball instincts, he's just not a number two hitter. And to use the reasoning, "hitting in front of those hitters=better pitches" can work on any hitter, so why not on a hitter that isn't god-awful at hitting?

Last I checked this is Chads franchise and although im sure he appreciates comments I dont think he likes you guys telling him how to run his team. If yuniesky doesent work at the 2 spot then just like a real manager does he will find somebody else. Now lets all let Chad do his thing and post in HIS chise.