IST: Cubs vs Rockies

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm all in favor of stacking the deck against a lefty. In this case however his splits have never been extreme although his SLG is much worse against righties. When you have the flexibility of this lineup it allows you to do stuff like this. Whether it's right or wrong remains to be seen but clearly Maddon sees something he wants to exploit while giving Happ, who's looking like he might be coming out the other side, and Zobrist some playing time.

Depends on the lefty. A 12/6 lefty or one that paints on the corners really is neutral. The match up comes more from slider pitchers and seeing the spin.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Probably where youll see Zobrist and Happ getting the majority of their playing time..
Giving Heyward and Schwarber days off against some lefties

I think it safe to say , barring injuries and slumps , we'll see Contreras Rizzo Baez Russell Bryant and Almora in everyday lineup..

It looking like Maddon sticking with
Almora Baez Bryant Rizzo as top 4

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

They have to get their playing time in and that makes sense. Taking Baez or Almora out right now doesn’t. Eventually you want to see a day off for them but as long as they are raking you leave well enough alone.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I wouldn’t be shocked if we end up with a RF/LF platoon for the rest of the way.

Wouldn't surprise me either way. No predicting what Maddon may do on any given day, so why even try. He does win the majority of the games and that's the most important thing.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Dumb of he tried to hit him there..
Now they have a potential big inning with heart of order and wind blowing out

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Lots of errors on Javy.

Took his eyes off, looking to throw behind the other runner.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Doubt Lester comes out in the 6th
Already at 90+ pitched

Bullpen gotta hold

Bats gotta get some runs

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Well, here's a guy up from the minors. Let me out this untested kid into a high leverage situation, rather than have him start an inning with the bases empty.

Aaaaannnnd, it works.

Nobody will excuse tonight's effort with a gem, but through six, the Cubs have allowed zero earned runs.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
For those who care, Alzolay took a no hitter into the 6th. Ended up going 7 innings with 1 hit(got the guy in a double play right after) with 2 walks and 6 k's. In 3 starts he's given up 5 hits in 21 innings with 6 walks, 14 k's and 4 ER.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Nice job by Farrell tonight..

Let get him the win

chibears55

Liked Posts:
For those who care, Alzolay took a no hitter into the 6th. Ended up going 7 innings with 1 hit(got the guy in a double play right after) with 2 walks and 6 k's. In 3 starts he's given up 5 hits in 21 innings with 6 walks, 14 k's and 4 ER.
I care, been keeping an eye on him

My question is , he's ready come next year, who gets traded?

Quintana or Chatwood assuming they keep Alzolay

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I care, been keeping an eye on him

My question is , he's ready come next year, who gets traded?

Quintana or Chatwood assuming they keep Alzolay

Not sure I'd bring him up now even if they had the spot. I like to see a guy get 50+ innings and preferably like 100 at a level before seeing them promoted. So, I don't think you worry so much about 2018. 2019 on the other hand might be a question. But I do think he could be an impact guy out of the bullpen around july. If the cubs are winning you could easily bring him up and use him in the Monty role and potentially send one of the relievers down.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Not sure I'd bring him up now even if they had the spot. I like to see a guy get 50+ innings and preferably like 100 at a level before seeing them promoted. So, I don't think you worry so much about 2018. 2019 on the other hand might be a question. But I do think he could be an impact guy out of the bullpen around july. If the cubs are winning you could easily bring him up and use him in the Monty role and potentially send one of the relievers down.
I said next year...
He in Iowa, he has a solid season there this year, he should be ready for 2019

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I said next year...

My mistake. I skimmed over that part. Honestly, you could just work him into the majors as a reliever if you had to. I think his third pitch is still kinda fringy but his fastball/curve are strong. That sorta stuff will play out of the pen. If everyone is good they are going to have a number of questions. Do you re-sign Wilson? If no does Smyly take his spot as a LH? They still have Duensing and Monty.

I've mentioned it before but I do wonder if they might build some trade around Monty. Thought it could be for machado potentially. But you still have duensing/Wilson in the pen as LHP and Smyly is already throwing. Supposedly he isn't happy as a reliever. If the right trade comes around it might make some sense to move him with the idea of filling his bullpen spot with Alzolay/Smyly depending on where they are in july.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Where Morrow

this is for 1st place, Pirates lost tonight

chibears55

Liked Posts:
My mistake. I skimmed over that part. Honestly, you could just work him into the majors as a reliever if you had to. I think his third pitch is still kinda fringy but his fastball/curve are strong. That sorta stuff will play out of the pen. If everyone is good they are going to have a number of questions. Do you re-sign Wilson? If no does Smyly take his spot as a LH? They still have Duensing and Monty.

I've mentioned it before but I do wonder if they might build some trade around Monty. Thought it could be for machado potentially. But you still have duensing/Wilson in the pen as LHP and Smyly is already throwing. Supposedly he isn't happy as a reliever. If the right trade comes around it might make some sense to move him with the idea of filling his bullpen spot with Alzolay/Smyly depending on where they are in july.
I see some kind trade happening..
If not at deadline, definately in offseason

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Something tells me Javy gonna get a day off tomorrow..
Not sure when his last one was but he just looks off the last two games

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
This is interesting..
Didnt realize it been so long since his last walk..
Maddon would drop them in order for not taking walks..

https://twitter.com/TonyAndracki23/status/991131020077518848?s=19

If i read the comment right that Tony is ref-ing it's was actually they will stay at the top as long as they are getting on in front of Bryzzo. I suppose you could read that as taking more walks but my take was that if they keep hitting they are fine there.