chibears55

Liked Posts:
1st place Cubs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Alex Cohen
@voiceofcohen
THREE. HOMER. NIGHT. Mike Freeman, never hitting more than one HR in his first 898 games of his pro baseball career, goes yard for his third time tonight with a three-run blast in the eight. @IowaCubs lead 10-3.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
If i read the comment right that Tony is ref-ing it's was actually they will stay at the top as long as they are getting on in front of Bryzzo. I suppose you could read that as taking more walks but my take was that if they keep hitting they are fine there.
Last part says if they dont start accepting walks...

Those two are hackers, and usually early in count..
Maddon should know that

I get it if he means being more selective and all , and not taking wild hacks when their ahead in count 2 n 0 or 3 n 0..
But
I wouldn't count on them taking many strikes early in count

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I said next year...
He in Iowa, he has a solid season there this year, he should be ready for 2019

The thought that he will come up in 2019 and be better than Quintana is a little rosy. Keep in mind, Q eats a lot of innings, and that impact is often overlooked. But it is important.

The idea that Q will be traded any time soon is crazy.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
The thought that he will come up in 2019 and be better than Quintana is a little rosy. Keep in mind, Q eats a lot of innings, and that impact is often overlooked. But it is important.

The idea that Q will be traded any time soon is crazy.
I didnt say he would be better then Quintana..

I simply asked what in anyone opinion you'd think theyd do if he were ready to start next year

I chose possibly trading Quintana because of all the starters, hed be the one they could move and he on an option year..

Lester Hendricks and Darvish arent getting traded...

Chatwood a possibility

Beck suggests start him out in pen first, i can see that happening but if he as some think he can be, a TOR type..
Same question will be asked next year

TL1961

Liked Posts:

I simply asked what in anyone opinion you'd think theyd do if he were ready to start next year

I chose possibly trading Quintana because of all the starters, hed be the one they could move and he on an option year..

Chatwood a possibility

Beck suggests start him out in pen first, i can see that happening but if he as some think he can be, a TOR type..

I understand. I was responding to yuor suggestion Q could be moved. I can't see that happening.

Besides, if they have a young guy ready to fight for a spot, great. Let's not hurry to trade out of depth. Injuries happen.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Something tells me Javy gonna get a day off tomorrow..
Not sure when his last one was but he just looks off the last two games

yeah, they also mentioned breaking in a new glove, dont remember that blue one on him, maybe he thought it would add to his highlight reels.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I understand. I was responding to yuor suggestion Q could be moved. I can't see that happening.

Besides, if they have a young guy ready to fight for a spot, great. Let's not hurry to trade out of depth. Injuries happen.

Pretty much

Theo went with a sure thing with the rotation vs waiting for a arm to develop internally.

Now on a solution? Going with a 6 man rotation is also a option later season to give some extra time off pre-postseason.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Albert Almora, Jr. has a 3.1 defensive score despite only playing 146 innings. The only other NL CF ahead of him is Lewis Brinson in Miami, who has a 3.2 in 227 innings.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Chatwood a possibility

Pedro pitched for 2 years in LAD pen before being traded to Montreal. It is not unheard of.

Here is the thing: players will force the decisions. If Alozay forces a spot in the rotation then a choice will be made.

Just speculation speaking I would look at long term vs short term. If they deal it would be to get something in return and a deal most likey would be based off of return value. Let’s just say Chattwood becomes the next Arretta and with his current deal his trade value is excellent. With Alzolay as a back fill for the 5 that opens up the door to restock the lower system with a volume deal. Maybe add in a player or 2 to get a stronger return.

That is the way that I would go myself but I would rather get Alozay in the pen or go 6 man in the latter season to see if his stuff is MLB ready.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
I wish Bernstein & McKnight would stop talking about xFIP so much. It doesn't really reliably do what it purports to do.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I wish Bernstein & McKnight would stop talking about xFIP so much. It doesn't really reliably do what it purports to do.

xFIP is a decent stat in terms of long term predictability but I think taking a pitcher's fly ball rate and using that to calculate HR totals is a bit too speculative to be reliable. FIP uses actual HR totals which I think makes more sense and is the stat I pay attention to the most. Bernstein has loved xFIP for years though so don't expect that to change.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
xFIP is a decent stat in terms of long term predictability but I think taking a pitcher's fly ball rate and using that to calculate HR totals is a bit too speculative to be reliable. FIP uses actual HR totals which I think makes more sense and is the stat I pay attention to the most. Bernstein has loved xFIP for years though so don't expect that to change.

I guess what bothers me is that Bernstein doesn't qualify any of his xFIP-based discussions by mentioning the dubious assumptions that underlay the stat. Listeners who aren't familiar with the criticism of xFIP don't get the full picture, and might come away thinking, "Boy, this is a really reliable stat in all situations."

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Albert Almora, Jr. has a 3.1 defensive score despite only playing 146 innings. The only other NL CF ahead of him is Lewis Brinson in Miami, who has a 3.2 in 227 innings.

Said this at the time but I don't think Miami lost that Yelich trade. Brinson could be a stud if he finds his footing with the bat. Guy is a monster defender and has a good bat if he can avoid all the Ks.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Also re: almora's defense, he's got a career RZR of .924 which is effectively the ratio of plays you make on balls in your "zone" for those not familiar. To put that into perspective, last year the top RZR were Buxton(.951), Billy Hamilton(.947), Jackie Bradley Jr.(.936), Michael A. Taylor(.935), Kevin Pillar(.929), and Odubel Herrera(.928). I'd also argue that the first 2 years Almora's RZR was lower than it should be at .911 and .912. He looks considerably more comfortable there this year. He's 29 for 29 on balls in his zone and 19 plays on out of zone balls. Last year in roughly 4.5x as many innings he made plays on 37 balls out of his zone. That's less than half the rate he's on atm.

He's not going to keep a 1.000 RZR forever but I definitely think he's Jackie Bradley or better with the glove which makes him easily a top 5 CF defensively.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
DcIjlCcVQAEixng.jpg

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I see we have acquired the greatest lead off hitter ever.

Return of the horse, which is completely appropriate considering Neil Young and the great Crazy Horse are making their triumphant return in Fresno tonight. Streaming live if we have any Neil Young fans here.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
A wacky lineup even by Maddon's standards.

Just a wild guess...Rizzo up top because he did well there last year. Trying to jump start him.

Russell at clean up? No idea where he's coming from with that. But hey, he wins games...so I have no problem with what he does.