IST: Cubs vs Rockies

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I get the feeling that if the Cubs had taken 3/4 from the Brewers and 2/3 from the Rockies the mood around here would be drastically different. Fan psychology is a funny thing.

It was how all that opposite field stuff just went away when the wind started to blow out. All they have to do is hit the ball hard somewhere and it would leave the yard. Anthony was just a little late on his leadoff homer, wasnt going that way.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Jon Lester signs 6yr $155M deal
April 2015
21.2 IP 6.23 ERA .349 wOBA

Yu Darvish signs 6yr $126M deal
April 2018
25.2IP 5.26 ERA .326 wOBA

New contract pressure a thing?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Jon Lester signs 6yr $155M deal
April 2015
21.2 IP 6.23 ERA .349 wOBA

Yu Darvish signs 6yr $126M deal
April 2018
25.2IP 5.26 ERA .326 wOBA

New contract pressure a thing?
Just as a cub...lol

Guess we get 6 QS and 4 wins in a row from Darvish now? Like Lester did in May 2015

I think that where the comparison ends

Lester looked more like a slow start
Darvish is more of a struggle

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Just as a cub...lol

Guess we get 6 QS and 4 wins in a row from Darvish now? Like Lester did in May 2015

I'm not sure what we're seeing from Darvish. Study the stuff and it's good, location is mostly good but he has to understand that guy know when that 97 mph heater is coming and are hitting it. It really seems like a mental issue to me and new contract jitters does do that. He doesn't look anything like the pitcher he looked like down the stretch and into the NLCS last year but there's no velo loss and command doesn't quite seem to be the problem. You have to believe he'll figure it out but it's frustrating as hell.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I'm not sure what we're seeing from Darvish. Study the stuff and it's good, location is mostly good but he has to understand that guy know when that 97 mph heater is coming and are hitting it. It really seems like a mental issue to me and new contract jitters does do that. He doesn't look anything like the pitcher he looked like down the stretch and into the NLCS last year but there's no velo loss and command doesn't quite seem to be the problem. You have to believe he'll figure it out but it's frustrating as hell.
Watched MLB network last night
They were pointing out how his speed ( he hit 98) and stuff were the same as his last game but location was off and he had no movement on ball..
Strike out pitch was up enough for a swing n miss but he missed on the homerun pitch to Arenado..

So their thinking his problem now is simply location and movements

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
That Otto guy might have them upset they paid Davis all that money.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Just as a cub...lol

Wouldnt hurt to just get Jiminez up here to catch for him. They got Lester his personal guy, might make all the difference to get his guy. After Caratini looked foolish swinging at that high fastball with one hand, maybe its time to put him back in AAA.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Wouldnt hurt to just get Jiminez up here to catch for him. They got Lester his personal guy, might make all the difference to get his guy. After Caratini looked foolish swinging at that high fastball with one hand, maybe its time to put him back in AAA.
I get it and it may happen at some point if they feel it could help..
But
Im sure management probably dont want to get into the habit of these guys wanting/needing "personal " catchers to pitch well

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Watched MLB network last night
They were pointing out how his speed ( he hit 98) and stuff were the same as his last game but location was off and he had no movement on ball..
Strike out pitch was up enough for a swing n miss but he missed on the homerun pitch to Arenado..

So their thinking his problem now is simply location and movements

I buy the movement argument to an extent, but his location was mostly OK to these eyes except for his propensity to throw those FB right down the middle. I think he's doing it on purpose actually and guys are smoking those balls. He's most effective when he works the corners and tries to expand the zone. then he can throw a pitch that looks down the middle but isn't. He still throws too many pitches which I've thought about his stuff going back year. He doesn't need them. FB, slider, curve change. Maybe the cutter once in awhile as an out pitch. He throws eight pitches though and it gets him in trouble. I think he'll get better but it is discouraging to see someone with that kind of stuff not get it done.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Gimlenez and he is hitting .200.

Mark Zagunis Is the only guy that deserves a promote. 15 BB and 13 SO’s. .440 OBA. at that point you have to start thinking strait platoon in LF with Schwarber’s splits

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I buy the movement argument to an extent, but his location was mostly OK to these eyes except for his propensity to throw those FB right down the middle. I think he's doing it on purpose actually and guys are smoking those balls. He's most effective when he works the corners and tries to expand the zone. then he can throw a pitch that looks down the middle but isn't. He still throws too many pitches which I've thought about his stuff going back year. He doesn't need them. FB, slider, curve change. Maybe the cutter once in awhile as an out pitch. He throws eight pitches though and it gets him in trouble. I think he'll get better but it is discouraging to see someone with that kind of stuff not get it done.

Just thinking with your mentioning of him possibly doing it on purpose and just not being smart with his location..
I think that a good possibility because he may be aimimg for that spot looking for the movements and just not getting it now..

I agree he just needs to stick with the 4 basic pitches to gets his groove going .. he can throw one of his other funky pitches like cutter or his gyro ball the 3rd time through order just to keep them guessing a little..

I just see this as a bump in road for him.. he been too good of a pitcher to just lose it all now..
Just hope he can figure it out sooner rather then later cause their going to need him

chibears55

Liked Posts:

Mark Zagunis Is the only guy that deserves a promote. 15 BB and 13 SO’s. .440 OBA. at that point you have to start thinking strait platoon in LF with Schwarber’s splits
We may see Zagunis come up if they decide to drop Happ like they did with Schwarber and have him figure it out in Iowa for a few weeks..

Heyward would just be the CF backup

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

It never mattered with Rossy. Just like people tell me maybe he got Rizzo going by letting him lead off, well, maybe you get your 25 million dollar man going with his personal catcher. there are priorities

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It never mattered with Rossy. Just like people tell me maybe he got Rizzo going by letting him lead off, well, maybe you get your 25 million dollar man going with his personal catcher. there are priorities

Contreras was not on the MLB roster at the time either.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
We may see Zagunis come up if they decide to drop Happ like they did with Schwarber and have him figure it out in Iowa for a few weeks..

Heyward would just be the CF backup

I would honestly be ok with it. Happ I believe needs regular play at this point. Zag flat out takes walks. He had issues with the hitting part but knows the strike zone. With him it is just a time issue going on and proving that he can hit at this level.

I could see a permanent situation with Schwarber’s splits and it would defiantly pay off long term