IST: Cubs @ Cardinals

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
cubs-cards-logos.svg

Busch Stadium- St. Louis, MO

5/4 7:15 PM CDT

Quintana (3-1, 5.74 ERA) vs Mikolas (3-0, 3.27)

5/5 1:15 PM CDT

Chatwood (2-3, 2.83 ERA) vs Weaver (2-2, 5.17 ERA)

5/6 7:05 PM CDT

Lester (2-1, 2.73 ERA) vs TBD

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
So, was curious if Heyward's launch angle had normalized or if it was still up which lead me to dig into his statcast data again. Interestingly they've added some handy stuff on baseball savant which is a lot nicer than it used to be. Anyways here's the interesting tidbits. Heyward's 2018 "barreled" rate is 5.7. 2017 was 4.1. 2016 was 2.7. 2015 was 2.8. His exit velo for those years goes 88.8, 86.4, 86.6 and 89.3 respectively. His launch angle is 17.1, 10.9, 10.6, and 4.7. Statcast has a different way of viewing hard hit than fangraphs. They have his hard hit at 45.7, 30.9, 30.9, 36.3.

I realize without some context that data is kinda gibberish. So, to give you some sort of idea here, Rizzo's exit velo average of the past 4 years is 88.5. His launch angle is 16.4. His hard hit is 38.3 and barreled rate is 8.6. My takeaway is there's a lot of improvement there but this seems to agree with my previous comments that Heyward is not squaring pitches up yet. Interestingly they also have a different batted ball data set than fangraphs which shows how he's hitting balls. In the past he was hitting the top of the ball too much(41.5 career rate) and not so much under the ball too much(21.1). That's flipped with his elevated launch angle to 27.1 and 32.9 respectively. Again to give that context, Rizzo's career rates the past 4 years are 26.9 and 28.9 respectively. Heyward's 2018 solid% and barreled add up to 12.8%. Rizzo's last 4 years is 14.7%.

Long story short, while I feel like I'm a broken record a bit saying this 2018 Heyward isn't that far off being pretty good. If he squares up a few more of those under hit balls he's close to rizzo territory. And in particular, that launch angle is basically right at the bottom of the band you want to be in.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
they said Wacha was getting sunday night during the radio broadcast wednesday

DanTown

Liked Posts:
So, was curious if Heyward's launch angle had normalized or if it was still up which lead me to dig into his statcast data again. Interestingly they've added some handy stuff on baseball savant which is a lot nicer than it used to be. Anyways here's the interesting tidbits. Heyward's 2018 "barreled" rate is 5.7. 2017 was 4.1. 2016 was 2.7. 2015 was 2.8. His exit velo for those years goes 88.8, 86.4, 86.6 and 89.3 respectively. His launch angle is 17.1, 10.9, 10.6, and 4.7. Statcast has a different way of viewing hard hit than fangraphs. They have his hard hit at 45.7, 30.9, 30.9, 36.3.

I realize without some context that data is kinda gibberish. So, to give you some sort of idea here, Rizzo's exit velo average of the past 4 years is 88.5. His launch angle is 16.4. His hard hit is 38.3 and barreled rate is 8.6. My takeaway is there's a lot of improvement there but this seems to agree with my previous comments that Heyward is not squaring pitches up yet. Interestingly they also have a different batted ball data set than fangraphs which shows how he's hitting balls. In the past he was hitting the top of the ball too much(41.5 career rate) and not so much under the ball too much(21.1). That's flipped with his elevated launch angle to 27.1 and 32.9 respectively. Again to give that context, Rizzo's career rates the past 4 years are 26.9 and 28.9 respectively. Heyward's 2018 solid% and barreled add up to 12.8%. Rizzo's last 4 years is 14.7%.

Long story short, while I feel like I'm a broken record a bit saying this 2018 Heyward isn't that far off being pretty good. If he squares up a few more of those under hit balls he's close to rizzo territory. And in particular, that launch angle is basically right at the bottom of the band you want to be in.

Comparing any hitter's baseline to Rizzo's baseline fails to account that what makes Rizzo unique is how drastically he changes his approach with two strikes to pepper the ball instead of try and drive. Basically by all measures, Heyward trying 100% of the time to drive the ball and hit up on it can't even compare his overall barrell and launch rate with a guy who spends probably 20-25% at least NOT trying to elevate and drive the ball.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
this is getting exhausting. You would think KB saying he loves to hit third would be enough to keep him there so he can get MVP numbers again.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
DcYNkMUUQAEbALL.jpg

Different look
Lol..

Though i hoped, didnt think we'd see Almora and Baez stay at the top with Bryant and Rizzo at 3 n 4

Maddon gets bored too fast sticking with a somewhat consistent lineup

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
this is getting exhausting. You would think KB saying he loves to hit third would be enough to keep him there so he can get MVP numbers again.

Your best hitter should hit second. I get it if you had two great guys to put 1-2 but the Cubs don't and after the hot streak neither Almora or Baez had the OBP to stay at the top of the lineup. The problem is the Cubs lack a solid OBP guy outside of Zobrist who can't play everyday.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Your best hitter should hit second. I get it if you had two great guys to put 1-2 but the Cubs don't and after the hot streak neither Almora or Baez had the OBP to stay at the top of the lineup. The problem is the Cubs lack a solid OBP guy outside of Zobrist who can't play everyday.
Cubs dont have the "typical" lineup type of hitters throughout the lineup..

They have no top of order type guys
They have a bunch of pull hitters that are shifted
They dont have that guy that everyday situational type hitter

Their all streaky hitters..

Its a dangerous lineup when most are hitting but dysfunctional otherwise ..

Go 4-5 games scoring a bunch of runs then struggle to even get 3 for a week..

This is basically year four with most and three with all in this group..
So, i know im gonna get some backlash for saying this but it wouldnt surprise me to see some changes in offseason to stabalize the lineup a bit for next year..
Guys are going to need to step it up this year and prove their more then just a good glove and can be reliable with the bat too

chibears55

Liked Posts:
What happened to Heyward?
Just noticed his Avg down to .229
Looked it up and he 1 for last 22

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Anyone speak Maddon
https://twitter.com/CarrieMuskat/status/992542429311131648?s=19

Where they should be?

Zo. Bryant.Rizzo.Contreras.Schwarber. That is what he meant. Not Russell out.

Baez got hot hitting #8 then moved up and cooled off. Hitting #8 pitchers will work around him more and it will make him more patient at the plate vs aggressive.

Almora cooled off also. Both are hitting .270-.280 where you kinda expect them plateauing. The .300 BA was a hot streak.

I would expect Zo’s off days vs lefties where you bump Almora to lead off. But we might see more of Baez moving to SS so add to his AB’s. Russell has not shut the door on it at all.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Potent cubs offense about to go 8 straight games 3 runs or less
???

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Man i hate cable. Not getting anything but local channels atm so cant watch cubs game but some how i'm able to watch south bend vs cedar rapids. Albertos doesn't look like he has any control tonight. Stat line probably looks worse than it was. Got a double play grounder then got bit by royce lewis. I didn't see him using many change ups so wondering if they have him focusing on his curve. The broad cast had him throwing both 2 seam and 4 seam and the 4 seam was working for him at 95. 2 seam he couldn't seem to locate. Curve he threw a few good ones and a few bad ones.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Looks like Chili Davis sucks as much as the last hitting coach

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Horrible fucking offense nobody moves runners and long everybody swings for homeruns swinging at ball for popping out with a man on second nobody out crap