IST: Cubs @ Braves

TL1961

Liked Posts:
In the words of Mark Knopfler, “Boom, like that”.

After losing a game Sunday that felt like we clearly should have won, a 9th inning comeback feels like we stole one back.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
He didn’t want to reaggravate the injury that put Yu on the DL.
The Flu ????

Maddon said before game, Darvish was good for 110 pitches tonight..
Game would dictate his outing

Maddon panicked after that homerun

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Needed this one..

Darvish looked good outside the walks..

Need a good one from Chatwood tomorrow

Be nice to get 2 from the Braves

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
The Flu ????

World Series-winning manager panics during a regular season game...in May...

Do better.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
The Flu ????

Yes, the flu.

I was kidding.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
2 errors and 15 SO’s. Sloppy win

chibears55

Liked Posts:
World Series-winning manager panics during a regular season game...in May...

Do better.
Seriously???

You're fooling yourself if you don't think managers or coaches make panic moves sometimes...

Not that I really think that why he pulled him tonight..

But it does happen

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Seriously???

You're fooling yourself if you don't think managers or coaches make panic moves sometimes...

"I'll take 'Things I didn't say' for $400, Alex."

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
The Flu ????

Supposedly Darvish was cramping. I mean I get people want him to be the work horse ace but if the guy legit is cramping after just coming off the DL I have 0 issue with them pulling him. Better that you pull him an inning or two too early than for him to wind back up on the DL because he pulls something.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Supposedly Darvish was cramping. I mean I get people want him to be the work horse ace but if the guy legit is cramping after just coming off the DL I have 0 issue with them pulling him. Better that you pull him an inning or two too early than for him to wind back up on the DL because he pulls something.
I saw that later... he wanted to continue but Maddon said no..
Better safe then sorry

He looked good after missing a start and all, hopefully he builds on that and has one of his better games Sunday against the Reds...

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I saw that later... he wanted to continue but Maddon said no..
Better safe then sorry

He looked good after missing a start and all, hopefully he builds on that and has one of his better games Sunday against the Reds...

Yeah, you don’t mess around with cramping after a period of dehydration as Darvish likely went through with the flu. I have zero issues with taking him out. If this team is to go deep into October he’s gotta be a huge part of it. Speaking of which the Braves look like a team we’re likely going to see in the playoffs. The West looks like a train wreck while the Central and East divisions look to be three team (maybe four in the central) dogfights. Should be fun to watch

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Yeah, you don’t mess around with cramping after a period of dehydration as Darvish likely went through with the flu. I have zero issues with taking him out. If this team is to go deep into October he’s gotta be a huge part of it. Speaking of which the Braves look like a team we’re likely going to see in the playoffs. The West looks like a train wreck while the Central and East divisions look to be three team (maybe four in the central) dogfights. Should be fun to watch

Atlanta is a fun team. They could also be rather scary if they decide to pull of a big trade. Lord knows they have the parts to do it. They probably need a big arm though. They got some young guys who are interesting but not sure i trust them in the playoffs or down the stretch.

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
Agreed with all the sentiments in the past few posts. Again, people need to understand what the current dynamic is and not continue to expect resurgent teams like Philly and Atlanta to just roll over and play dead for us, just because they've been lower-tier, easy-win-against teams for the past few years.

As of a quarter of the way through the season, while the Cubs have the second-best run differential in the league, it's Atlanta that has the best. Expecting them to fall apart when facing us, like they have in every series we've played them over the past three years, is not very useful. We should be exceedingly happy we (and, admittedly, the umpires and the New York replay officials) managed to keep them to two runs, not upset at Darvish for giving up one run over four innings, and only pitching four innings on his first start off the DL.

I still think we have more depth than the other teams in the Central, and, like last year, will outlast them. It's always a great challenge, making it though the playoffs just to get to the WS, and yeah, we may see some different teams than expected in the playoffs that we'll need to get past just to get back there. That's why we cannot -- and are not -- trying to build a team designed *only* to beat the Nationals and the Dodgers. We've just got to try and win every series, every game, every inning, every at-bat and every pitch.

You look at it that way, and put the effort and concentration in at those levels, and results will flow from that. If you are trying to win Game 7 of the World Series in every game, from April through September, you will almost always fail to even get to a Wild Card berth, much less...

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Guess who playing RF ?

Happ.. the one some here says has a weak arm for right
e72df23e197cb6fccd36314b4b0d1e7f.jpg

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Guess who playing RF ?

I never saw data that supported it myself

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Guess who playing RF ?

There's a difference between playing a game in a spot and playing there every day or even the majority of a week. I mean for crying out loud Kris Bryant has started games in CF. There's a reason happ has played only 73 of 736.1 innings in RF in the majors and 186 of 807.2 minor league innings in the OF at RF. That's 17% of the combined minor league/major league time has been spent in RF among his outfield innings.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
There's a difference between playing a game in a spot and playing there every day or even the majority of a week. I mean for crying out loud Kris Bryant has started games in CF. There's a reason happ has played only 73 of 736.1 innings in RF in the majors and 186 of 807.2 minor league innings in the OF at RF. That's 17% of the combined minor league/major league time has been spent in RF among his outfield innings.
Ok???

When I was suggesting in beginning of season that when Maddon plays both Happ and Almora , i had Almora in CF and Happ in RF, mainly because id prefer Almora defense in CF..

I was told that scenerio wouldn't happen because Happ has a weak arm for RF, and Almora would play RF if that happened

So, obviously Maddon thinks his arm is fine and also prefers Almora defense in CF over Happ

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Ok???

When I was suggesting in beginning of season that when Maddon plays both Happ and Almora , i had Almora in CF and Happ in RF, mainly because id prefer Almora defense in CF..

I was told that scenerio wouldn't happen because Happ has a weak arm for RF, and Almora would play RF if that happened

So, obviously Maddon thinks his arm is fine and also prefers Almora defense in CF over Happ

Heyward is on the DL. If he were available I doubt you'd even see Happ play tonight. The comments about his arm were behind the idea of him seeing more than spot starts at a position. Just because a guy makes spots starts at a position doesn't mean he is good enough to play the position regularly. So, to say his arm is "fine" because he is making 1 start in RF is being ignorant of context. The last 2 seasons, Zobrist has been -9.4 UZR/150 and -9.1 and Maddon still plays him in RF because it's what he has to do to get him on the field.

If your argument is essentially saying why isn't Happ in CF rather than RF, my assumption there would be that he sees the kind of value Almora is right now in CF and doesn't want to mess with it. It also could be a field thing. Off the top of my head I don't know Atlanta's OF dimensions but if they have a bigger OF they may want Almora in CF because of that.

Either way, I don't really see the point because you can literally put anyone at any position for one game. That doesn't really determine that they are capable of playing the position well.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Sounds like there is internal debate on the 26th man on Saturday. Joe thinks Monty has earned the right to it. Others think Alozay in a piggyback game.

I honestly would give it to Underwood as a piggyback game. He has earned it the most.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Metrics have him plus on range and below avg on arm. But even there is is based off who you read.

I really don’t think there is enough data on him out there to get past speculation.