2018 MLB Draft

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I still think they take a college arm if a good one falls that far. Maybe Jackson Kowar or Ryan Rolison. I've also starting reading some buzz that they like Oregon State OF Trevor Larnach who could fall that far as well. I guess we'll all see tonight.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I still think they take a college arm if a good one falls that far. Maybe Jackson Kowar or Ryan Rolison. I've also starting reading some buzz that they like Oregon State OF Trevor Larnach who could fall that far as well. I guess we'll all see tonight.

Kowar I find interesting. What I've read about Rolison though hasn't really interested me much in him. Kowar apparently has some upside left and already has a good fastball/change. Rolison really doesn't have 2 plus pitches and i've read he may need to change some mechanical stuff too.

Regardless, I don't really see where you fit a college pitcher in right now. A, A+ and AA all have really good rotations. Albertos likely is going back to A- and you'll also have Estrada and Brailyn Marquez who will likely be in A-. I'm not saying you can't have any college pitching but for a first pick it doesn't make much sense to me because frankly neither of those guys is an improvement over Little/Lange in terms of upside.

And the other thing is if you look at the offense on the cubs teams right now it's pretty fucking bad at every level. They need bats badly because while they generally pitch well they don't hit well in the minor league games. Problem there is that college hitters don't seem that abundant this year and even if they were do you really want a college hitter right now? The MLB doesn't look to have holes in the next 3 years.

That's why I'm thinking HS bat. You have a good 4-5 year window to let a guy develop and presumably a HS bat is going to have better upside to turn into something useful.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I been reading Ethan Hankins. HS pitcher is a target of ours.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I saw a mock that had us taking Sigler HS C from Georgia

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Watching baseball draft is boring...lol

Waiting for the commisioner to say with the #pick team trade it to ........

No drama here

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Hankins was a potential 1-1 pick early in the process but fell because of an injury and performance. He'd be an interesting pick but I'm not sure they would want to toss that much ricks on a RHP prep arm.

Seigler is kind of interesting as well as a switch hitting catcher. Wouldn't shock me to see him taken.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I know I said I didn't see the cubs going college pitching and I'm not sure he'll even get to them but if Singer is there... I think he's the pick. Not sure why he's sliding so much.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Beck, I was just going to ask you as why Singer is slipping. I would like that pick if he made it to us.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Singer ended up in KC

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hankins was a potential 1-1 pick early in the process but fell because of an injury and performance. He'd be an interesting pick but I'm not sure they would want to toss that much ricks on a RHP prep arm.

Seigler is kind of interesting as well as a switch hitting catcher. Wouldn't shock me to see him taken.

They call him a top 5 picks that injury put a little scare, but they think the money would hold teams off. They think Cubs could go opposite and slot over for him and save money later instead of how they been doing it.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Trevor Larnach is an interesting name to watch given we're getting closer. Other names on the board who are interesting to me are Brice Turang, Mason Denaburg, Anthony Seigler, Kumar Rocker, Jackson Kowar and the aforementioned Hankins.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
How MLB network figuring 3 1/2 hours for 2 rounds and Comp pick..
Taken 2 hours to do first 21 picks

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
Now let's see if Denaburg goes to the Rockies, just so Beck's interesting players start going away in the order he listed them... :)

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
How MLB network figuring 3 1/2 hours for 2 rounds and Comp pick..
Taken 2 hours to do first 21 picks

I think they reduce the pick time plus there's fewer guys in the building(if any left) after the first round.

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
And there goes Rolison. Why are the Rockies developing pitching, anyway? The path to effective pitching at Coors is rather different than at any other ballpark...

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I think they reduce the pick time plus there's fewer guys in the building(if any left) after the first round.
Yea but they still have 7 picks left in first round at 4 minutes ....

Plus why they using up all 4 minutes
Not like they need to wait on a call for a trade or anything....lol

They should have their list of names ready to go