KAT, Wolves 'not in a good place internally,' could come up in trade discussions

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
By Alec Nathan

May 18, 2018

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ves-reportedly-not-in-a-good-place-internally

Karl-Anthony Towns' relationship with the Minnesota Timberwolves has reportedly grown icy.

Appearing on Friday's episode of The Lowe Post, ESPN.com's Zach Lowe said Towns and the Timberwolves are "not in a good place internally."

ESPN.com's Brian Windhorst, who joined Lowe for a lengthy conversation, later posited it would not be unheard of if Towns' name eventually surfaced in trade discussions.

"I don't think Anthony Davis is going anywhere any time soon," Windhorst said. "But Karl Towns...now that might be a different story."

Still, it's important to note there are no indications to this point that Towns could be on the move in the near future. Rather, this is informed speculation from a pair of league insiders who are looped in on fault lines that have surfaced within the organization.

While the Timberwolves finished last season 47-35 and booked the franchise's first playoff spot since 2004, it wasn't all pretty.

Not only did Towns reportedly grow disgruntled, but 1500 ESPN's Darren Wolfson said in March that Andrew Wiggins "whispered to teammates" that he was unhappy because he had become the Timberwolves' third option behind Towns and Jimmy Butler.

That said, Wiggins' usage rate (23.4) clocked in ahead of Towns' (22.9) and just behind Butler's (24.9) as he averaged 17.7 points per game on 43.8 percent shooting from the field, including 33.1 percent on three-pointers.

Barring a shakeup this summer, the Timberwolves figure to run it back next season with the same core pieces since they already have $110 million in guaranteed salaries on their balance sheet for the 2018-19 campaign.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Sign (trade) him!

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
So a 2014, 25th pick totally exposed a 2015, number one pick who had first option usage for his position. Then the first round pick wants to point fingers when him and his buddy HAD those opportunities?

Sorry gents, this is what you call a red flag. But the same people who wanted Cousins will likely want KAT, and in all fairness, KAT is less of a headcase(but not as dominant in bursts, so I guess in ways, it evens out).

Last edited:
Liked Posts:
Send him to Boston. Kyrie, Hayward, Horford, KAT, and Tatum would be an unstoppable starting 5 and with Jaylen Brown and Rozier coming off the bench they would be a dynasty.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Send him to Boston. Kyrie, Hayward, Horford, KAT, and Tatum would be an unstoppable starting 5 and with Jaylen Brown and Rozier coming off the bench they would be a dynasty.

So the Celts will get KAT without giving up any of their core players.

Danny Ainge really is a god!

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
So a 2015, 25th pick exposed a 2016, number one pick who had first option usage for his position. Then the first round pick wants to point fingers when him and his buddy HAD those opportunities?

Sorry gents, this is what you call a red flag. But the same people who wanted Cousins will likely want KAT, and in all fairness, KAT is less of a headcase(but not as dominant in bursts, so I guess in ways, it evens out).

I think your dates are off a bit.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
How long is KAT on contract for? Remember Ainge still has a bunch of picks he can deal.

"Send him to Boston" seems to imply a trade.

He's got a few conditional picks. The only really valuable one is the unprotected Kings 2019 first rounder. No way KAT get traded just for picks.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Clint Capela isn't your typical 25th overall pick, just like Butler isn't your typical 30th overall pick, just like Draymond isn't your typical 2nd round pick, just like Manu isn't your typical 2nd round pick, etc.....

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

Look at where the celtics are WITHOUT Kyrie and Heyward.

They did not need to make THOSE moves. LOL Ainge.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Yea, I doubt the Wiggins-Towns-Butler nucleus is going to last. Wiggins is getting a big pay bump next year, and then in 2019 KAT will get a big payday(only getting like 7 mil next year). There's also pretty clear chemistry issues, and this team is still markedly behind the Rockets and Warriors.

With that said, there are a lot of potential moving pieces in the West, and the Wolves weren't very far off from a 3 seed. But it's hard for me to see this working out.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
KAT is a beast. A bit overrated in terms of impact, but extremely talented. I’d do Ro-Lo and both our 1sts. But if MPJ is there at #7 I would rather stay put. Assuming his medicals check out.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
The Wolves are never going to make a jump unless Wiggins starts putting in work. He hasn't gotten any better...he's just an inefficient scorer who sucks at everything else. It's to bad too because he has a lot of talent.