Falcons Dimitroff: Aaron Rodgers asked me to get Matt Ryan deal done

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dimitroff: Aaron Rodgers asked me to get Matt Ryan deal done

http://theredzone.org/Blog-Descript...n-Rodgers-asked-me-to-get-Matt-Ryan-deal-done

Atlanta Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff recently provided insight on putting together quarterback Matt Ryan's contract during a guest appearance on Andrew Brandt's The Business of Sports podcast, Herbie Teope of NFL.com reports.

Dimitroff dove into the business side of football, discussing how the Falcons wanted to get a deal done with Ryan and complimented the open lines of communications with Ryan's agent, Tom Condon of CAA Sports.

But the Falcons general manager also offered up a humorous nugget on Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers from a chance meeting in Minneapolis.

"I saw Aaron, interestingly enough, at the Super Bowl in the airport," Dimitroff said. "He just said to me, 'We don't know each other that well, but just get this deal done with Matt first so I can get on with my life.'"

The Falcons eventually signed Ryan to a blockbuster five-year, $150 million deal with $100 million guaranteed, so the spotlight now shifts to the Packers, Rodgers and the quarterback's agent, David Dunn of Athletes First.

Rodgers has two years remaining on his contract, and will earn base salaries of $19.8 million in 2018 and $20 million in 2020.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
lol Rodgers had to make sure he got paid more than Ryan.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is the type of shit where its not about dollar amount, its about making sure he is the highest paid.

And he certainly has every right to go that route but I have the right to think he is a douche for it. I will never understand QBs that take 40% of their teams cap and then miss the super bowl year after year because their team is just a few playmakers away.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
This is the type of shit where its not about dollar amount, its about making sure he is the highest paid.

And he certainly has every right to go that route but I have the right to think he is a douche for it. I will never understand QBs that take 40% of their teams cap and then miss the super bowl year after year because their team is just a few playmakers away.

Bucky Brooks (yes, that Bucky Brooks) had an interesting article on just that. What is worse is that in today´s NFL, most QBs are getting a huge chunk of a team´s salary yet very few are even close to worth it.

There are maybe 5 difference makers in the NFL who can carry a team. These are the ones who deserve the large chunk of the salary cap. Then there are the rest of the QBs who need super talented pieces to help them do well.

I have no problem if an Aaron Rodgers takes a large amount of the salary cap yet can make the offense top 5 with limited offensive weapons. It was the Packers´ fault that they didn´t provide a decent defense to what Rodgers provided for the offense. A QB that can make a budget offense very good even if he takes 40% of the cap. After all, 40% Rodgers + 10% budget offense = top 5 offense is still just 50% of the cap. What the hell did the team do with the 50% of the cap and the crappy defense?

Brooks has a term called something like the Dalton line. It is the line where a QB better than Dalton can be considered that the team has a QB who has a chance of being THE future QB for the team. Any QB worse than Dalton and the team basically has no QB and needs to keep searching.

The main point is that even the Andy Dalton´s of the current NFL are getting paid huge amounts of the cap. What is a bigger crime: Rodgers getting 40% of a team´s cap or Dalton getting 30%?

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:

If that is what his value is so be it. Its supply and demand. If rodgers hit the open market his value would be even more. He owes no one anything and should not take a pay cut.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:

Rodgers is one of the few QBs, no few players, who actually isn't ever overpaid. He's given GB some pretty good team contracts all things considered. The dude deserves to be the highest paid player in the league, if he so chooses.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If that is what his value is so be it. Its supply and demand. If rodgers hit the open market his value would be even more. He owes no one anything and should not take a pay cut.

Again, according to the market, he certainly deserves it. But I still think he is a douche for taking it.

Everyone in the NFL knows he is better than Matt Ryan. Their contracts are irrelevant. If I am Rodgers I am thinking of legacy at this point and winning super bowls.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

The other side of the coin applies just as much. I will never understand why teams waste the prime of their top 3 QB's career by not building around him while they can afford to do so because his contract isn't gaudy yet.

To put it into a few words. The Packers already fucked themselves and Rodgers isn't going to wait around for them to do "the right thing" anymore so now he's due his big ass pay day. He doesn't owe the Packers a fucking thing.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
Again, according to the market, he certainly deserves it. But I still think he is a douche for taking it.

Everyone in the NFL knows he is better than Matt Ryan. Their contracts are irrelevant. If I am Rodgers I am thinking of legacy at this point and winning super bowls.

No he is not and taking less money would not guarantee more super bowls. The reason he doesnt have another one is because of GB's incompetence. not his paycheck.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:

What so hard to understand? They are chasing the money and want to get paid big while not worrying about the team’s needs. About 87% of players in the NFL. I think it’s dumb but not hard to understand.

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I don't get why he thinks he is due a big pay day. He's got two years left on his current deal and he hasn't done shit for the Packers in recent years. Put up or shut up, Aaron.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I wouldn’t leave one penny behind in contract talks. You take as much $$$ as you can get while you can play.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I hope Rodgers eats up as much cap as he can. Like mentioned its detrimental to building around him

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Will Rodgers the the same post injury?

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sorry, I hate Rodgers. He is always so smug, seems like douche. Whiny, and he has that punchable face. But yes, he is one of the elite QBs. He's an amazing player. This really was kind of a dick move on his part. I'm sure he's living paycheck to paycheck, struggling to make ends meet. :rolleyes:

BigTom

Liked Posts:
I didn't realize he still had 2 years left on his current contract the way people have been talking about him being the next big one. He is 34 now and will be 36 once this contract ends. I'd like to see the packers give him a huge contract just as his skills start to decline and sinks them for the considerable future. But if they dont care about pissing him off they should just let him play it out then keep franchising him til hes almost 40 or not worth it anymore. Not everyone is going to be Tom Brady now and play at such a high level into their 40s. The huge, most in league history contract he's looking for is meant for guys 5 to 6 years younger just hitting their prime. Rodgers best years may already be behind him.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
"so I can get on with my life"....

What kind of douche says something like that? Like he's up losing sleep over it or something.

Not to mention, it makes no sense. Moving on with your life indicates you want to move on from the spotlight or move on from some kind of unwanted attention. In this instance, he seems to have used “move on with my life” in the context of getting the spotlight off of Ryan and onto himself, considering the spotlight shifted to Rodgers after the Ryan deal.

Meaning, he views his public persona as always needing top attention in the spotlight. If that status quo is disrupted by someone else getting attention he can’t “move on with his life” until the attention is back on himself.

Rodgers is one warped, weird fucker.