Schwarber is garbage

Dr.Footwear

Liked Posts:
Why is this clown not in the minors? Looks like a softball player. Total piece of horsecrap.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Wish I sucked hat much. I would be a millionaire

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
check his home run per plate appearance stats. 11/187, if you got to actual at bats less his 31 walks and sacrifices, its 11/155.

Lets just make sure Zobrist, heyward and Rizzo are in the lineup every day.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
2nd best LF in the NL this year, and only because Dickerson has 100 more innings than him.

[video]https://www.mlb.com/cubs/video/schwarber-nails-lindor-at-second/c-2075390483?tid=51231442[/video]

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Could the OP be Ommy's podiatrist?

Nah....he comes across more as a guy selling "hot" Nikes under a viaduct somewhere.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He is on a couple of my fantasy teams, I assure you he is not garbage. He is certainly at the bottom of depth charts, in that barely playable range, but his stats warrant ownership in just about every league. And ownership level means you are playing good winning baseball, are an exciting asset to your team especially if young, and especially if you have power and ops.

He is still young as he didn't spend much time in the minors. I don't think its reasonable to expect him to be further along than he is, and to be honest he plays like a player stunted a bit by being called up too early and bouncing around positions. He hits like a second year player, and he kinda is.

garapp

Liked Posts:
Garbage? No. But Schwarbs will never hit for average and is poor defensively. I think he gets traded in the off season

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Garbage? No. But Schwarbs will never hit for average and is poor defensively. I think he gets traded in the off season

Average means little.

OPS is well above average.

Defensively he is actually better than a whole lot of LFs. His arm is terrific. His range has improved.

It would be crazy to trade him.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

Schwarber hit .334/.432/.619 in the minors. You can say "oh that's just the minors" but people don't go from hitting .330 to being .200-.230 hitters long term. To put this into comparison, Kris Bryant is a guy who like Schwarber had some contact issues in his game. Bryant in the same minor leagues hit .327/.425/.668. Bryant is a career .286 hitter. So, for people to sit here and say that Schwarber will never hit for average to me is far to premature.

Schwarber has a flaw in his game right now vs LHP. He's hitting .248/.372/.538 vs RHP with 16.5%/25.6% bb/k rates for a wRC+ of 135. This year he's a little better than his career marks vs LHP but he's still only hitting .245/.383/.286 with 16.7%/33.3% bb/k rates and a wRC+ of 95. As those compare to his career numbers, he has hit .182/.301/.305 with 14.2%/37.0% bb/k rates and a 68 wRC+ vs LHP and .241/.352/.521 with 13.6%/27.1% bb/k rates and a 129 wRC+ vs RHP. In other words, he's hitting for a better average this year, better OBP and more power vs RHP. Like wise, the same is true for LHP save for he has anemic power this year.

What I would suggest to people is that 2018 Schwarber is development wise where 2015 Bryant was. Well maybe you argue he's some where between 2015 and 2016 Bryant only Bryant didn't have as big of an issue with splits. Point here being, Bryant was ready to be an every day impact sooner. With Schwarber he was rushed to the majors quicker. He only had 665 PAs in the minors and Bryant had 779 or roughly another half season in the minors. Schwarber also lost a year and I'd argue it's more difficult for LH batters because you aren't going to see many good LH pitchers in the minors where as RH batters get to see many more RHP to work on their flawed match up.

Regardless, Bryant has taken his K rate from 30.6% in 2015 to 22.0% in 2016 to 19.2% in 2017 and prior to his shoulder injury had his K rate was evel in the high teens this year. Additionally Rizzo who's another lefty hit .238/.324/.412 over his first 3 seasons(1211 PAs). Schwarber is at 1078 PAs and has hit .229/.342/.477. In other words, if Rizzo can work his way to a .290 hitter I see little reason Schwarber can't especially when he dominated minor league pitching at a higher level than Rizzo ever did.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Schwarber hit .334/.432/.619 in the minors. You can say "oh that's just the minors" but people don't go from hitting .330 to being .200-.230 hitters long term. To put this into comparison, Kris Bryant is a guy who like Schwarber had some contact issues in his game. Bryant in the same minor leagues hit .327/.425/.668. Bryant is a career .286 hitter. So, for people to sit here and say that Schwarber will never hit for average to me is far to premature.

Schwarber has a flaw in his game right now vs LHP. He's hitting .248/.372/.538 vs RHP with 16.5%/25.6% bb/k rates for a wRC+ of 135. This year he's a little better than his career marks vs LHP but he's still only hitting .245/.383/.286 with 16.7%/33.3% bb/k rates and a wRC+ of 95. As those compare to his career numbers, he has hit .182/.301/.305 with 14.2%/37.0% bb/k rates and a 68 wRC+ vs LHP and .241/.352/.521 with 13.6%/27.1% bb/k rates and a 129 wRC+ vs RHP. In other words, he's hitting for a better average this year, better OBP and more power vs RHP. Like wise, the same is true for LHP save for he has anemic power this year.

What I would suggest to people is that 2018 Schwarber is development wise where 2015 Bryant was. Well maybe you argue he's some where between 2015 and 2016 Bryant only Bryant didn't have as big of an issue with splits. Point here being, Bryant was ready to be an every day impact sooner. With Schwarber he was rushed to the majors quicker. He only had 665 PAs in the minors and Bryant had 779 or roughly another half season in the minors. Schwarber also lost a year and I'd argue it's more difficult for LH batters because you aren't going to see many good LH pitchers in the minors where as RH batters get to see many more RHP to work on their flawed match up.

Regardless, Bryant has taken his K rate from 30.6% in 2015 to 22.0% in 2016 to 19.2% in 2017 and prior to his shoulder injury had his K rate was evel in the high teens this year. Additionally Rizzo who's another lefty hit .238/.324/.412 over his first 3 seasons(1211 PAs). Schwarber is at 1078 PAs and has hit .229/.342/.477. In other words, if Rizzo can work his way to a .290 hitter I see little reason Schwarber can't especially when he dominated minor league pitching at a higher level than Rizzo ever did.

Right hand hitters don’t get shifted the same. If you take the shift away from the game Schwarber improves.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Right hand hitters don’t get shifted the same. If you take the shift away from the game Schwarber improves.

In 2018 Bryant has seen 150 PAs out of 310 with a shift(48.4%). Schwarber is at 211 out of 303 or 69.6. So I mean it's 20% which is not nothing but it's not *that* crazy in terms of difference. Over 600 PAs in a season you're talking about 120 more shifts. In the case of Schwarber in particular he has 43.7% of his PAs right now ending in a walk or a K. In other words, that 120 difference goes down to 68 or so where a ball ends up in play.

And frankly the shift isn't really even hurting him. His wOBA with no shift is .311 in 2018. It's .385 with the shift.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Garbage? That’s being a little hard on the Beaver.
Now Chatwood.....I’ll agree.

Sammich

Liked Posts:
Why is this clown not in the minors? Looks like a softball player. Total piece of horsecrap.

He has been playing a lot better in July.... he had a slow start, but I think he deserves to be in the majors. His BA could use a lot of work, but I am not sure who you think deserves to take his spot in the lineup.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Even if he was hitting so well he would be earning every day time, he would not get it.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
So I've read a few MLB/stats books and made me realize how OPS isn't really that great a stat since it equally values one point of OBP versus one point of slugging and that's not really true. So the first stat I look at with any hitter is their OBP. You cannot be a valuable hitter if you make a ton of outs.

Let me put it this way: Javy Baez right now is a valuable hitter (129 wRC) with a .327/.557 OPS measure. I'd GLADLY "sell' .050 points off the slugging to add it to his OBP and make him a .377/.507 hitter. But back to Kyle, let's look at his numbers

OBP - .366 (that's pretty good for any guy who is as pull happy/sees the shift as Kyle does)
Slugging - .480 (above average slugging, can live with that)
Range rating defensively - 94/106 (.889%). That's average for a LF. Not killing you
OF assists - 9 (really good)

All in all, he's a perfectly playable hitter. Maybe his hitting stroke returns in 2019 (when he's finally not either rehabbing or doing massive amounts of cardio) and he becomes the more all-around hitter many thought he was in the minors but even if it doesn't, he's a perfectly fine hitter for the low middle/high bottom of the order.

Next year, this could be your order

Vs RHP
Happ - CF
Bryant - 3B
Rizzo - 1B
Baez - 2B
Schwarber -LF
Contreras - C
Heyward - RF
Russell/Baez - SS

Utility - Zobrist

Vs LHP
Rizzo - 1B
Almora - CF
Bryant - 3B
Baez - 2B
Contreras - C
Russell - SS
Heyward - RF
P
Bote - LF

I'm perfectly fine with either of those lineups. I know that the Cubs don't have a "regular" lineup but I'm more or less saying those are the frameworks.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
So I've read a few MLB/stats books and made me realize how OPS isn't really that great a stat since it equally values one point of OBP versus one point of slugging and that's not really true. So the first stat I look at with any hitter is their OBP. You cannot be a valuable hitter if you make a ton of outs.

Let me put it this way: Javy Baez right now is a valuable hitter (129 wRC) with a .327/.557 OPS measure. I'd GLADLY "sell' .050 points off the slugging to add it to his OBP and make him a .377/.507 hitter. But back to Kyle, let's look at his numbers

OBP - .366 (that's pretty good for any guy who is as pull happy/sees the shift as Kyle does)
Range rating defensively - 94/106 (.889%). That's average for a LF. Not killing you

All in all, he's a perfectly playable hitter. Maybe his hitting stroke returns in 2019 (when he's finally not either rehabbing or doing massive amounts of cardio) and he becomes the more all-around hitter many thought he was in the minors but even if it doesn't, he's a perfectly fine hitter for the low middle/high bottom of the order.

Vs RHP
Happ - CF
Bryant - 3B
Rizzo - 1B
Baez - 2B
Schwarber -LF
Contreras - C
Heyward - RF
Russell/Baez - SS

Utility - Zobrist

Vs LHP
Rizzo - 1B
Almora - CF
Bryant - 3B
Baez - 2B
Contreras - C
Russell - SS
Heyward - RF
P
Bote - LF

I'm perfectly fine with either of those lineups. I know that the Cubs don't have a "regular" lineup but I'm more or less saying those are the frameworks.
OPS from what I've seen , has more value for players who hit .230 but has power and walks then the guy who hits .300 but has limited power ...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

chibears55

Liked Posts:

Vs RHP
Happ - CF
Bryant - 3B
Rizzo - 1B
Baez - 2B
Schwarber -LF
Contreras - C
Heyward - RF
Russell/Baez - SS

Utility - Zobrist

Vs LHP
Rizzo - 1B
Almora - CF
Bryant - 3B
Baez - 2B
Contreras - C
Russell - SS
Heyward - RF
P
Bote - LF

Id bet the farm that 1 to all of these guys wont be a cub next season...

Happ
Russell
Schwarber
Almora
Heyward

I can see Epstein and Hoyer changing things up this offseason..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I just think Chatwood should eat cat poop and beg forgiveness

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Vs RHP
Happ - CF
Bryant - 3B
Rizzo - 1B
Baez - 2B
Schwarber -LF
Contreras - C
Heyward - RF
Russell/Baez - SS

Utility - Zobrist

Vs LHP
Rizzo - 1B
Almora - CF
Bryant - 3B
Baez - 2B
Contreras - C
Russell - SS
Heyward - RF
P
Bote - LF

I believe Joe believes that Rizzo is a 3-4 hitter every day and he makes the calls.

But factually speaking Anthony has held a excellent OBA. doesn’t strike out much. Will choke up with 2 strikes and crushes mistakes. He is the best lead off of all time. It is kind of a joke but he has every intangible going for him and stealing bases is a Dino

To add. Going over the numbers Rizzo is hitting .425 as a lead off this year. Ya. But Almora holds a .370 OBA there are if any one deserves it it is him if Joe moves Rizzo.

End of the day Anthony is putting up MVP stats. Some times you leave it alone.