E3 2018

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I’m pretty much like you on this game, no interest. In my case I have no interest in online games. I am fully aware that there are people who enjoy them. All power to them. Myself I am very interested in hearing more about Starfield.

Same here.... as soon as I hear "Online" in the title of a game, it turns me off.

Other human players tend to ruin the experience of a game for me.... hard to keep immersion in a game unless all the other human players are genuinely trying to do nothing but fulfill a role and do nothing else.

Though I will say the games they are trying to do where you can play thru a game with a small group of friends is admirable.... using instances and the like you can have a decent experience if your friends are into the game.

I just don't have any decent gamer friends for the kind of stuff they are building ala Destiny or Fallout Online or The Division, etc.

Hard enough to get a few people to play L4D or 7D2D

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
At least bethesda game studios is still committed to single player games. Thats probably why then teased starfield and elder scrolls 6 - to reassure people they are not doing the EA thing where they want every game to be online so they can sell loot boxes and cosmetics and shit.

EA fucking had a bigwig from naughty dog - the lady that was director and writer on all the uncharted games. She went to Visceral after Uncharted wrapped (studio that made deadspace) which is now owned by EA. At visceral, she was the lead on development of a Star Wars game. A single player, story and character driven star wars game focused on smugglers. Shit had a real good chance to be one of the generations top games.

But EA fucking shut it down and then closed Visceral. The rumors are because it was single player and they weren't going to be able to have a recurring monetary stream. This was maybe a little bit before battlefront 2 came out and people realized they were getting ass raped and decided they didn't like it.

In other words, they shut down what could have been the best star wars game ever because, while it likely would have made a lot of money, it wasn't going to make all the money. Just like how they ruined Andromeda, forced bioware to make and online game and will probably shut them down when it flops. the fucking cunts.

Here is more info:
https://kotaku.com/the-collapse-of-viscerals-ambitious-star-wars-game-1819916152

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I've been dying for a single player star wars game. I was so disappointed when EA got the rights.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I've been dying for a single player star wars game. I was so disappointed when EA got the rights.
If only there was another KOTOR like game...

The Force Unleashed games were cool, but just didn't bring the same level of depth. EA definitely won't be giving that to us so alas...

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

The Force Unleashed games were cool, but just didn't bring the same level of depth. EA definitely won't be giving that to us so alas...

whats fucked is EA OWNS BIOWARE. They fucking own the rights to KOTOR. That shit could have started production the day they secured the license. You fucking know that EA used KOTOR in the pitch to Disney. But no. Lets just make a single star wars series and make it an online multiplayer shooter. And lets have bioware make a different online multiplayer shooter, something completely out of their wheelhouse.

fucking cunts

Then again, Disney deserves some blame for deciding that instead of curating their IP and commissioning different types of games from different studios, they will just be lazy as fuck and sell the whole goddamn license to a single publisher.

they are fucking cunts too

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers

The first Force Unleashed was pretty damn good, but that was ten years ago. I like Revenge of the Sith, but that was PS2. There's been next to nil since.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
whats fucked is EA OWNS BIOWARE. They fucking own the rights to KOTOR. That shit could have started production the day they secured the license. You fucking know that EA used KOTOR in the pitch to Disney. But no. Lets just make a single star wars series and make it an online multiplayer shooter. And lets have bioware make a different online multiplayer shooter, something completely out of their wheelhouse.

fucking cunts

Then again, Disney deserves some blame for deciding that instead of curating their IP and commissioning different types of games from different studios, they will just be lazy as fuck and sell the whole goddamn license to a single publisher.

Rumor going around that they want to take the license from EA. I guess they can do that. However, there's nothing concrete to that at all.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

fucking cunts

EA ruins everything

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The first Force Unleashed was pretty damn good, but that was ten years ago. I like Revenge of the Sith, but that was PS2. There's been next to nil since.
I mean I enjoyed the game, but it wasn't on the same level as KOTOR to me. I guess it's just a different kind of game. Being able to walk around and just destroy people with force powers was super fun for sure. Heck, if they did the same sort of reboot of The Force Unleashed like they did with Battlefront I'd be very tempted to buy it...except EA ruins everything so it'd probably end up a disgrace of a game.

But to your point, there hasn't even been anything on that level since 2008 which is an atrocity given what they have to work with.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
EA is dog shit. They completely ruined NBA live, Madden, Battlefront, etc...they're just greedy ass people that care about the extra buck.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I can't think of the last EA game I enjoyed, much less that was any kind of achievement.

Was there a time when EA was a decent studio?

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I can't think of the last EA game I enjoyed, much less that was any kind of achievement.

The 90s.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:

Late 80's early 90's? EA barely qualifies as a "studio" anymore. They made some smart acquisitions in the mid-late 90's and ballooned into a mostly a third-party publisher that contracts with external developers like Bioware or just outright consumes others and turns them into internal studios (EA Tiburon, EA DICE, etc.). Everyone talks about them like this gigantic, malevolent, profit-obsessed "Blob" of the video game industry but I think the reality is they're mostly just oafish in how they do things.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Late 80's early 90's? EA barely qualifies as a "studio" anymore. They made some smart acquisitions in the mid-late 90's and ballooned into a mostly a third-party publisher that contracts with external developers like Bioware or just outright consumes others and turns them into internal studios (EA Tiburon, EA DICE, etc.). Everyone talks about them like this gigantic, malevolent, profit-obsessed "Blob" of the video game industry but I think the reality is they're mostly just oafish in how they do things.

I think they are seen as this ultra-corporate version of a gaming studio/publisher who intentionally ruins game production in order to maximize revenue.

I think that idea is half-true.... as you termed it oafish....

Mergers and acquisitions are hard enough on regular corporate entities, much less on creative projects like in game production.

In general something that is creative and/or artistic shouldn't be shoved into a cookie cutter assembly line and that is what EA has done on many fronts.

They may not have meant to harm game production with their business practices, but they certainly have.

EA seems to be on the leading edge of bad ideas for monetizing video games.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I haven't bought an EA (or subsidy) title in 10 years.

You miss nothing. Unless you like headaches?

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I haven't bought an EA (or subsidy) title in 10 years.

You miss nothing. Unless you like headaches?

It makes me scratch my head.... I know they make money, I get that.... but why run a gaming studio/publisher the way they do?

Is it really that much better revenue-wise to pump out half-finished and/or half-assed titles while building a reputation that turns people away from your products?

I know they get to release more titles and some stuff will just sell yearly, like Madden.... but there are operational overheads you incur when you operate the way they do.

I guess I just imagine you could make even more money if you relaxed your practices a bit and focused on quality over quantity.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
It makes me scratch my head.... I know they make money, I get that....

I guess I just imagine you could make even more money if you relaxed your practices a bit and focused on quality over quantity.

Whoa, I thought you were talking about Microsoft for a second.

Unless consumers demand quality, and us older gamers and users know how to effectively teach younger generations to spot these shady practices, then it doesn't matter. They will get their customers.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rumor going around that they want to take the license from EA. I guess they can do that. However, there's nothing concrete to that at all.

Rumor was they called up EA during the battlefront II fiasco and raised hell about how they are damaging the IP and threatened to rescind the license. Its probably why EA backpedaled so hard on the lootboxes. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney has EA on some sort of probation or is maybe taking a more active role, but it looks like EA is going to keep the license at this point. Unless they fuck up again.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

EA is not a studio anymore at all. It is a publisher now.

EA doesn't contract with third party publishers. EA buys them and then milks their IP until fans get pissed off and then closes the studio. That cycle has happened 5-6 times. Its probably the main reason so many people hate them.

The main things EA does that wrecks titles are:

1. EA forces secondary monetization schemes into the games they publish
2. EA forces studios to use the frostbite engine, which is great for FPS games but a fucking pain in the ass for anything else
3. EA enforces unrealistic budgets and release dates resulting in the release of unfinished or at least unpolished games. If there is even the slightest hiccup during development, target dates are almost never adjusted and can result in the release of broken ass trash that can sink a whole fucking IP.

There are a lot of other accusations made against EA, but those 3 are pretty indisputable.

AussieBear

fuck da EA..

Redwood studios offered me an internship back in the day after a doing full passionate review ripping duh triple play series to shreds... gave dem dah bullet points to make the game guud, attached with me resume. if you played mvp baseball 2004, i was behind the design... though i wasnt given credit... duh game was received well and was on its way to me full vision yo... I would have taken the gig, but i wasnt moving to cali at the time, i was in florida. I got turned down at tiburon by two white racist nerds during an interview for a full time testing position on duh madden, ncaa, nascar etc etc. BUT i still went in for QA sessions about 12-24 times a year for various games at duh tiburon

at the same time... if tiburon hires me.. i dont end up where im at in me life.. so its a push... but fuck ea and tiburon..

china special.... whats that you ask??... racist madden.. go back in the day and look for that original play.... all slants...