Bears letting o-line play itself out

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So in summary Biggs see it as Whitehair, Kush, or Daniels at Center, with either Whitehair, Kush or Daniels at guard.

Goodness Biggs certainly is tied in to the organization. Pace usually never lets this level of insight leak out.

Biggs also thinks either the Packers, Bears, Lions or Vikings are a lock to win the NFC North.

Think Biggs is saying if Daniels beats out Kush then Daniels plays center and Whitehair plays guard. If Kush beats out Daniels then Whitehair stays at C and Kush plays guard.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So we drafted Whitehair to take Slauson's spot at LG and then cut Slauson. Sounds about right to make sure we had his replacement before we cut him and Slauson can play center but was our starting LG.

He was also our starting center. Slason didn't fit. That's why he was cut. They don't do that before the draft so other teams don't jump you for players. This regime hasn't handed Daniels the starting job yet who was drafted higher and has less in front of him. Of course you draft guys with the intention of playing them but you don't hand them the job before you even had them in the facility. The situations obviously weren't unrelated but far from as strongly related as you suppose. They didn't like Slauson and needed interior line. That's as far as it goes.

Seeing how we let Sitton go, by your own logic, Daniels could only have been drafted to play G.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Think Biggs is saying if Daniels beats out Kush then Daniels plays center and Whitehair plays guard. If Kush beats out Daniels then Whitehair stays at C and Kush plays guard.

I think it was that if Daniels beats out Kush, there's a possibility of C, not that it's his. If he beats out Kush, he's beating him at G anyway. At that point they decide which alignment of Daniels and Whithair is most effective going forward.

Despite posts to the contrary, Whitehair is made for the middle. Great balance, squat, core and hands, head on a swivel. I'm not sure that Daniels starts anywhere though his future is very bright. The more mobile they want the OL, the better his chances are to start early. I'm sure they are currently trying to add mass and maybe given him some reps to increase his knee bend before camp.

Sparks500

Liked Posts:
JMO, I think the Oline is going to be a constant rotation, hence the drafting and recruiting of multiple position guys. When the Vikings played Philly, their D line was almost useless in the second half they were so worn down. Attacking Offenses need fresh legs...

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think it was that if Daniels beats out Kush, there's a possibility of C, not that it's his. If he beats out Kush, he's beating him at G anyway. At that point they decide which alignment of Daniels and Whithair is most effective going forward.

Despite posts to the contrary, Whitehair is made for the middle. Great balance, squat, core and hands, head on a swivel. I'm not sure that Daniels starts anywhere though his future is very bright. The more mobile they want the OL, the better his chances are to start early. I'm sure they are currently trying to add mass and maybe given him some reps to increase his knee bend before camp.

Agreed. Point is the possibility is stronger depending on whether Daniels beats Kush.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
He was also our starting center. Slason didn't fit. That's why he was cut. They don't do that before the draft so other teams don't jump you for players. This regime hasn't handed Daniels the starting job yet who was drafted higher and has less in front of him. Of course you draft guys with the intention of playing them but you don't hand them the job before you even had them in the facility. The situations obviously weren't unrelated but far from as strongly related as you suppose. They didn't like Slauson and needed interior line. That's as far as it goes.

Seeing how we let Sitton go, by your own logic, Daniels could only have been drafted to play G.

Not only guard cause they knew either one of Daniels or Whitehair could play there but they made sure to draft a guy that could take Sitton's place at LG. You make a hole then you fill that hole.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Full circle.:rolleyes:

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
So in summary Biggs see it as Whitehair, Kush, or Daniels at Center, with either Whitehair, Kush or Daniels at guard.

Goodness Biggs certainly is tied in to the organization. Pace usually never lets this level of insight leak out.

Biggs also thinks either the Packers, Bears, Lions or Vikings are a lock to win the NFC North.
lol the article is oddly written, the verbatim is twisty.

I think he's just trying to say they aren't going to throw Daniels out there if he's not ready.

They're comortable playing Kush.

Since Whitehair did much better at Center, I think Daniels is looking at Guard.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It all hinges on Kyle Long's status. They need him to be healthy to lock down the RG spot leaving only the LG/C combo as the question mark. If RG is also up in the air, it makes things immensely more complicated.

I don't like Whitehair at center at all, but I could see the Bears sticking with that for a season to let Daniels get comfortable with NFL competition before handing him the reigns. Center is a tough spot to play as a rookie given the extra responsibilities.

giphy.gif

Whitehair is a better fit at center than at guard. He probably won’t be as successful at guard with his short arms. (He’s be in the bottom 10% of all guards in arm length)

On the other hand, Daniels has the arm length of an OT. He has much greater upper body strength than Whitehair had coming out of college. And he has a body frame that could easily add more weight.

Yeah I don’t really see why we are using this bench press metric. If you are an o lineman you damn well better be using your legs and core, or you’re gonna have a bad time.

When You get your hands inside the framework of the defender in the running game, you’re definitely using your upper body strength to help push him back.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Whitehair is built for Center. He's competent enough to play anywhere but he's optimized for the middle. The things Adipost described are why he lasted until late 2 even though his actual college performance was as good or better than any LT in that draft. He clearly outplayed Spriggs that many thought got snatched out of our hands. Never liked Spriggs personally. Reminded me of CW that I never liked either. A chance at T if the get stronger and less passive but no sure thing and difficult to reassign.

Whitehair also go better knee bend than Daniels and is great at helping his Gs and combos. Daniels is a more aggressive drive blocker but plays high. He's got the size and balance to pull it off but guys have gotten under him and walked him at times. Daniels will get stronger, learn from the best and be great at G. I hope he starts this year but I won't be upset if Kush or Watford gets the gig early.

The only thing I might disagree with Adi about is Whitehair's effective upper body strength. It didn't show as well last year because of his elbow but he's country strong and gets better use from his upper body with very strong hands that latch on and don't let go and keeping his butt aligned. When he starts to get walked he pulls the defenders chest down and regains control. You don't see guys twist him or drive him back once he's engaged. He didn't test well at the combine but it really doesn't show on the field. That said it works better at stopping penetration than drive blockin as Adi noted. He's better at turning guys away from a gap, pulling and combos.

All that said, I think he'd be a better G on this new O than the last one but he's an even better Center.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Whitehair is a really good C and I do not think that it is worth messing with that. He had some bad snaps last season, it was not like he was getting Grasued all over the field.

Daniels has a better physical profile for OG than Whitehair and at 20 and with Heistand I do not doubt he will quickly make the change.

It is a much easier transition going from C to OG than the reverse.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Grasu is gone, finally. Between Whitehair, Daniels, Kush, and Long, somebody is starting at center and somebody is starting on the bench. I doubt Pace is feeling all that attached to Long at this point so it's at least possible he starts or finishes the year buried on the depth chart . I agree Whitehair flashed at center early and am not ready to move on from that project yet.

Don't understand this line of thinking. Long is under contract until 2021 and we just gave him a $5M roster bonus in March. As long as he is healthy, Long will not be buried on the depth chart and especially not behind Kush who signed a 2 yr/2.7M contract in 2017.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Did I really need to add "if he isn't healthy"? I would think that was obvious.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Lambert is basing this off of a comment Greg Gabriel made on the Score after attending Mini Camp.

He said that Coward was intriguing as a developmental player for 2019. He said he moved really well and at 6'5" 320lbs he has the size and physical edge you want.

Would be awesome if he could compete at RT.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Lambert is basing this off of a comment Greg Gabriel made on the Score after attending Mini Camp.

He said that Coward was intriguing as a developmental player for 2019. He said he moved really well and at 6'5" 320lbs he has the size and physical edge you want.

Would be awesome if he could compete at RT.

No one and I mean no ONE is beating Bobby Massie for the RT spot

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Did I really need to add "if he isn't healthy"? I would think that was obvious.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Pace is attached to Long whether he is healthy or not. If he isn't attached to Long, why would he give him a big contract extension? I would think that was obvious.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No one and I mean no ONE is beating Bobby Massie for the RT spot

He was speaking more about 2019 making it so they don’t have to re-sign Massie it spend big.

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
Derailing?

I was just clarifying a point that the terrible article you pasted was not written by Brad Biggs. That is a healthy contribution. Derailing would have posting just to call you and moron and you are derailing this thread. Then follow it up with some second grade level nickname.

I digress though...you never got back to me about the draft date. August 26th works for both myself and Novak. Gus is interested in a spot too!

Less than ten weeks left...get back to me when you decide if you want to do the draft in the evening again or move it back into the afternoon.

Why does it not surprise me that the guy who doesn't know the difference between auction draft and ppr scoring wouldn't understand your post

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Why does it not surprise me that the guy who doesn't know the difference between auction draft and ppr scoring wouldn't understand your post

Welcome back from the tempermaban