Barry Trotz steps down as head coach of Washington Capitals

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Barry Trotz resigned Monday as head coach. The last time a team did not retain its head coach after winning a championship was 2002, when the legendary Scotty Bowman retired after winning the Stanley Cup with the Detroit Red Wings.

Winning the Stanley Cup, however, triggered a clause in Trotz’s contract that gave him an automatic two-year extension, Capitals General Manager Brian MacLellan said. The extension included a modest raise on what NHL salary-tracking database CapFriendly.com lists as a $1.5 million annual salary. Incentives in the contract pushed that figure over $2 million due to the playoff success this past season. That still left Trotz far from the ranks of the league’s highest-paid coaches, and compared to other Stanley Cup-winning coaches, Trotz would have been undercompensated.

“His representative wants to take advantage of Barry’s experience and Stanley Cup win and was trying to negotiate a deal that compensates him as one of the better coaches in the league — a top-four or five coach — so he’s looking for that type of contract,” MacLellan said Monday.

FULL STORY

This should be Q's replacement. Those years in Nashville he did a lot with out a lot of talent. He's a class guy and excellent coach. Send Q to the Caps and give Trotz what he wants.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Crazy

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Q retires to CO when his time here is done. I believe he already owns a ranch or some type of estate there for retirement.

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
Same complaints about Trotz as Q, he plays vets before the young kids. And all the other things people whinge about their coaches. Regardless of who it is.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Trotz had great rosters that underachieved for years. This was all about money, caps win the cup and get a bargain head coach for 2 years, what a joke.

He is pretty much guaranteed the Islander job, but now its going to cost them a few million more.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Trotz had great rosters that underachieved for years. This was all about money, caps win the cup and get a bargain head coach for 2 years, what a joke.

He is pretty much guaranteed the Islander job, but now its going to cost them a few million more.

Pretty much.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Barry Trotz looks like a man who loves donuts

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Barry Trotz looks like a man who loves donuts

Back in Nashville he looked like a guy they poured into a suit and forgot to say, "when!"

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Back in Nashville he looked like a guy they poured into a suit and forgot to say, "when!"

Back in those days, when the Hawks played Nashville... my roommate and I once watched Trotz yelling at one of his assistants and then the ref and we imagined he was screaming about how his players needed more donuts..... and thus the legend was born.

THEY MUST BE MOTIVATED BY THE DONUTS

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Does anyone know if there are any reruns of full hockey games on TV? Alcohol just isn't getting it done for my insomnia these days.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
officially (already) signs with the Islanders, reports its 5/20, pretty low average for a cup winner.