MORE reasons why Mitch & Bears O will breakout in 2018

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My Part 2 follow up to the article: https://beargoggleson.com/2018/06/13/5-reasons-mitchell-trubisky-will-breakout-2018/

+ thread on the 5 Reasons article: http://www.chicitysports.com/forum/showthread.php/96482-5-reasons-why-Mitchell-Trubisky-will-breakout-in-2018

MORE reasons for Mitch & Bears Offense to Breakout in 2018:

6) Improved O-Line: Adding Daniels + a healthy Long is huge (TBD if he stays healthy). Kush back from IR for solid depth if not spot starts til Daniels is ready.

7) Improved Defense: A top 10 Def returns all key players, returns to full health (see if it lasts?), + Smith & other rookies TBD. Can't discount the importance of continuity here with players & Fangio staying. Only losses were some DE/OLBs who while productive in pass rush did not quite fit the scheme where ANY of the front 7 need to be able to drop into coverage to a reasonable extent.

8) Improved Strength of Schedule: in 2017, Bears had THE HARDEST S.O.S. after the end of the season. https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/t...ad-it-easiest/
There's a few misleading articles talking about final strength rankings, but Da Bears had it toughest. Note that Bears lost SEVEN games by a TD or less...4 of them by a FG or less despite ALL that we know was wrong w/ last season.

9) NFL Caliber FG Kicker: Cody Parkey beat Kevin Butler's record for points scored. Can't be more proven than that.

10) Better Health minus Fox: Fox has a history of league leading injury counts, not just recently in CHI, but ALSO in Denver and Carolina: https://theloopsports.com/2017/09/23/bears-injuries-drastically-john-fox/

11) The Rise of the TE: Shaheen, aka "Baby Gronk", is actually the same size as Gronk. You'd be blind to not see Shaheen was drastically underutilized last season or to miss his improvement as a blocker which likely sees his snap counts increase substantially in '18. Adding Burton is an obvious improvement also. Nagy himself said to expect more 2 TE sets, even 3TEs on field at once.

*12) More Help Coming?: Bears have a few bucks under $27 million cap space still available for some late signings. Unlikely any blockbuster deals, but who knows, a RT or short-term pass rushing vet might help get & keep the ball back in Mitch's hands more than last year's mediocre turnover #s.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Don't count out Watford. When we want to run, sit Sims and line Earl up outside or have them both out there. He can probably catch as well as Sims besides. Earl's a smart, good guy. Gentle Giant type and very athletic for a G.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Doesn't matter if Long is healthy or not. Pace will never let Nagy sub for him, ever. Just ask all the CCS experts and they'll tell you.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Not with Georgey-boy sitting in the front office, impossible.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wtf are you even talking about? No one ever said he would sit if healthy.

Sent from hell, or possibly Albuquerque.

So going back to your original statement, Long would sit if he isn't healthy. Well no shit.

Last edited:

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I’m kind of tired of the Shaheen hype. How about once he starts playing well, it actually playing altogether, then we can talk about how good he is... or isn’t.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
I’m kind of tired of the Shaheen hype. How about once he starts playing well, it actually playing altogether, then we can talk about how good he is... or isn’t.
But Baby Gronk could become a candybar. Kinda changes everything doesn't it?

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

No hype at all buddy. I agree BTW, and obviously we have to wait. :yep:

Are you disagreeing with anything mentioned in #11? Fox & Logs were simply terrible. TE production can't be as bad as last year = improvement for Mitch & the O in '18.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
What are going to be the excuses if the Bears look like shit this year?

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
What are going to be the excuses if the Bears look like shit this year?

Do you expect them to click perfectly out of the gate?

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm actually kind of tired of people being tired of hype

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
Almost all of the "reasons" given are not reason but assumptions

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the Bears will be better, have a better record, and are more fun to watch simply with the coaching change. In almost every article you read or talking head to here when discussing the Bears offense and/or MT's potential, last year's stagnant offense is mentioned. The offense and MT are going to make mistakes but they will also make plays at times. The defense is essentially the same with the exception of adding what looks to be a very good if not special MLB.

I'm excited to watch a different offense than the crap show they put on the field last year. That alone is enough for some hype.

Last edited:

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My Part 2 follow up to the article: https://beargoggleson.com/2018/06/13/5-reasons-mitchell-trubisky-will-breakout-2018/

+ thread on the 5 Reasons article: http://www.chicitysports.com/forum/showthread.php/96482-5-reasons-why-Mitchell-Trubisky-will-breakout-in-2018

MORE reasons for Mitch & Bears Offense to Breakout in 2018:

6) Improved O-Line: Adding Daniels + a healthy Long is huge (TBD if he stays healthy). Kush back from IR for solid depth if not spot starts til Daniels is ready.

7) Improved Defense: A top 10 Def returns all key players, returns to full health (see if it lasts?), + Smith & other rookies TBD. Can't discount the importance of continuity here with players & Fangio staying. Only losses were some DE/OLBs who while productive in pass rush did not quite fit the scheme where ANY of the front 7 need to be able to drop into coverage to a reasonable extent.

8) Improved Strength of Schedule: in 2017, Bears had THE HARDEST S.O.S. after the end of the season. https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/t...ad-it-easiest/
There's a few misleading articles talking about final strength rankings, but Da Bears had it toughest. Note that Bears lost SEVEN games by a TD or less...4 of them by a FG or less despite ALL that we know was wrong w/ last season.

9) NFL Caliber FG Kicker: Cody Parkey beat Kevin Butler's record for points scored. Can't be more proven than that.

10) Better Health minus Fox: Fox has a history of league leading injury counts, not just recently in CHI, but ALSO in Denver and Carolina: https://theloopsports.com/2017/09/23/bears-injuries-drastically-john-fox/

11) The Rise of the TE: Shaheen, aka "Baby Gronk", is actually the same size as Gronk. You'd be blind to not see Shaheen was drastically underutilized last season or to miss his improvement as a blocker which likely sees his snap counts increase substantially in '18. Adding Burton is an obvious improvement also. Nagy himself said to expect more 2 TE sets, even 3TEs on field at once.

*12) More Help Coming?: Bears have a few bucks under $27 million cap space still available for some late signings. Unlikely any blockbuster deals, but who knows, a RT or short-term pass rushing vet might help get & keep the ball back in Mitch's hands more than last year's mediocre turnover #s.

6) yes
7) defense is pretty much static, swapped a few pieces, but don't see a major improvement (or regression either). Smith will be a good player long term, but it remains to be seen how fast he adapts and learns at the NFL level. Remains to be seen if last year was a turning point for Fuller, or an out-lier. Prince played better than I expected last year, lets hope the age/injury bug doesn't catch up to him this year.
8) Don't buy into the SOS schedule nonsense. And the losing a bunch of games by a touchdown or less is a claim many many teams can make.
9) anything approaching average is a huge improvement, so I agree on this one.
10) Bah, this is just an assumption on your part. Bears could improve on health drastically, but if they lose MT, they are picking top five again next year, so we will wait and see.
11) So, Shaheen is the same size as Gronk....so what?
12) I agree on this.