Matt Forte wasn't joking when he asked the Bears for a job

Sammich

Liked Posts:
Matt Forte officially retired as a member of the Chicago Bears in April, but he's making a push to hang around with the club as a member of Matt Nagy's coaching staff.

On Tuesday, the 32-year-old replied to a tweet regarding his interest in the new role and said he "wasn't joking" following an initial pitch to the team that selected him in the second round of the 2008 draft.

If the Bears are intent on bringing a consultant aboard, they could do worse than Forte.

The two-time Pro Bowler established himself as one of the NFL's premier three-down backs during his peak, and he finished his 10-year career with 14,468 yards and 75 touchdowns from scrimmage.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...s-he-wasnt-joking-when-he-asked-bears-for-job

Matt Forte is one of the best running backs in Chicago Bears history. Now, he wants to help the next generation of Bears players by taking on a new role with the team.

It started, as most things do in this day and age, with a tweet. On June 13, Forte tweeted at the Bears to ask them for a coaching job after he saw the news that DeMarcus Ware was joining the Broncos as a part-time pass-rushing consultant.

Most assumed that Forte was joking. He was not.

When our friends over at 247Sports wrote about his tweet, Forte interrupted them to clarify that he was being totally serious.

Forte's resume speaks for itself. With the Bears from 2008-15, Forte totaled 12,718 yards and 64 touchdowns from scrimmage before spending the final two years of his career with the Jets. He was one of the most versatile and consistent running backs during the peak of his career. In Bears franchise history, he ranks second all-time in rushing yards behind only Walter Payton and seventh all-time in receiving yards.

The Bears have, however, found a way to replace Forte. In 2016, they drafted Jordan Howard in the fifth round. Only Ezekiel Elliott and Le'Veon Bell have rushed for more yards than Howard over the past two seasons. Then in 2017 they used a fourth-round pick on the smaller and shiftier Tarik Cohen. In Cohen's rookie year, he racked up 723 yards and three touchdowns from scrimmage.

So, if Forte does manage to land a position on new coach Matt Nagy's staff, he'll have a ton of toys to play with.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...sked-the-bears-for-a-coaching-job-on-twitter/

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Great players aren't guaranteed to be the best coaches.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Great players aren't guaranteed to be the best coaches.

Not that I would base my coaching criteria on NFL productivity, but our current running backs coach had 291 yards and 5 TDs over 34 games in his NFL career. I'm sure Forte could bring something to the table if Nagy/Pace were open to it.

Sammich

Liked Posts:
Not that I would base my coaching criteria on NFL productivity, but our current running backs coach had 291 yards and 5 TDs over 34 games in his NFL career. I'm sure Forte could bring something to the table if Nagy/Pace were open to it.

Sorry to correct you, but he had 291 yards and 5 TDs for Duke University. He never played in the NFL.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hope he finds something. He's in that awful adjustment period when life as an NFL player ends and it's time to move to the next chapter. An awesome Chicago Bear, I hope he finds something.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Not sure of anyone who ever said that they were.

The article implies since he was a great player, he should have something to offer as a coach.

I'm not saying he doesn't, just that stats don't = coaching prowess....nor do lack of stats. Id water most of the coaches in the NFL were never good NFL players....

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I would find a spot for him on the staff.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Big fan but no idea whether he'd be a good coach or not. I don't see why not. If he could help with Howard's hands, that would be worth a salary alone.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
The article implies since he was a great player, he should have something to offer as a coach.

I'm not saying he doesn't, just that stats don't = coaching prowess....nor do lack of stats. Id water most of the coaches in the NFL were never good NFL players....

Since he was a great player he should have something to offer as a coach on some level.
Even if that something is being a mentor offering BTDT advice.
He doesn't ever have to be the coach who creates great players to be a coach who helps that coach create great players.

If he was such a natural talent he couldn't explain it I doubt if he would be asking for the job.

I would look at how much he helped other players when he was a player.

Mitchapalooza

Big fan but no idea whether he'd be a good coach or not. I don't see why not. If he could help with Howard's hands, that would be worth a salary alone.

Only way to help at this point would be to surgically swap Forte's hands for Howard's.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
No, he is a former NFL RB trying to become a coach.... he isn't a fucking Harry Potter wizard.

He might try to teach him how to catch slants.

Raisins_Face.jpg