IST: Cubs vs Reds

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Heyward's trying to put the team on his back tonight..... but it's not working.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Had to win tonight with Hendricks and tomorrow with Q ,especially since Saturday gonna be a bullpen game and Chitwood probably going on Sunday..

Brewers will probably take 3 or sweep the depleted Cardinals..
Cant lose this series against the frickn reds

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Had to win tonight with Hendricks and tomorrow with Q ,especially since Saturday gonna be a bullpen game and Chitwood probably going on Sunday..

As long as Hendricks is the #2 starter on this staff this team will come up short. We need Darvish back and competitive. Hendricks has always been a #4 starter. End of story.

Chatwood I believe might his bereavement himself. Wife is due.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
As long as Hendricks is the #2 starter on this staff this team will come up short. We need Darvish back and competitive. Hendricks has always been a #4 starter. End of story.

Chatwood I believe might his bereavement himself. Wife is due.

Wait, wait, wait ,wait......bereavement because his wife is due? Good Lord, I hope not.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Wait, wait, wait ,wait......bereavement because his wife is due? Good Lord, I hope not.

The planning process has also been in a little bit of disarray due to some happy news as well -- Tyler Chatwood is currently on standby, as his wife is expecting a baby any day. That will necessitate the right-hander, who started one of the games of the doubleheader with the Dodgers on Tuesday, to take a temporary leave of absence

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The planning process has also been in a little bit of disarray due to some happy news as well -- Tyler Chatwood is currently on standby, as his wife is expecting a baby any day. That will necessitate the right-hander, who started one of the games of the doubleheader with the Dodgers on Tuesday, to take a temporary leave of absence

Not unheard of. Guys do tend to want to be there. Not the 50's anymore.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Not unheard of. Guys do tend to want to be there. Not the 50's anymore.

Its not that, I might say all of us did not even know his wife was pregnant, I think we are shocked he was able to hit the spot.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

They aren't going to lose a series against the Reds. Last night Hendricks didn't have it and Rosario has a rare hiccup. That's all. Plus the Reds played pretty well. Today we have Q going and in his last 6 starts he has a 2.65 ERA, 3.41 FIP, 1.0 WHIP and an opponents .546 OPS against. This team has won 7 of it's last 9 series . They're fine. Time for chicken little to cross the road.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
They aren't going to lose a series against the Reds. Last night Hendricks didn't have it and Rosario has a rare hiccup. That's all. Plus the Reds played pretty well. Today we have Q going and in his last 6 starts he has a 2.65 ERA, 3.41 FIP, 1.0 WHIP and an opponents .546 OPS against. This team has won 7 of it's last 9 series . They're fine. Time for chicken little to cross the road.

Hendricks was the issue in general. He has little margin for error with his velocity being college level

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

Always the negative.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Lol..

What was the bats excuse , you forgot them.. lol

You have a lot of confidence for not knowing who pitching Saturday and it possibly being Chatwood on Sunday....

They need to win tonight and probably need the bats to score a bunch over the weekend..

It not chicken little it putting the koolaid down and seeing that the offense is constantly frustrating and we have no clue who pitching Saturday and if it Chatwood on Sunday, well that no sure thing...

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Always the negative.
No not negative..

Just being honest

Hard to have confidence in an offense that flips the switch on and off every week..

We have no idea who pitching Saturday and we'll probably be using up the bullpen..

Which leads to Sunday and as of now Chatwood who could end up taking a big lump if they need to use up the pen to get through Saturday..

So tell me again how confident you are for this weekend

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
No not negative..

Just being honest

Hard to have confidence in an offense that flips the switch on and off every week..

We have no idea who pitching Saturday and we'll probably be using up the bullpen..

Which leads to Sunday and as of now Chatwood who could end up taking a big lump if they need to use up the pen to get through Saturday..

So tell me again how confident you are for this weekend

This team has the #1 batting average in the NL. 3rd in runs scored in NL. 1st in ERA.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
This team has the #1 batting average in the NL. 3rd in runs scored in NL. 1st in ERA.
Yet their only 12 over almost half way through, what that tell you..
Tells me lots of inconsistencies.......

But to the point were discussing

That has nothing to do with this weekend and their pitching situation..
Why last night with Hendricks was kinda big to get a win and also with Q tonight..

Would suck to split or lose a series to the lowly reds, especially the same weekend Brewers and Cardinals are playing each other, chance to put a little distance on them..

Anyways we'll see how it pans out
Go Cubs

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
"Only 12 games over almost halfway through"? LOL. That puts them on pace for a 94-68 record, which is better than last season and also a year in which they went to the NLCS. 2015 first half 7 games over. Second half 25 over. 2016 18 over at the intermission and 27 over in the 2nd half. 2017 1st half 2 games UNDER .500. 2nd half 24 games over. So really looking at how this teams has a history of performing much better in the 2nd half of the season, your continued negative view of this team is unwarranted. Based upon their recent past 2nd half results, 94-68 would be a low expectation.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

But to the point were discussing

That has nothing to do with this weekend and their pitching situation..
Why last night with Hendricks was kinda big to get a win and also with Q tonight..

Would suck to split or lose a series to the lowly reds, especially the same weekend Brewers and Cardinals are playing each other, chance to put a little distance on them..

Anyways we'll see how it pans out
Go Cubs

First of all, only 12 games over? Last year on this date they were 1 game over and finished with 92 wins. This is an interesting graphic:

35923572_10155324383435997_595063999419121664_n.jpg

The consistency of Maddon's second half with these Cubs teams is nothing short of remarkable. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that this is a Division winning club by 5-7 games over Milwaukee with a win total of 96 +/- 3. The only real need I see at the deadline would be a RHP for the pen and even that is a nice to have as opposed to a must.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
"Only 12 games over almost halfway through"? LOL. That puts them on pace for a 94-68 record, which is better than last season and also a year in which they went to the NLCS. 2015 first half 7 games over. Second half 25 over. 2016 18 over at the intermission and 27 over in the 2nd half. 2017 1st half 2 games UNDER .500. 2nd half 24 games over. So really looking at how this teams has a history of performing much better in the 2nd half of the season, your continued negative view of this team is unwarranted. Based upon their recent past 2nd half results, 94-68 would be a low expectation.
Their 42 and 30

So yea if they go 5 and 4 their final 9, double it it 94 wins

But

You mentioned how their first in certain stats and to date in games they have actually played, that got them to 12 over after 72 games played..

It not bad but youd think a team leading the league in those stats, theyd have a much better record..
Am i wrong ?

But again that a different topic and nothing ro do with this weekend

chibears55

Liked Posts:
First of all, only 12 games over? Last year on this date they were 1 game over and finished with 92 wins. This is an interesting graphic:

35923572_10155324383435997_595063999419121664_n.jpg

The consistency of Maddon's second half with these Cubs teams is nothing short of remarkable. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that this is a Division winning club by 5-7 games over Milwaukee with a win total of 96 +/- 3. The only real need I see at the deadline would be a RHP for the pen and even that is a nice to have as opposed to a must.
That great what they did last year and hopefully they can all figure it out and be more consistent and win 50 games in the 2nd half this year..

All they need is...

Darvish to pitch and be better then a 5 inning guy. ...

Hendricks to go deeper then 5 innings

Quintana who hasn't been bad but need to go deeper then 5 innings

More positive then negative from the 5th guy...

Importance of those guys going deeper in games is you dont want to wear down the pen, especially in hot July and August.

Then they also need..

More production out of Contreras
4 Hrs 20 Rbi just not cutting it..

Rizzo needs to be much better , .220 over last 50 AB.. he got hot then cooled off

Bryant gotta get going more consistently.. need more runs production from him

Schwarber back to being a 230 hitter, every once in a while he'll hit a HR or two then go silent..

The bats just need to get on a consistent roll and having key hitters being streaky just dont help..

So yea, be great to see them have a 2nd half surge again but they need a few of these guys to get going consistently..

We'll see if they have it in them again..

Last year Happ gave them a shot in the arm in the 2nd half along with a surge from Schwarber when he returned from Iowa and Contreras before he got hurt..

See if they add someone to give them that shot in arm and who steps up to carry the load

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
That great what they did last year and hopefully they can all figure it out and be more consistent and win 50 games in the 2nd half this year..

All they need is...

Darvish to pitch and be better then a 5 inning guy. ...

Hendricks to go deeper then 5 innings

Quintana who hasn't been bad but need to go deeper then 5 innings

More positive then negative from the 5th guy...

Importance of those guys going deeper in games is you dont want to wear down the pen, especially in hot July and August.

Then they also need..

More production out of Contreras
4 Hrs 20 Rbi just not cutting it..

Rizzo needs to be much better , .220 over last 50 AB.. he got hot then cooled off

Bryant gotta get going more consistently.. need more runs production from him

Schwarber back to being a 230 hitter, every once in a while he'll hit a HR or two then go silent..

The bats just need to get on a consistent roll and having key hitters being streaky just dont help..

So yea, be great to see them have a 2nd half surge again but they need a few of these guys to get going consistently..

We'll see if they have it in them again..

Last year Happ gave them a shot in the arm in the 2nd half along with a surge from Schwarber when he returned from Iowa and Contreras before he got hurt..

See if they add someone to give them that shot in arm and who steps up to carry the load

Dude, I'm just not sure where all the negativity comes from. I read your post and I'd swear we're looking at a fringy contender, not one of the top teams in the NL. As far as Schwarber goes yes his BA has dropped and his K's are back up but those are directly proportional to each other and his BABIP for the last month is like .219. Also if watch him bat he's not striking out because he's hacking away, he's swinging at strikes. Some of those swings are going to start making contact. I'm guessing that in the end he'll be around .260/.380/.500 as it stands right now, after a mini slump and a an out of whack BABIP he's slashing .239/.368/.488 and a 126 wRC+. You realize that's a .856 OPS right? I look at the numbers and see a 95-99 win team. You see, I don't even know what, a team that could be challenged by the Milwaukee fucking Brewers for the division? I'm thinking you could even still be worried about the dreadful Cardinals. Come out into the sunshine, it's nice out here.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Dude, I'm just not sure where all the negativity comes from. I read your post and I'd swear we're looking at a fringy contender, not one of the top teams in the NL. As far as Schwarber goes yes his BA has dropped and his K's are back up but those are directly proportional to each other and his BABIP for the last month is like .219. Also if watch him bat he's not striking out because he's hacking away, he's swinging at strikes. Some of those swings are going to start making contact. I'm guessing that in the end he'll be around .260/.380/.500 as it stands right now, after a mini slump and a an out of whack BABIP he's slashing .239/.368/.488 and a 126 wRC+. You realize that's a .856 OPS right? I look at the numbers and see a 95-99 win team. You see, I don't even know what, a team that could be challenged by the Milwaukee fucking Brewers for the division? I'm thinking you could even still be worried about the dreadful Cardinals. Come out into the sunshine, it's nice out here.
Not being negative...

Just see too many question marks with this group..

Sometimes you gotta put down the koolaid and look at it realistically..

Do they have good talent on this team ..of course

Can they go on a great 2nd half stretch .. sure

Do they have question marks and uncertainties in the rotation and lineup.. definitely

Just as you can sit there and say they will win 95 games they can very easily do the opposite of last year and slip in the 2nd half because of their inconsistencies .....

Big stats are great but they dont always mean wins ...
Those stats have them playing 500 baseball over the past 12 games..

I look at this team and see alot of talented players but there just too much inconsistencies with them all right now...
Too much up and down week to week

Im not saying their gonna fall flat and become a terrible team..
Just keeping it real to what im seeing of them now

Yes the division is weak and it just the Brewers but 2 things...
Brewers can easily add to improve this deadline..
and to win a championship, they need to be better then just good enough to win a weak division

We'll, i hope im wrong