Official Acquisitions Thread

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Well I heard an "expert: say that if the hawks went the Hutton or Bernier route, it would show a bigger question mark with Crow since they were both three year deals.

Signed Chris Kunitz to be an elderstatesman on the team, 39, will play top 6 in emergencies for a million dollars. Pretty solid pickup, almost 30 points for tampa last year.

What would the off season be without signing another Brandon, Brandon Manning, a lefty d man signed a 2 year 2.25 per salary.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well I heard an "expert: say that if the hawks went the Hutton or Bernier route, it would show a bigger question mark with Crow since they were both three year deals.

Signed Chris Kunitz to be an elderstatesman on the team, 39, will play top 6 in emergencies for a million dollars. Pretty solid pickup, almost 30 points for tampa last year.

What would the off season be without signing another Brandon, Brandon Manning, a lefty d man signed a 2 year 2.25 per salary.

Perhaps, but the hawks essentially locked in their "backup" which IMHO was a dumb thing to do.

Ward is not that great of a goaltender. He deserves a chance, of course, but overall his career has been about as Forsberg was last year...and last season he was worse behind a better defense and seeing a lot less shots. We got him for 3M (unconfirmed) in real cap dollars, along with an NTC. We can't bury him without cap salary remaining, and we can't jettison him.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Way too much for Ward

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
I don't think it's too much for Ward... but it's too much for Ward as a Backup Goalie... What do they have now, 9+ mil in goalies again? I guess that means they either know something about Crow we don't, or they really are going to lighten his workload.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I think Stan is looking at Ward as more of a starter to tell you the truth, I dont think he has a clue on how Crow is. Also, the base salary is 2.5, probably still too much, the other 500K is games or minutes incentives. So if he blows and someone is playing good in Rockford, they can put him in the organ loft and save a half million.

Other news, Adam Clendening signed a two way deal with Columbus. Even when the hawks dont send people to columbus, carolina or Florida, our players still end up going there.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't think it's too much for Ward... but it's too much for Ward as a Backup Goalie... What do they have now, 9+ mil in goalies again? I guess that means they either know something about Crow we don't, or they really are going to lighten his workload.
His career numbers are on par with Turco's. Even as a fallback starter, he's paid about twice as much as his worth.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
His career numbers are on par with Turco's. Even as a fallback starter, he's paid about twice as much as his worth.

His career has stoped 91 out of 100 shots. He was a standout in 2010-11 with a .923 save percentage. He was averagiing high 60 to 74 games played when he was at his best, so he is not a guy that can sit for three weeks behind crow.

I dont know how he rates in OT, but our backups were crap in overtime, penalty shots and just plain terrible if it got to a shootout.

Even if crow is back I doubt he handles the load he has with Ward in the building and it might even have him better than he was with scheduled days off, well, as long as they keep him away from the Rise Against concerts.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
His career has stoped 91 out of 100 shots. He was a standout in 2010-11 with a .923 save percentage. He was averagiing high 60 to 74 games played when he was at his best, so he is not a guy that can sit for three weeks behind crow.

I dont know how he rates in OT, but our backups were crap in overtime, penalty shots and just plain terrible if it got to a shootout.

Even if crow is back I doubt he handles the load he has with Ward in the building and it might even have him better than he was with scheduled days off, well, as long as they keep him away from the Rise Against concerts.

Turco was a .909 just like Ward. Overall goaltender average is .911 since 2005. Starter average is .915 in the same time period. Crawford is a career .919. More salt in the wound: Crawford was a standout in 2013 (.926), 2015 & 2016 (.924) and last year (.929).

...and that .929 was barely enough to keep the 'hawks at the playoff bubble.

If Crawford is gone the 'hawks are proper fucked--there's no other way around it. Ward would have to be better his career best to give the 'hawks a fighting chance.

Halak, Elliott, Neuvirth, Miller--we could have made a play for any/all of them who have better career numbers than Ward *and* would have been cheaper--especially as a stopgap backup in case Crawford can't carry a full load. We could have had backup goaltending and some space cash to shore up the depth.

No matter how you slice it 3M for Ward is way too much for a below-average goaltender on the outtro of his career--especially being the abomination the 'hawks call a "defense".

Now, if Ward manages to put up a .915 or better seeing more shots/game than he saw in Carolina, great--I'll gladly eat some crow. But the fact of the matter remains is is what Turco was when we signed him in 2011 as a stopgap backup in case Crawford doesn't have it...and he only cost 1.75M in 2018 cap dollars.

The onus is on Ward to ensure this isn't an overpayment--and if it was I fully expect Stan to be out on his ass at the end of the year.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:

Thanks Dmelt, I had done it that way but I think my adblocker must still block the embed because it won't show up for me. even thought it looks like I had actually done it right.

Last edited:

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sooo What's happening in Blackhawk land? Not feeling optimistic at this point. See Stan and Q looking for work midseason.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Sooo What's happening in Blackhawk land? Not feeling optimistic at this point. See Stan and Q looking for work midseason.

My take on the matter as well.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I really dont mind the lack of betteran signing. TVR signed for a meager 2.25 for 2 years, Hammer still around 4, but signed an extension that kicks in 2020-2021.

Its time for the new core to sink or swim. Rutta, Forsling, Joker, Schmaltz, Vinnie, Cat, maybe Anton Forsling shows up this camp. Ejdsell, there are plenty of players that showed they do not deserve to be blocked by flashy names that make fans happy for a second than bitch all year.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I really dont mind the lack of betteran signing. TVR signed for a meager 2.25 for 2 years, Hammer still around 4, but signed an extension that kicks in 2020-2021.

Its time for the new core to sink or swim. Rutta, Forsling, Joker, Schmaltz, Vinnie, Cat, maybe Anton Forsling shows up this camp. Ejdsell, there are plenty of players that showed they do not deserve to be blocked by flashy names that make fans happy for a second than bitch all year.

Pretty much this, its time for the young guys to shine if they're going to, Ejdsell supposedly has good upside, lets see it. I didn't see any notable signings coming with this cap situation.

Is Joker ready for the NHL, I thought I read he needed another year.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Pretty much this, its time for the young guys to shine if they're going to, Ejdsell supposedly has good upside, lets see it. I didn't see any notable signings coming with this cap situation.

Is Joker ready for the NHL, I thought I read he needed another year.
Joker depends on his camp, but I don't know if an extra year in Portland would do much for his development. Granted, if his deal slides a year it certainly won't hurt.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Bowman in prime trade deadline form of too much needing to be done so paralyzed with nothing but the easy moves.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Bowman in prime trade deadline form of too much needing to be done so paralyzed with nothing but the easy moves.
True, but so far the aquisituions are lateral at best.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Feels like we're just sitting on our hands hoping Toews/Seabrook/Keith will do massive 180s and turn into superstars next season.

This sets up to be another shitshow year where we suck and then the house is cleaned.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Feels like we're just sitting on our hands hoping Toews/Seabrook/Keith will do massive 180s and turn into superstars next season.

This sets up to be another shitshow year where we suck and then the house is cleaned.
It's either that or they're giving Q and Stan enough rope to hang themselves again...and either or both think the same thing that's failed repeatedly in recent years will succeed.

Even if it's a shitshow I wouldn't mind another high draft pick as long as Stan & Q both are promoted to jizzmoppers by the start of 2019-2020.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Bigfoot will be raging this season, not a fan of the moves. They all seem lateral. As for the draft, I get that the Boqvist kid has a very high ceiling, but taking a kid that high with concussion issues seems like a big leap of faith. The other off season moves seem so lateral is their really any point talking aboot them. It just sucks that I'm involved in another sport, or when they clean house I would send up the old resume, and fix this team. They honestly need to embrace a mini rebuild now, and start building around the new core of guys that can lead this team.