NBA Free Agency 2018

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Everyone has to be original I guess, Paul George did not opt in to his OKC contract. I am pretty sure he opted out, but the official word is he did not opt in.

Apparently LeBron does not want to be the first to sign in Los Angeles.

Spurs back talking to LA about trading for Leonard, but if Leonard is first, they need to gut the lineup to get both James and George

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
James opts out. Now more teams will be trying to build the team they think James wants while he is in Anguilla vacationing with his family.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
James opts out. Now more teams will be trying to build the team they think James wants while he is in Anguilla vacationing with his family.
They should've been doing this already because everyone knows Lebron was gonna opt out anyway even if he was thinking to stay in Cleveland.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
They should've been doing this already because everyone knows Lebron was gonna opt out anyway even if he was thinking to stay in Cleveland.

Yea, LeBron opting out was pretty much a foregone conclusion

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Cleveland fans are like:

lebron-jersey-burning.jpg

0603f1ca9f564fafee426c3064ae4b1e.jpg

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
As a Spurs fan, I would like to see Kawhi go to the Celtics, but I'm concerned that Ainge isn't going to make the trade unless he feels like he wins it. I think the Spurs need to get back either Tatum or Irving in the deal, otherwise it's a no-go. I feel like Ainge would try to swing Smart,Brown,Morris,etc. which would be a bad move. Also not really a fan of getting Hayward. Very good player, but he's already in his prime and just had a serious injury.

I agree with the philosophy of not trading to a WC team....unless they offer a really good package. LA needs to give a very good deal(some combo of Ingram, Kuzma, Randle, Hart, picks) for this to work out.

Edit:Celtics trade might be trickier since Boston FO doesn't seem to want to deal Tatum(makes sense) plus Kawhi seems to only be a guaranteed re-sign with LA.

Last edited:

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

After the Lakers were fined twice for tampering, whoever needed to be the first twit on twitter with the back room meetings with agents are afraid for their jobs.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
As a Spurs fan, I would like to see Kawhi go to the Celtics, but I'm concerned that Ainge isn't going to make the trade unless he feels like he wins it. I think the Spurs need to get back either Tatum or Irving in the deal, otherwise it's a no-go. I feel like Ainge would try to swing Smart,Brown,Morris,etc. which would be a bad move. Also not really a fan of getting Hayward. Very good player, but he's already in his prime and just had a serious injury.

I agree with the philosophy of not trading to a WC team....unless they offer a really good package. LA needs to give a very good deal(some combo of Ingram, Kuzma, Randle, Hart, picks) for this to work out.

Edit:Celtics trade might be trickier since Boston FO doesn't seem to want to deal Tatum(makes sense) plus Kawhi seems to only be a guaranteed re-sign with LA.

I dont know if there are dollar amounts for the draft picks that San Antonio would be more interested in getting than Brown or Morris. Bostons first, Memphis' top 9 protected first and clippers top 15 protected and something about Philly or sacramentos top 1 protected. That is a haul for rebuild.

the celtics with tatum, irving, hayward, Leonard should have no need for those picks.

Pretty sure it would have to be a sign and trade though, and the way I trust pop, he might not let him go after he signs the 219.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
After the Lakers were fined twice for tampering, whoever needed to be the first twit on twitter with the back room meetings with agents are afraid for their jobs.
That may be true, but it was a foregone conclusion that Lebron would either opt out in order to re-sign for more money or to bail if Cleveland didn't meet his expectations. Don't even need inside info for that one

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I dont know if there are dollar amounts for the draft picks that San Antonio would be more interested in getting than Brown or Morris. Bostons first, Memphis' top 9 protected first and clippers top 15 protected and something about Philly or sacramentos top 1 protected. That is a haul for rebuild.

the celtics with tatum, irving, hayward, Leonard should have no need for those picks.

Pretty sure it would have to be a sign and trade though, and the way I trust pop, he might not let him go after he signs the 219.

Yea, it would likely be a sign and trade. Been reading more into it and the Celtics just don't seem to want to give up any of their younger guys.

More likely that Irving would be in the discussions, since Kyrie could leave in FA and the Celtics nearly made the finals without Irving(then add Kawhi and Hayward in the mix.) Rozier isn't Kyrie, but he's an apt substitute if you add Kawhi and Hayward back in.

Not sure Pop is going to want to rebuild his last few years(at least, that seems to be the plan in terms of going into retirement). On the other hand, even with Kyrie it's going to be difficult for the Spurs to contend with the Rockets and the Warriors plus whatever behemoth may develop with the Lakers. And Kyrie isn't old, but he's not as young as some of the other potential trade pieces and he has injury issues. Plus you got Aldridge aging and Gasol likely leaving.

With that said, if Boston offers Kyrie as part of the deal here, you definitely look into it.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I guess those Laurie pics were not photo shopped last week, he does have defined arms now.

Heard a few reports that Sacramento is going to offer Lavine 18 million per year and the bulls are expecting to have to get to 16. I hope they go at least 4 years so he is not looking for 30 in two years.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Paul George is a fraud. Perhaps the biggest fraud in all of the association. He’s now #1 on my list of players that I don’t want to win.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
George staying in OKC.

DeAndre Jordan to Cavs on 1 yr deal.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
George staying in OKC.

DeAndre Jordan to Cavs on 1 yr deal.

Jordan to the Mavs. Cuban still loves him even after that boondoggle in 2015.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
wild night. Big party in OKC. Could you imagine if the Thunder threw around this kind of money they would have Westbrook, Harden and Durant. I dont know if this owner wants to save face or get his 2 billion selling the team.

Ultimately no surprises other than George leaving money on the table and Paul vacuuming up every cent he could get while Durant will make less than both of them.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
wild night. Big party in OKC. Could you imagine if the Thunder threw around this kind of money they would have Westbrook, Harden and Durant. I dont know if this owner wants to save face or get his 2 billion selling the team.

Ultimately no surprises other than George leaving money on the table and Paul vacuuming up every cent he could get while Durant will make less than both of them.
Harden didn't want to be there, so no they'd have never kept Harden.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Lebby to LA, 4 years and $154.

Is it going to be him and Cousins? Cause that isn't going to win much.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Damn, who would have thought that the East could become even more pathetic.

Basketball wise, I don't get this move for LeBron. The Lakers aren't good enough to get passed Golden State or even Houston. It'll probably be that way for a couple of more years, at which point LBJ will be 35 and the decline. Even if the Lakers do get another star, LBJ at some point will not be good enough to dominant teams like he currently does.

Unless he knows something we don't know, like KD joining him next year.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
They could still acquire Leonard.

But even with that they're not coming out of the West.