IST: Twins @ Cubs

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Does “most versatile” mean errors at the most positions?

The fact that he plays 6 positions is a pretty good indicator that he is probably not exceptional at any of them...but just the ability to fill in that many spots is a huge help for a manager. The only thing I'd like to see more of from Happ is contact at the plate.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
and Happ is fearless in CF unlike Almora

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Baseball can be a weird game sometimes. All those great starts by Monty and he got little to show for it. Today was not good by any means and he should get the win.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Hey beck..

Do the IFA have a deadline for signing players after it starts on Monday

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

chibears55

Liked Posts:
How much IFA money can the cubs get for Wilson [emoji57]

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Beck, your thoughts on Almora's arm? I have a lot of friends that aren't impressed and think it's average to below average. I personally think this guy is better suited for LF. What do you think?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Beck, your thoughts on Almora's arm? I have a lot of friends that aren't impressed and think it's average to below average. I personally think this guy is better suited for LF. What do you think?

Scouts give it a plus(60 grade). Defensive metrics suggest he's a top 5 defensive CF among qualified CF. He's 6th in DRS which is a counting stat despite having played ~140 fewer innings than most of the 1-5 guys. He's 5th in UZR/150. Those numbers have fallen slightly over the past month. Around the start of may he was probably the best defensive OF in baseball and hadn't missed any balls in his "zone."

I'm a fan of Almora's so I'm probably not the most unbiased person to ask. With that being said, the scouting on him prior to coming to the majors slightly over sold his defense IMO. The talk was he a no doubter gold glove type. I think his range is good because he has good instincts but i think his lack of top end speed ultimately is what's stopping him from being in that top 3 or so CF group defensively. Then again, if this is what he is defensively and his bat is this good I mean I don't care. He's on a 4.5 win pace. Last year there were 25 hitters with 4.5+ wins, 10 OF's and 5 CFs.

The metrics suggest happ is slightly worse overall. Happ is an interesting hitter to me but he's too 3 true outcomes right now for me. However, if he irons out his K issues he's a lot more interesting because his walk rate is fantastic and he has decent power. Given where he is I sorta prefer him in a swing zobrist-like role right now.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Scouts give it a plus(60 grade). Defensive metrics suggest he's a top 5 defensive CF among qualified CF. He's 6th in DRS which is a counting stat despite having played ~140 fewer innings than most of the 1-5 guys. He's 5th in UZR/150. Those numbers have fallen slightly over the past month. Around the start of may he was probably the best defensive OF in baseball and hadn't missed any balls in his "zone."

I'm a fan of Almora's so I'm probably not the most unbiased person to ask. With that being said, the scouting on him prior to coming to the majors slightly over sold his defense IMO. The talk was he a no doubter gold glove type. I think his range is good because he has good instincts but i think his lack of top end speed ultimately is what's stopping him from being in that top 3 or so CF group defensively. Then again, if this is what he is defensively and his bat is this good I mean I don't care. He's on a 4.5 win pace. Last year there were 25 hitters with 4.5+ wins, 10 OF's and 5 CFs.

The metrics suggest happ is slightly worse overall. Happ is an interesting hitter to me but he's too 3 true outcomes right now for me. However, if he irons out his K issues he's a lot more interesting because his walk rate is fantastic and he has decent power. Given where he is I sorta prefer him in a swing zobrist-like role right now.
Thanks. Starting the year I thought Almora was a pretty decent defensive CF. But over the past 5 weeks he has collapsed/fallen down on balls near the wall. Like he felt the warning tracking under his feet and just caved to the pressure. Today he went left, dived and came up well short on the ball. On replay it looked like he should have gotten there and he wasnt even close. Also, the throw to the plate late in the game wasnt strong and I dont remember thinking he has a big arm. But I'll keep watching and maybe I'm wrong

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Top 5 CF in MLB, but you see him in LF?

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Top 5 CF in MLB, but you see him in LF?
From what I have seen the last month, he doesn't look like a solid CF. That's why I asked an expert and not you

TL1961

Liked Posts:
From what I have seen the last month, he doesn't look like a solid CF. That's why I asked an expert and not you

You want someone to say Happ is a better CF, which Stevie Wonder can see is not the case. But throw your insults. You being you.

I tease about Happ, who I am confident will be a good MLB player. But Almora has been very very good (not perfect) defensively, with a good OPS, yet you think he is Sarge Matthews.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
You want someone to say Happ is a better CF, which Stevie Wonder can see is not the case. But throw your insults. You being you.

I tease about Happ, who I am confident will be a good MLB player. But Almora has been very very good (not perfect) defensively, with a good OPS, yet you think he is Sarge Matthews.
As I said the last 5 weeks have not been kind to Almora. Maybe the Cubs will bubble wrap him so he can retrieve balls near the wall without fear

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:

Lol he is clueless. Everyone else watches and realizes Almora is clearly a top CFer in baseball defensively. He gets great reads and makes great plays consistently. Almost every game Happ plays in CF you see balls fall in that Almora likely would have caught. The only thing I can imagine is omelette’s view must be obstructed by some daily teabags. Maybe he should sit closer to the tv and leave his extra curricular activities until after the games so he can have better analysis.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The guy that has made a huge comeback this year is Leonys Martin. D wise he has risen up to #2 in the league. O wise .257/.328/.435. He is a pure platoon guy right now though.

VS LHP
Almora .303/.356/.455
Martin: .175/.224/.365

VS RHP
Almora .331/.366/.453
Martin .282/.358/.456

As you see having a better glove means little when you are facing off vs a guy that hits .300 vs both.

Martin most likely doesn't get a GG vote while Almora will just because of the O. Metrics be damned. Cain wins it though.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Dont get it..

Gets ahead of Mauer 1 and 2 swinging on a nice breaking ball in and then dont go back to it ... ends up 3 and 2 after a couple fouls and boom 3 run double on a meatball down the middle ..

He already at close to 50 pitches through 2 innings..

This guy is pretty much useless on a team looking to win a WS..

I hope their looking to a DeGrom or another starter..

Just eat the coins and trade Chatwood to a team that looking to tank, maybe they can move him in off season or flip him next year

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Damn ..
Bote Ball gets through might've been a good inning