Are bears fans overrating pace?

Porkchop

Liked Posts:
In the face of this entire forum I predicted Pace would be a fail and the Bears franchise would waste 5 years with this guy. I provided reasons. I have been proven right. Acknowledge that then fuck off. Regards

Guess you thought that Epstein was a waste of a president as well. Afterall, first three years they went 200-286.

Guess you're right. They weren't going to amount to anything under his watch....whoops.

Guess Les Snead is a waste of a GM, since his first 5 years were losing ones. Guess they're stuck in endless mediocrity...whoops.

Guess Howie Roseman was a waste of a GM. Squandered Andy Reid when he had him, Chip Kelly took over GM duties and he's back in the seat with that total hack Doug Pederson as head coach, no way they amount to...whoops.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Guess you thought that Epstein was a waste of a president as well. Afterall, first three years they went 200-286.

Guess you're right. They weren't going to amount to anything under his watch....whoops.

Guess Les Snead is a waste of a GM, since his first 5 years were losing ones. Guess they're stuck in endless mediocrity...whoops.

Guess Howie Roseman was a waste of a GM. Squandered Andy Reid when he had him, Chip Kelly took over GM duties and he's back in the seat with that total hack Doug Pederson as head coach, no way they amount to...whoops.
giphy.gif

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Much like ours have said Pace can draft unlike the others like Angelo and Emery. The game is changing to the point where drafting youth is worth more to teams then big named FA's who kill cap.
Was there a time when spending big on free agents was preferred over drafting young players?

Did Jerry Angelo and Phil Emery miss on every pick?

Has Ryan Pace hit on every pick?

I wanted to come in and say the OP is wrong, but posts like this are doing me a disservice.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Was there a time when spending big on free agents was preferred over drafting young players?

I wanted to come in and say the OP is wrong, but posts like this are doing me a disservice.

Emery had a few decent picks but just look back and look at those drafts. They were atrocious. Just go take a peek.

Viciousjay

Liked Posts:

Every GM misses out on players but who's actually nailed it in the draft in the past two decades? Sure Angelo nabbed peppers, thomas jones, moose, and drafted tillman, manning ,harris but he made some really bad choices as well. Emery was a complete **** up across the board.

JUSTWIN

BANNED
Liked Posts:
It’s all about the coach. If Nagy delivers then Pace is the man. Fox was not his choice. His drafts have been above average but not spectacular but again coaching makes a big difference.

Porkchop

Liked Posts:
Emery was the GM equivalent of Adam Dunn. He had a few homeruns, but a lot more strikeouts to cancel them out.

Angelo at first was absolutely great at drafting defense. Briggs, Peanut, Harris, Alex Brown, Tank, Vasher. However, as great as he was at drafting defense, he was equally horrendous at drafting offense.

Pace appears to be pretty good at drafting both. Perhaps not as amazing as Angelo was defensively, but certainly a lot better than Angelo was offensively.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Every GM misses out on players but who's actually nailed it in the draft in the past two decades? Sure Angelo nabbed peppers, thomas jones, moose, and drafted tillman, manning ,harris but he made some really bad choices as well. Emery was a complete **** up across the board.

Emery brought in aging lunatic veterans, drafted poorly, and hired trestman. It really was comically bad. People shouldn’t lump emery in with Angelo, it’s really not fair to Angelo.

Viciousjay

Liked Posts:
It’s all about the coach. If Nagy delivers then Pace is the man. Fox was not his choice. His drafts have been above average but not spectacular but again coaching makes a big difference.

Correct me if I'm wrong didn't the McCaskey's hire the old GM from the NYG as a consultant that pushed them to hire Fox before Pace was brought in?

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Emery had a few decent picks but just look back and look at those drafts. They were atrocious. Just go take a peek.
Looking now. The only two picks I hated then and still hate now is Shea McClellin and Jon Bostic. While other picks like Will Sutton, Jordan Mills and even Ego Ferguson may not have panned out...they were solid picks.

Kyle Fuller, Charles Leno and Kyle Long all got new money from a new GM. Ka'Deem Carey was a better RB than the Fox Regime ever gave him credit for. David Fales still on a NFL depth chart...which is about all you can ask out of a sixth round QB.

There were much larger problems with Phil Emery, but his drafting was better than atrocious.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Correct me if I'm wrong didn't the McCaskey's hire the old GM from the NYG as a consultant that pushed them to hire Fox before Pace was brought in?
You are wrong. Pace was hired before Fox was even out of Denver.

Porkchop

Liked Posts:
Emery brought in aging lunatic veterans, drafted poorly, and hired trestman. It really was comically bad. People shouldn’t lump emery in with Angelo, it’s really not fair to Angelo.

Depends on which Angelo. If we're referring to 1st half of tenure Angelo, then yeah, we shouldn't compare.

If we're referring to 2nd half of tenure, we damn well should. From 2007-11, Angelo was AWFUL in ALL aspects and I'd say he was even worse than Emery. Keep in mind, that we traded several picks, including multiple 1st rounders for Jay Cutler, with absolutely no help at receiver and an aging offensive line full of holes, essentially wasting the potential impact of nabbing Cutler. From 2009-11, the offensive talent around Cutler was mostly insufficient, and just when things started to turn around on that side, of course, the talent on defense begins to decline due to age. His horrific prioritization and terrible investment into Cutler without planning things through doomed the franchise for years to come.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Looking now. The only two picks I hated then and still hate now is Shea McClellin and Jon Bostic. While other picks like Will Sutton, Jordan Mills and even Ego Ferguson may not have panned out...they were solid picks.

Kyle Fuller, Charles Leno and Kyle Long all got new money from a new GM. Ka'Deem Carey was a better RB than the Fox Regime ever gave him credit for. David Fales still on a NFL depth chart...which is about all you can ask out of a sixth round QB.

There were much larger problems with Phil Emery, but his drafting was better than atrocious.

How can you look back at a guy that was shit player and consider it a ‘solid pick.’

Will Sutton and ego Ferguson were trash. Jon Bostic is playing for the colts on a depleted roster. Khaseem Greene isn’t even in the NFL anymore.

Shea mac was an epic failure. Brandin Hardin anyone???

No one is expected to hit on every player in the draft. No one. But just compare those picks to what Pace has gotten, especially out of these later rounds with guys like Eddie Jackson, Adrian Amos, Tarik Cohen, and Jordan Howard. Not to mention second round players Eddie Goldman and Cody whitehair in round two.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
How can you look back at a guy that was shit player and consider it a ‘solid pick.’

Will Sutton and ego Ferguson were trash. Jon Bostic is playing for the colts on a depleted roster. Khaseem Greene isn’t even in the NFL anymore.

No one is expected to hit on every player in the draft. No one. But just compare those picks to what Pace has gotten, especially out of these later rounds with guys like Eddie Jackson, Adrian Amos, Tarik Cohen, and Jordan Howard. Not to mention second round players Eddie Goldman and Cody whitehair in round two.

Solid picks as in solid picks at the time. We all know the draft is a crap shoot, but there was a time Will Sutton was considered the steal of the draft when Emery took him in the third round. Even Evan Rodriguez looked like a great prospect that never amounted to anything.

Enough time has passed that we can call some of these picks failures and there lies the problem with giving Ryan Pace too much credit. He has three drafts and only just enough time passed to really start judging his first draft....which does not look that great either.

Phil Emery was a failure as General Manager because he was too short-sighted, controlled the roster like he had ADD and completely bombed at replacing a very popular coach...not because he took a shot on Bradin Hardin in the middle rounds.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Actually... Bostic will be a starting ILB for the Steelers this year.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Actually... Bostic will be a starting ILB for the Steelers this year.

Bostic was traded to the Pats from the Bears for a 6th round pick. He was traded by the pats to the lions for a conditional 7th round pick. He was let go by the lions after an injury plagued season and was signed by the colts. Now he has signed with the Steelers.

Sorry it’s hard to keep it straight where he’s been.

staleystarch

Liked Posts:
There is no question Pace has been overrated locally based on his results so far. That said, there is no way of knowing at present whether is tenure past has been, present is, or future will be successful or not. I do think this coming season it is time for him to start showing some returns in the form of wins.