Are bears fans overrating pace?

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Correct me if I'm wrong didn't the McCaskey's hire the old GM from the NYG as a consultant that pushed them to hire Fox before Pace was brought in?

After Pace was brought aboard. Pace's standing orders were to hire our first vet coach. Pace had slim pickings.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bostic was traded to the Pats from the Bears for a 6th round pick. He was traded by the pats to the lions for a conditional 7th round pick. He was let go by the lions after an injury plagued season and was signed by the colts. Now he has signed with the Steelers.

Sorry it’s hard to keep it straight where he’s been.

Yeah, the only reason I know he's on the Steelers is because NFL radio has been going over team units and they were discussing the Steelers front 7. Pat Kirwan seems to think he's a decent option for them. Even Jim Miller thought he was a decent fit. I'm just glad he's not on the Bears anymore...

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
No GM in the entire history of the NFL has had a sub 30% winning percentage over his first 3 seasons and then proceeded to go on and win the supwerbowl in the rest of his entire tenure with said team. Literally never has happened. So what's more likely: Pace defies all odds and breaks history or that he's another GM in the carousel of the last 98 years?

I hope he can break tradition, but only time will tell.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No GM in the entire history of the NFL has had a sub 30% winning percentage over his first 3 seasons and then proceeded to go on and win the supwerbowl in the rest of his entire tenure with said team. Literally never has happened. So what's more likely: Pace defies all odds and breaks history or that he's another GM in the carousel of the last 98 years?

Link?

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:

So you're saying they have to play the games and win?

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Too date he has been less than average. He still has a chance to turn things around, a lot will depend on his 2017 draft class, and his 2018 FA signings.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is the year they have to show promise. Next year it’s playoffs or bust for Pace. He was saddled with Fox & Co. but took the job anyway so that is on him. Pretty straight forward. It isn’t a puzzle. Many thought it was a five year rebuild so give him 5 years.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

And a dozen teams have never won a SB under any circumstances. Correlation vs causation. George Young was under 30% after 2 years, had a 9 win season and then 3 wins the following full season in 83 before winning a SB in 86.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
The Bears havent reached the playoffs and until you do, they arent going to crown you.

I am a Pace fanboy and i think he really understands the draft. I feel this is the most important trait of a GM.

His free agent decisions have been bad and that has held the team back from the success he had in the draft.

If we keep adding talent in the draft like we have been, the Bears are going to be good.

He has been exceptional in the middle rounds, that is for sure, but his first rounders are a bit eh and he will always be remembered for what he gave up to make the mystery move for trubisky when he got played by a rookie in Lynch. Same thing happened with the bulls, move the face of your franchise and claim you got the next face in Laurie when you should have never had to give up the 16th pick to get back two injured players.

fatkid73

Liked Posts:
My take on Pace is still incomplete, but I like his approach. When he took over this team, it was a complete mess we all know that. It was an old roster filled with ageing vets with bloated contracts, and Jay Cutler. He could have done what previous GM's did which was try to keep the roster in tact bringing in overvalued FA's and maintaining 6-10 or 7-9 records for the foreseeable future, or do what he did which was blow it up and start over. This meant getting rid of some players that were beloved by fans. That doesn't always sit well with meatballs. Sure keeping Forte and Marshall could have meant 1-2 more wins a season, but it also means no Howard, no Cohen most likely.

While his FA signings have not been great, they have not hurt the long term development and growth of the roster. Each FA signing was made with a way to get out of the contract after 1-2 years without much damage. If he brought in 10 FA's with question marks and hit on 1-2 (Akiem Hicks, Prince Amukamaura) that is success. Lets be honest, did anyone here really think Glennon was the QB of the future for the Bears? Did he overpay for him...Of Course, but it was a one year flier. If Glennon surprised everyone, you let him play out the contract, if not, bye bye. The point is, typically FA's are FA's for a reason. Teams did not see value for what a player is asking. It is EXTREMELY rare to find an undervalued player in FA.

As far as the draft goes, I feel he has had some solid draft picks for the most part mixing team need and BPA. He has his share of hits with players like Howard, Cohen, Goldman, Whitehair, Jackson...etc. Kevin White has been the big glaring exception and to me, it is hard to blame Pace when it has been injury that has made him a bust thus far. You can make the argument that there were players at other positions of need on the board at that point in the draft and Pace created the hole at WR by sending Marshall packing and not resigning Jeffery. Those are fair arguments, but this was not going to be turned around overnight and I feel Pace saw White with more athleticism and upside potential than anyone available in that draft.

Overall, I feel this team is light years better than when he took over and pointed in the right direction. Would I have liked to have seen more wins along the way, sure, who wouldn't, but not at the expense of building a strong foundation and deep roster.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Children refusing to acknowledge my superiority.

All of them saying "you're not my dad".

Well, come to daddy, kids!!!!

No one has ever questioned your ability to keep full shafts down your throat while simultaneously tickling the balls with your tongue. In fact its quite impressive.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
No one has ever questioned your ability to keep full shafts down your throat while simultaneously tickling the balls with your tongue. In fact its quite impressive.
Mmmmmmmmmm.............not buying it

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Bears fans are idiots. Pace is severely under rated. People that think he's an idiot are, well, idiots.