Are the bulls an iconic franchise?

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
One of the reasons LeBron went to la is that the Lakers are an iconic franchise. What about the bulls? Are they no longer iconic?

AussieBear

bulls are/were a very successful fly-by-night franchise............................................. greatness will never return....

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
It could have been iconic but reinsdorf ruined all that. Between his blunders in alienating Jordan who to this day tells free agents not to sign with us to his fixation of keeping failures of executives around how the hell can you expect the bulls to be considered iconic

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It probably was at one point. Players used to want to play for the Bulls because we were the Chicago Bulls. But it's been so long since the Bulls have been dominant that I don't think that still holds true.

The Lakers (and Celtics) have consistently won throughout history. I think players feel more confident signing with a team that have consistently proven themselves.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Third most valuable NBA team. Often cited as the most recognized NBA logo worldwide. Nearly always the consensus #1 mascot. Attendance at the UC is #1/2 every season with little exception. Yes, the Bulls haven't been playoff powerhouses, but they actually do a decent job with brand management elsewhere.

So yes, of course, they are one of the most iconic franchises. No Jordan though, then who knows.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
Yes, it's iconic, but when it comes to being a destination for free agents current management matters. We're not attracting big fish because we're being lead by a couple of buffoons. Winning matters and no free agent worth a damn looks at the Bulls seriously currently.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Iconic in that we are known worldwide to the general population. Not iconic for players.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
Third most valuable NBA team. Often cited as the most recognized NBA logo worldwide. Nearly always the consensus #1 mascot. Attendance at the UC is #1/2 every season with little exception. Yes, the Bulls haven't been playoff powerhouses, but they actually do a decent job with brand management elsewhere.

So yes, of course, they are one of the most iconic franchises. No Jordan though, then who knows.

It’s insane to think about how much money Jordan has made for the franchise.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
It’s insane to think about how much money Jordan has made for the franchise.

...and the NBA, Gatorade, and Nike.

The 90s in Chicago would have been pathetic for sports fans without Jordan. I mean, what's next? Chris Chellios and Roenick, Sammy Sosa and Frank Thomas? Kevin Butler and James Big Cat Williams?

richb688

Liked Posts:
nope those days are long long long long long long long gone

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
If notoriety and past history equals iconic than yes. If present and future relevance factor in then no. The bulls were iconic and well known because they had their goat and one championships. Before that and since that, they’ve been ordinary at best. But yes, they do sell out and people remember the Jordan years and they’re a big market. I wouldn’t label them as iconic because to me, you need to have multiple runs as a great team. See lakers/Celtics. They’re up there though because there have been very few of those teams.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Much like the Bears, the Bulls' cultural relevance is tied to yesteryear success. Ultimately, they've been pretty bad since Jordan has retired, outside of the back-to-back 60 win teams that Thibs ran into the ground. I feel like they're in another stasis unless they're able to lock down a transcendent player.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I'd like OP to define iconic in their own words, because there seems to be a huge disconnect.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
To me they are. Everywhere you go you’ll see people rocking Bulls gear. Hell, when I went to Belize several years back, I saw people there rocking Bulls stuff.

kapooncha

Liked Posts:
To me they are. Everywhere you go you’ll see people rocking Bulls gear. Hell, when I went to Belize several years back, I saw people there rocking Bulls stuff.

I agree with this. When I travel abroad and I tell people I'm from Chicago, first thing they say is Michael Jordan.

richb688

Liked Posts:
They don't even have an idea where the bulls play or what sport lol