2018 Biggest Weakness

PeteFootball

Liked Posts:
I’m my opinion it will be the offensive line

In the past 3 years, we have struggled to stay healthy. A healthy Daniels, Whitehair, Long is the top interior in the league. Leno is average LT and Massie is as bad as you can get at RT

This will require quick plays (naggy’s on top of this) lots to 2 step drops.

This will not benefit players like millertime and AR15. Cohen will benefit. Trubisky will have a decent season

If we want Trubisky to be a Goff/Wentz/Leftwich kind of QB we need exterior OL help bad

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I admit I'm concerned about the offensive line, though not as concerned as I am about the pass-rush.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Haven't you heard, we have another O-line guru that brought his fairy dust with him.

I agree that O-line could be a sore spot if Long is not healthy. I am still hoping that they will get a camp cut as a stop gap, but if they had simply kept Sitton we would likely be concerned about depth and not the starters.

Massie is the weak link, so I hope that they have a plan to give him some competition.

As far a outside pass rusher goes, I'm not sure we will have ANY if Floyd is slow to recover or get hurt. All we can hope for is that Iggy can have an Anderson type rookie year.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:

In the past 3 years, we have struggled to stay healthy. A healthy Daniels, Whitehair, Long is the top interior in the league. Leno is average LT and Massie is as bad as you can get at RT

This will not benefit players like millertime and AR15. Cohen will benefit. Trubisky will have a decent season

If we want Trubisky to be a Goff/Wentz/Leftwich kind of QB we need exterior OL help bad

Not true.

Tostada

Liked Posts:
Our biggest weakness ... Not enough cowbell, and OLB.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
I keep hearing Massie is bad. But yet he starts everywhere he goes. Blows big holes for the RB too. Our Oline is a team strength. We have 5 better then average starters with 2 or 3 good backups. We have one pass rushing LB that has to cover because our LBs kinda blow chunks. OLB is our only weak spot.

Porkchop

Liked Posts:
Leno was above average as a LT, even if just slightly above. And Massie was far from as bad as you can get. You can get MUCH worse.

It's not an All-Pro tandem, but it's sufficient for now, and Leno continues to improve year by year, which is encouraging.

OL isn't a weakness to me. What is a weakness would be DL depth overall and the starting DE spot opposite Hicks. Right now, we're banking on RRH or Bullard to take that next step and be a solid starter, which could happen, but it's far from a safe bet. Then there's also the OLB spot opposite Floyd. I think the OLB depth will be solid, but we're kind of going out on a limb that Lynch will reignite his good years under Fangio. Granted I think the new coaching staff in SF screwed up his development big time, but that's just one more hurdle to overcome.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
So at both guard positions we have either two guys coming off injury or a rookie, and anyone thinks we are ok at Oline?

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Until proven otherwise, kicker is a weakness.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
So at both guard positions we have either two guys coming off injury or a rookie, and anyone thinks we are ok at Oline?
Well, this is NFL football, what team doesn't have a few starters coming back from an injury?

Kush is a long way away from his injury. Long is a question mark for sure, but if he's healthy, he's one of the best guards in the league. Our rookie is a 2nd rounder, circa 2018, with excellent credentials. On top of those three, we have Whitehair, Jordan Morgan, Earl Watford, Pericak, Sowell and Coward. It's not concern free, but it's addressed.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
The line was mediocre last year, but I am going to continue to contribute that to the awfully predictable play calling week after week.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The Bears will live or die by their pass rush this season. Need NardFlo/Hicks/Goldman to step up. Also need some young guys to break through. Maybe RRH?

I think our Interior OL will be much more solid then people think. Between Daniels, Whitehair, Long and Kush, they should be fine. I'd be more concerned if Leno or Massie went down. Who the hell are our backup Tackles anyway?

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:

Oline is far from the biggest weakness. Oline depth is a concern.

DE/pass rush is their biggest concern. To be an aggressive defense and create turnovers we need a dominant pass rush. I fully expect Prince to take a step back this year and that only will be compounded by the lack of pass rush.

Goff/Wentz/Leftwich ???????

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Honestly, I think our biggest weaknesses are youth and a new O scheme. New position coaches have their own ways of teaching as well so OL, WR etc will have new tweaks to assimilate etc. Fortunately, we have an extra preseason game this year and that should help us get coordinated. I hope to see this O grow as the season progresses and some D players step up this year. Fangio will find a mix to add pressure with the bodies he now has.

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
As bad as you can get at RT? J'Marcus Webb would like to have a word with you.

PeteFootball

Liked Posts:
Oline is far from the biggest weakness. Oline depth is a concern.

DE/pass rush is their biggest concern. To be an aggressive defense and create turnovers we need a dominant pass rush. I fully expect Prince to take a step back this year and that only will be compounded by the lack of pass rush.

Goff/Wentz/Leftwich ???????

IMO leftwich is one of the most underrated QBs of our time

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
The Bears will live or die by their pass rush this season. Need NardFlo/Hicks/Goldman to step up. Also need some young guys to break through. Maybe RRH?

I think our Interior OL will be much more solid then people think. Between Daniels, Whitehair, Long and Kush, they should be fine. I'd be more concerned if Leno or Massie went down. Who the hell are our backup Tackles anyway?

Kind of excited to see whether RRH has improved and can take that next step to anchor the D-Line with Hicks and Goldman. I would also love to see Bullard step up. I still think that first step quickness he possesses can be a huge asset for him.

I am curious to see how Bilal does as a rookie. I doubt he'll make a huge impact, but seems like he's working hard and it'd be cool to have a few more players that can rotate through with the starters on the D-Line.

Nice little video of Bilal working on pass rush moves and hand moves with weights on sand.