2018 Biggest Weakness

peanut33tillman

Liked Posts:
Massie is not “as bad as it gets” at RT This is such a stupid take. Massie is fine and does a solid enough job. Leno is a touch underrated by most Bears fans as well. The interior of the OL obviously is strong and I think the tackles are definitely at worst serviceable. Hiestand likely should only help this unit as well.

Now with all that said, with Massie entering a contract year OT could be where they look in next years draft early if not edge.

Dagman310

Liked Posts:
Damn, I don't think Massie is that bad. The thing I love about Leno is that I don't think about him often. That means he is doing his job and doing it well. Same way with Massie to a certain extent. They are good enough that you don't have to worry about them as a liability like previous years (J. Webb).

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Massie is not “as bad as it gets” at RT This is such a stupid take. Massie is fine and does a solid enough job. Leno is a touch underrated by most Bears fans as well. The interior of the OL obviously is strong and I think the tackles are definitely at worst serviceable. Hiestand likely should only help this unit as well.

Now with all that said, with Massie entering a contract year OT could be where they look in next years draft early if not edge.

That statement is underrated. :) Seems a majority of Bears fans (due to media as well) still see Leno as shitty because he took a while to improve after a less than great start in the league (5th Rd pick IIRC?). Leno's now upper third in the league per several sources I've seen on here. Some even had him at top 10, though measures vary - like Amos being the best safety or whatever.

I'm cool with simply being "good" or above average, so long as there are "great" players coming of age in other positions. Can't have Pro-bowlers at every position, nor could you afford it if so.

Notoriety lags and only comes with a winning team as seen by the stupid players-vote ESPN Top 100, and even the Pro-Bowl leaving out several Bears who statistically dominated other inductees at their positions last year. Hicks, Fuller, Amos, Howard to name a few.

Joliet Jake

Liked Posts:
Not worried about the OL. Not having the Fox / Loggains pathetically predictable play calling will make a huge difference, as will having some actual NFL-caliber targets able to get separation. The pass rush still scares the shit out of me, tho. Maybe someone will step up, hoping.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
As much as I fear our need for talent at OLB, I think that objectively our biggest weakness is at QB. I love that we have our QB of the future and I think he will grow into a fantastic pro (hell, I bought a #10 jersey), but for the next season I have more question marks for him than I do for OLB or OL. Trubisky's development is going to be more determinative of the game's outcome than the progress of our LBs.

Can Mitch lead a pass heavy attack? Can he command a complex offense? Can he read exotic defenses and audible at the line to counter them? Can he juggle several receiving options? Can he overcome competing egos and lead a team? If I weigh that against the questions I have for any other position group... Well, my anxiety for Trubisky is much higher than any defender coached by Fangio; we saw a lot of guys overachieve under Fangio because he knows what the hell he is doing.

I think Trubisky has the athletic traits to be a great one, but he has a lot of development to go, and he needs to show it on the field. We put so many pieces in place for him to make a big leap in production, but I want to see him actually take that step before I stop worrying about his inexperience relative to his peers.