2018 Hug watch thread..

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Rumors of interest in Granderson or Jones for veteran presence..

They could just as easily bring up Chris Coughlan to be that guy too

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

This crew won a WS. Do they really need a vet presence?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
This crew won a WS. Do they really need a vet presence?
that what the word was as to why they were looking into Granderson and Jones..

I think maybe if that the case, their looking at it as another veteran voice to help keep the young core grounded a bit, guys like Baez and Contreras tend to wander into their own world sometimes..lol

They may have won a WS but the core is still young and young soles can always use an old wise man to lean on during tough times...

CSF77

Liked Posts:
that what the word was as to why they were looking into Granderson and Jones..

I think maybe if that the case, their looking at it as another veteran voice to help keep the young core grounded a bit, guys like Baez and Contreras tend to wander into their own world sometimes..lol

They may have won a WS but the core is still young and young soles can always use an old wise man to lean on during tough times...

Over pay Ross to be the enforcer again...ahem bench coach

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Over pay Ross to be the enforcer again...ahem bench coach
I think if Ross wanted back into the dugout, he would be there by now...

Anyways were talking about for the rest of this season , too late to sign Ross as a coach

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Rumors of interest in Granderson or Jones for veteran presence..

They could just as easily bring up Chris Coughlan to be that guy too

Pretty sure that was the point in signing Cogs. Think the only reason there's been any talk of Granderson/Jones is Cogs hasn't been great since he left the cubs and who knows what he'll be. However, if he starts figuring stuff out in AAA and the cubs decide to move on from someone like happ for w/e then he makes sense as a bench piece.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Pretty sure that was the point in signing Cogs. Think the only reason there's been any talk of Granderson/Jones is Cogs hasn't been great since he left the cubs and who knows what he'll be. However, if he starts figuring stuff out in AAA and the cubs decide to move on from someone like happ for w/e then he makes sense as a bench piece.
That what i was thinking

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I think if Ross wanted back into the dugout, he would be there by now...

Anyways were talking about for the rest of this season , too late to sign Ross as a coach

He is a special assistant as it is. He also is doing ESPN and family stuff. Being on the team every day is a commitment above part time

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I could see them adding another lefty to pen..

Duensing not exactly reliable this year
Wilson not exactly reliable
Rosario is still questionable
Monty

https://twitter.com/BleacherNation/status/1018559900073496576?s=19

Britton has not pitched at the same velocity as before. And 12 mil it is questionable.

I’m more into getting Hand honestly.

18:$3.5M, 19:$6.5M, 20:$7M, 21:$10M club option ($1M buyout) More realistic contract to go forward with. Basically buying 3 years so you would give up quality in return. I would trade Happ and Bote for him strait.

That said I really see the focus being a starter. They are not going into the 2nd half status que

chibears55

Liked Posts:
He is a special assistant as it is. He also is doing ESPN and family stuff. Being on the team every day is a commitment above part time
I know..
You were the one suggesting Ross

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Britton has not pitched at the same velocity as before. And 12 mil it is questionable.

I’m more into getting Hand honestly.

18:$3.5M, 19:$6.5M, 20:$7M, 21:$10M club option ($1M buyout) More realistic contract to go forward with. Basically buying 3 years so you would give up quality in return. I would trade Happ and Bote for him strait.

That said I really see the focus being a starter. They are not going into the 2nd half status que
The thing is, unless they are looking to get a SP like DeGrom, i just dont see them trading away any of their core roster players..
Why a guy like Britton could be had for low prospects ..
He a FA after this year and is owed around 6 mil or less for rest of season .

Since his return from injury, he pitched in 14 games and only had 2 bad outings..

13Ks 13.2 IP

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I really don’t think that they need to aim that high. That is why I have been aiming at SD.

Ross is being paid 1 mil and is gone. No long term.

Hand comes with control and replaces Wilson as the main lefty next year.

So what that does is gives a 8-9 that shuts down teams and a 1-4 that you can relax with.

Now as far as talent given up those 2 together? Bote and Happ are plug and play on that team.

Now you and Beck have talked Cog’s upwelling. Cogs also played 3B so there is that also. IMO I wouldn’t though. I would rather bring up Zag as he has a RH bat and can get some AB’s in LF and PH as needed. Cubs have Heyward to back up CF.

Now on trade value: Hand and Ross outweigh Happ and Bote. I would guess with out looking it is 3 WAR value for 1 WAR. Control might add a WAR of value on the Cubs side. They would have to add Mills or Underwood to balance. It would let SD move forward with cheaper players with control.

Cubs don’t have a heavy weigh chip right now and Happ holds the most value and is expendable

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Heard the Phillies got Machado..
To be announced Wednesday morning

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Philly is the least annoying place for him to go IMO. Atlanta has a better run diff than them(they are 50 runs up). So, philly isn't really a huge threat already that's adding a great player. I suppose you could argue you'd rather have him in the AL but I really don't think this matters for Philly in the playoffs. They are 11th in runs scored and 7th in runs against in the NL. They don't have a particularly dominant bullpen either with a 4.08 ERA for the team.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I'd rather see him in Philly rather than Atl, or Mil. Be interested in seeing the return. Have to think it would be good, but not something that will blow the roof off.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Agree outside of staying in AL, rather it be philly then Mil or LA

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The Orioles are getting “very close” to reaching an agreement on a Manny Machado trade, reports Roch Kubatko of MASNsports.com (via Twitter). However, despite a report of a “handshake agreement” between the Orioles and Phillies by Barstool Sports, Kubatko adds that there’s no deal between the two teams in place. To the contrary, Kubatko notes that both the Brewers and the Dodgers remain involved in the Machado market. Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com agrees, tweeting that “numerous” sources tell her that rumors regarding an agreement with the Phillies are “untrue.”