2018 Hug watch thread..

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Honestly that is what this is all about. He is expiring. Not a long term thing and more so innings absorb vs being stuck with your pants down if Yu clunks.

Next year I'm not concerned. Smyly removed and Yu fresh. Rotation could turn out one of the league best with Lester, Yu, Q, Hendricks, Smyly. Talented for sure.

This year has been a injury year. That is the thing. Had Alozay at AAA. He stays healthy he might have been riding this injury wave in the majors. Then Yu. Unfortunately the bug hit at the same time for both.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Looks like the As are gonna get him after the mets game ends

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Have to see the cost but it seems that any deal of value takes a top 100 to pull. Cubs lack that impact right now. Amaya is close but I really don’t see them wasting a potential bullet before it is ripe

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Have to see the cost but it seems that any deal of value takes a top 100 to pull. Cubs lack that impact right now. Amaya is close but I really don’t see them wasting a potential bullet before it is ripe
Yea..
I keep hoping the cubs can get an impact pitcher but i know or at least i feel, their not going to because their prospects aren't highly ranked and i just dont feel like their going to move any of their major league hitters..

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Is there any real possibility we could get deGrom? He would be nice. And we all know we need more SP. our dudes hve been inconsistent as hell and no guarantee Darvish will be good if/when he comes back.

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
Is there any real possibility we could get deGrom? He would be nice. And we all know we need more SP. our dudes hve been inconsistent as hell and no guarantee Darvish will be good if/when he comes back.

IF DeGrom is available, he'll cost more than some of these rentals who go FA at the end of the season. DeGrom has, what, another two years control on his current deal? Through the end of the 2020 season? That will cost either several top 100 minor league prospects (of which the Cubs currently have none), or at least a couple of good players from our major league roster.

If the Cubs are willing to trade Happ and Russell, plus a couple of our best minor league arms, we *might* be able to outbid other teams, like Milwaukee or Atlanta, who are trying to get him. If we limit ourselves to just trading our of our minor league system, I don't think we can outbid any of the other clubs who are trying to sign the guy.

Hard to say what Theo and Jed are willing to do, but they sure have been talking about small, incremental upgrades, not selling a couple of starting position players off for a pitcher who has had an even worse health history than Darvish.

If we could get DeGrom for minor league prospects, I'd go for it. But I wouldn't start taking apart the starting club for him.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Deal for Britton getting close for the Cubs ..
Trying to outbid a couple teams for him, may get done in Sunday

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

I would think it would be something like the Familia trade. 2 prospects, 1 in the 15-20 range

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
IF DeGrom is available, he'll cost more than some of these rentals who go FA at the end of the season. DeGrom has, what, another two years control on his current deal? Through the end of the 2020 season? That will cost either several top 100 minor league prospects (of which the Cubs currently have none), or at least a couple of good players from our major league roster.

If the Cubs are willing to trade Happ and Russell, plus a couple of our best minor league arms, we *might* be able to outbid other teams, like Milwaukee or Atlanta, who are trying to get him. If we limit ourselves to just trading our of our minor league system, I don't think we can outbid any of the other clubs who are trying to sign the guy.

Hard to say what Theo and Jed are willing to do, but they sure have been talking about small, incremental upgrades, not selling a couple of starting position players off for a pitcher who has had an even worse health history than Darvish.

If we could get DeGrom for minor league prospects, I'd go for it. But I wouldn't start taking apart the starting club for him.
That makes sense.

I know our farm is blah now, but that's because it's all the core of the team now. And I kinda agree about not trading from the Major League roster. Wish we had other options to get top notch starters. Darvish has been a bust so far. Literally.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

8:44pm: It’s “at least” a six-team race for Britton, Jon Heyman of Fancred tweets.

8:14pm: The Orioles are seeking a return equal to or better than the one the Royals received for reliever Kelvin Herrera in a trade last month, Buster Olney of ESPN reports. Washington acquired Herrera for three prospects, though none ranked among the Nationals’ absolute best farmhands at the time.

7:39pm: Both the Cubs and the Astros “are trying to match up prospects with the Orioles,” Jerry Crasnick of ESPN tweets. The Dodgers are also among those who would like to acquire Britton, Dan Connolly of The Athletic reports, though Rosenthal notes that it may be difficult because of LA’s desire to stay under the luxury-tax threshold. No matter where Britton goes, the O’s hope to make a deal happen within the next few days, Crasnick adds.

6:38pm: With Brad Hand and Jeurys Familia now off the market, Orioles left-hander Zach Britton may be the best soon-to-be traded reliever in baseball. The 30-year-old has drawn widespread interest in recent weeks, too, with Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reporting “virtually every top contender” is in on him (video link). The NL Central-leading Cubs are among that group, and they “remain deeply involved” in the Britton discussions, sources tell Patrick Mooney of The Athletic (subscription required).

In at least the near term, Britton would likely serve as a replacement for Cubs closer Brandon Morrow, who went on the disabled list this week on account of right biceps inflammation. Britton has also endured injuries, most recently a ruptured Achilles that shelved him from the start of the season until mid-June. The two-time All-Star got off to a less-than-dominant start in his first action of the season as he returned from that injury, though he has been better of late as the deadline approaches.

Not only has Britton gone eight straight appearances (eight innings) without yielding an earned run, but he has seen his velocity climb closer to its past levels in the process. Of course, Britton has also walked a batter in three straight outings and has issued an unpalatable 10 free passes against 13 strikeouts in 15 2/3 innings this year. To Britton’s credit, though, he has posted a 3.45 ERA and a terrific groundball rate (64.1 percent).

While the Cubs are high on Britton, Mooney wonders if they have a good enough farm system to win a bidding war for the pending free agent. Chicago has Baseball America’s 28th-ranked prospect pool, which seemingly places it behind the 8-ball, and Rosenthal notes Britton is likely to yield a “strong” return with so many championship hopefuls chasing him.

Given the competition for his services, Britton to the Cubs may be a long shot. However, if acquired, Britton would further strengthen a bullpen that ranks fifth in the majors in ERA and just added ex-Ranger Jesse Chavez via trade this week.

The Cubs’ relief corps has received great results from Morrow, Steve Cishek, Pedro Strop, Justin Wilson, Carl Edwards Jr., the unit’s top five innings leaders. Although, only one of those hurlers (Wilson) is a lefty, and fellow southpaws Brian Duensing and Randy Rosario are difficult to trust. Duensing has endured a brutal year, having logged a 7.31 ERA with more walks (23) than strikeouts (18) across 28 1/3 innings. Rosario, on the other hand, has done well preventing runs over 27 2/3 innings (1.95 ERA), but with 5.2 K/9, 4.23 BB/9, a sky-high 94.2 percent strand rate and a .238 batting average on balls in play against, he’s an obvious regression candidate. It’s likely Britton would be an upgrade over those two, and if his track record is any indication, he’d join Wilson in giving the Cubs a second formidable lefty reliever.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
8:44pm: It’s “at least” a six-team race for Britton, Jon Heyman of Fancred tweets.

8:14pm: The Orioles are seeking a return equal to or better than the one the Royals received for reliever Kelvin Herrera in a trade last month, Buster Olney of ESPN reports. Washington acquired Herrera for three prospects, though none ranked among the Nationals’ absolute best farmhands at the time.

7:39pm: Both the Cubs and the Astros “are trying to match up prospects with the Orioles,” Jerry Crasnick of ESPN tweets. The Dodgers are also among those who would like to acquire Britton, Dan Connolly of The Athletic reports, though Rosenthal notes that it may be difficult because of LA’s desire to stay under the luxury-tax threshold. No matter where Britton goes, the O’s hope to make a deal happen within the next few days, Crasnick adds.

6:38pm: With Brad Hand and Jeurys Familia now off the market, Orioles left-hander Zach Britton may be the best soon-to-be traded reliever in baseball. The 30-year-old has drawn widespread interest in recent weeks, too, with Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reporting “virtually every top contender” is in on him (video link). The NL Central-leading Cubs are among that group, and they “remain deeply involved” in the Britton discussions, sources tell Patrick Mooney of The Athletic (subscription required).

In at least the near term, Britton would likely serve as a replacement for Cubs closer Brandon Morrow, who went on the disabled list this week on account of right biceps inflammation. Britton has also endured injuries, most recently a ruptured Achilles that shelved him from the start of the season until mid-June. The two-time All-Star got off to a less-than-dominant start in his first action of the season as he returned from that injury, though he has been better of late as the deadline approaches.

Not only has Britton gone eight straight appearances (eight innings) without yielding an earned run, but he has seen his velocity climb closer to its past levels in the process. Of course, Britton has also walked a batter in three straight outings and has issued an unpalatable 10 free passes against 13 strikeouts in 15 2/3 innings this year. To Britton’s credit, though, he has posted a 3.45 ERA and a terrific groundball rate (64.1 percent).

While the Cubs are high on Britton, Mooney wonders if they have a good enough farm system to win a bidding war for the pending free agent. Chicago has Baseball America’s 28th-ranked prospect pool, which seemingly places it behind the 8-ball, and Rosenthal notes Britton is likely to yield a “strong” return with so many championship hopefuls chasing him.

Given the competition for his services, Britton to the Cubs may be a long shot. However, if acquired, Britton would further strengthen a bullpen that ranks fifth in the majors in ERA and just added ex-Ranger Jesse Chavez via trade this week.

The Cubs’ relief corps has received great results from Morrow, Steve Cishek, Pedro Strop, Justin Wilson, Carl Edwards Jr., the unit’s top five innings leaders. Although, only one of those hurlers (Wilson) is a lefty, and fellow southpaws Brian Duensing and Randy Rosario are difficult to trust. Duensing has endured a brutal year, having logged a 7.31 ERA with more walks (23) than strikeouts (18) across 28 1/3 innings. Rosario, on the other hand, has done well preventing runs over 27 2/3 innings (1.95 ERA), but with 5.2 K/9, 4.23 BB/9, a sky-high 94.2 percent strand rate and a .238 batting average on balls in play against, he’s an obvious regression candidate. It’s likely Britton would be an upgrade over those two, and if his track record is any indication, he’d join Wilson in giving the Cubs a second formidable lefty reliever.
Britton would be the guy they need right now..
Protects them if Morrow gets hurt again and gives them a solid LH arm as a set up guy with Edwards

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Earlier it was Holland....gotta have that guy. Morrow is no closer. Any more shit to throw there? Why don't they gut the team for Degrom? I mean some dumbass on Twitter had to have bounced that idea around. Yep, you want the inside scoop....Twitter is the place to go.

I love panic stricken fandom.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
“Pitching is our main need” heading into the trade deadline, Theo Epstein told 670 The Score’s Bruce Levine and other reporters. The Cubs were known to be looking for bullpen help even before Brandon Morrow hit the DL with biceps inflammation, and since Morrow’s injury isn’t expected to keep him out for long, Epstein said that the closer’s absence didn’t impact the team’s deadline plans. Yu Darvish‘s return from the DL theoretically helps a rotation that has been inconsistent, though Epstein gave a realistic view of what Darvish could contribute, given the right-hander’s own struggles this season. “You can’t be overly reliant on someone who hasn’t been able to go out there and perform this year….if you put yourself in a position where you are overly reliant and defending on it at this point, it is on you then,” Epstein said.
Beyond pitching, Epstein also noted that “we will probably look in August for someone who can play defense or steal a bag.” He predicted multiple moves prior to September 1, and felt the team would make one more trade prior to the July 31 deadline. Though the president of baseball operations doesn’t “think it’s impossible” that the Cubs make a big-ticket transactions, smaller deals seem more likely, as Epstein felt “we are going to be a little more selective and opportunistic” with their options after dealing top prospects in other trades in recent years. For instance, the Athletic’s Patrick Mooney writes that it seems “highly unlikely” that the Cubs would move catching prospect Miguel Amaya for a rental player like Baltimore’s Zach Britton.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
“Pitching is our main need” heading into the trade deadline, Theo Epstein told 670 The Score’s Bruce Levine and other reporters. The Cubs were known to be looking for bullpen help even before Brandon Morrow hit the DL with biceps inflammation, and since Morrow’s injury isn’t expected to keep him out for long, Epstein said that the closer’s absence didn’t impact the team’s deadline plans. Yu Darvish‘s return from the DL theoretically helps a rotation that has been inconsistent, though Epstein gave a realistic view of what Darvish could contribute, given the right-hander’s own struggles this season. “You can’t be overly reliant on someone who hasn’t been able to go out there and perform this year….if you put yourself in a position where you are overly reliant and defending on it at this point, it is on you then,” Epstein said.
Beyond pitching, Epstein also noted that “we will probably look in August for someone who can play defense or steal a bag.” He predicted multiple moves prior to September 1, and felt the team would make one more trade prior to the July 31 deadline. Though the president of baseball operations doesn’t “think it’s impossible” that the Cubs make a big-ticket transactions, smaller deals seem more likely, as Epstein felt “we are going to be a little more selective and opportunistic” with their options after dealing top prospects in other trades in recent years. For instance, the Athletic’s Patrick Mooney writes that it seems “highly unlikely” that the Cubs would move catching prospect Miguel Amaya for a rental player like Baltimore’s Zach Britton.
Youd think that if their looking to add a SP they would want to get that deal done in the next couple days so they could get him before the weekend ( when the rotation flips over again)and to get his next start with them and not his current team..

If Britton their reliever of choice that might not get done til deadline day if there are multiple teams in on him..
Orioles gonna want the best deal out there and will wait til last day to pull that trigger..
Hope the cubs has a quick plan B just in case they dont get him..

Amaya would be in a deal to get someone like DeGrom, if they moved him...

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Supposedly the Yanks are shopping Sonny Gray. I mentioned it before but I still feel like a change of scenery trade for Chatwood/Gray might make some sense. I'm not even as down on Chatwood as most here but clearly something is wrong with him walk wise and the cubs haven't been able to fix it.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Supposedly the Yanks are shopping Sonny Gray. I mentioned it before but I still feel like a change of scenery trade for Chatwood/Gray might make some sense. I'm not even as down on Chatwood as most here but clearly something is wrong with him walk wise and the cubs haven't been able to fix it.

I’ve felt that he has to go back over the top again and smooth his delivery. He is 3/4 and jerking around.

Too many moving parts.

They tried to make him go stretch to simplify it but it is not working.

Now Grey? IDK enough on him honestly.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Youd think that if their looking to add a SP they would want to get that deal done in the next couple days so they could get him before the weekend ( when the rotation flips over again)and to get his next start with them and not his current team..

If Britton their reliever of choice that might not get done til deadline day if there are multiple teams in on him..
Orioles gonna want the best deal out there and will wait til last day to pull that trigger..
Hope the cubs has a quick plan B just in case they dont get him..

Amaya would be in a deal to get someone like DeGrom, if they moved him...

I took what Theo said and Mooney’s view point as Theo is not going to cast his best chip on Britton.

I believe that it was speculated that a 3 player return of mid tier quality gets it done though.

Cubs have plenty of that type that they can toss out.

Britton is a hot name but if you look at his raw. 10 BB in 15 IP. That is about the same thing we are getting out of Wilson and we lose both.

So in view of that what is his value. That is what I believe Theo is looking at and not getting caught up into the tidal wave.