3 things Bears coaches should be worrying about this summer

Sammich

Liked Posts:
Offensive line cohesion

The Bears’ offensive line hasn’t been able to perform up to its full potential over the last few seasons because of how many changes the team made up front, most often do to injury.

With James Daniels in to replace Josh Sitton, Chicago has its five starters more-or-less figured out. But even there, Daniels is practicing at both guard and center with some chance to push Cody Whitehair to the left side.

The Bears need to get their starting five in place as soon as possible so all five players can get used to playing next to each other and build that valuable chemistry for the season.

The longer an offensive line plays together in the same positions, the better their communication and cohesion becomes.

To give Mitchell Trubisky the best pass protection and Jordan Howard the best run blocking, Daniels and Whitehair need lock into positions and bring the whole offensive line together.

Pass rushing

Vic Fangio is lacking proven pass rushers heading into training camp.

Right now, Sam Acho and Leonard Floyd sit as the team’s two top outside linebackers, with Aaron Lynch set to contribute in a significant role — if he can stay healthy.

Last season, Acho and Floyd held down the spots for the most part while Pernell McPhee and Willie Young were sidelined with injuries. Akiem Hicks had to provide the primary pass rush to keep the defense functioning.

The Bears need Floyd to take the next step and become a more consistent rusher now entering his third season.

Lynch also needs to get back to the level of production he showed in the first two years of his career working with Fangio.

If not, this defense could struggle to get after the quarterback and make things that much more difficult for the secondary to hold up in coverage.

Mitchell Trubisky’s chemistry with his receivers

The overhaul of the Bears’ receiving corps was much needed, but the number of moving parts can make it difficult for a young quarterback to get on the same page with his new weapons.

Trubisky’s top three wide receivers are all new to the team and the offense, and he’s still getting used to his new pass-catching tight end too.

It takes a lot of repetitions for a quarterback to nail down the timing with his receivers when it comes to more complicated routes and the nuance of some plays.

Often times, the timing of his steps on his dropback is supposed to correspond with the breaks on the routes of the receiver, and it takes a lot of time to sync them up.

Trubisky has to learn how long it takes Allen Robinson to get to the sideline on “out” routes so he knows how early to release the ball.

He needs to know how quickly Trey Burton turns around on his “curl” routes to get the ball out as quick as possible.

And it’s going to take a bit of practice to get used to Taylor Gabriel’s speed on the deep ball to make sure Trubisky doesn’t under- or over-throw him.

Other than the running backs, the young quarterback doesn’t have a familiar weapon that he can call on in a pinch, so it’s critical that he spends as much time as possible with his new receivers.

-Lorin Cox - Bears Wire

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
To counter. While these are all appropriate concerns, I don't find them to be all that worrisome. Other than health, the OL will have one new player to assimilate and this is another reason why Whitehair should stay at C right now. I suspect Daniels will start because he's driven and smart but he may even sit the opener. The bigger issue is that the blocking schemes and protections are all new but with more rollouts and RPOs, Mitch should be fine. Same with the backs and zone blocking which is nothing new. One cut Jordan should be fine in zone and the D not knowing whether it's pass or run on 1st down for a change should more than offset any inside run coordination disadvantage compare to last year.

Fangio will find a way to pressure the QB. Even though we were lowish on sacks, we weren't on pressure. Vic will send them from anywhere and here Smith may become a weapon. Someone will emerge opposite Floyd and a little more pressure up the middle and.or the other side will make Floyd that much more significant when he's asked to rush. I think Floyd gets too little credit for the pressure he creates considering how often he's in coverage.

Mitch's Chemistry with his WR is always a consideration but this O will have WRs change their pace a bit to fit routes so the timing should be OK early. They've already modified Miller because he was getting to spots early. That plus Mitch's accuracy should help early and only get better at hitting guys in stride over time. If it's one on one pitch and catch, they'll figure that out early. This will be more about Mitch's knowledge curve and actually being as accurate as advertised.

My biggest concern is lapses in reads and routes from WRs due to the new O. I usually don't care that much about preseason but I'm very happy we have an extra game this year and will watch intently. It's also nice that our last game is against the Chiefs. Will be good for friendly coaches to set up scenarios and get a better look at the end of their rosters.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
The OL is the least of my concerns that you have mentioned. Can we have better personnel overall? Sure. We have a solid starting 5 and one backup that could easily start on many teams. Pass rush is my biggest concern, but like Bearly mentioned we got pressure last year, just not the sack number. Sometimes pressure is just as good causing mistakes from the QB making bad throws. Chemistry is a concern with any QB and new receivers. I don't anticipate any issues.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
pass rushing is the number 1 issue to me. They got lucky years ago finding Mark Anderson, you never know if Fitts could be that guy.

Irving RRH and Bullard along with a more mobile Inner LB'er core with Smith and Iggie MIGHT possibly make this LINE and front seven way more dynamic then we thought it could be. . . AND give Fangio even more versatility and chess pieces to disguise, confuse and Take that NEXT STEP to TOP FIVE !!

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Overall, I feel our weaponry on Offense will be consistently way more Confusing to opposing D's than confused or befuddled by lack of time in their system. I am extremely READY to board that jet and Come to training camp this year !! July 26th-29th

GO FRIGGIN BEARs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
Most concerned about pass rusher, injuries, and how quickly the O can learn a new playbook and execute.

O-Line is one of the few units I'm okay with, as long as there aren't too many injuries. I'm also expecting some hiccups along the way between the WR and QB but that should be hashed out as the season progresses. I think the chemistry can be developed quicker too if the whole offense can learn the playbook faster.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Overall, I feel our weaponry on Offense will be consistently way more Confusing to opposing D's than confused or befuddled by lack of time in their system. I am extremely READY to board that jet and Come to training camp this year !! July 26th-29th

GO FRIGGIN BEARs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

You do realize the defenses can disguise and trick Trubisky as well, right? matter of fact, I am almost certain that is how they will counter, making Mitch's understanding and ability to make a quick read/adjustment the defining factor in his success or failure. This is to be expected, and their will be growing pains. Nothing wrong with that. The real test won't come in the pre-season, when facing vanilla defense's, it won't start until the regular season.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Fangio will find a way to pressure the QB. Even though we were lowish on sacks, we weren't on pressure. Vick will send them from anywhere and here Smith may become a weapon. Someone will emerge opposite Floyd and a little more pressure up the middle and.or the other side will make Floyd that much more significant when he's asked to rush. I think Floyd gets too little credit for the pressure he creates considering how often he's in coverage.

It's actually the exact opposite of this. The Bears were tied for 7th in the league with sacks last year. The Bears had more sacks than the eagles, seahawks, vikings, and the broncos.... The fan's perception of the Bears having few sacks is actually because they weren't as good at getting pressure.

I have seen some stats suggesting Floyd was excellent at creating pressure last year, here is a link to that.
https://247sports.com/nfl/chicago-b...NFLs-best-in-pressure-rate-in-2017-114893343/

I am having a hard time finding any statistics to see where the Bears or other players actually ranked in overall pressures. Maybe someone with PFF or the likes could help me out here.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm interested to see how the pass rush develops.

There's some interesting stuff on Iyiegbuniwe in his Meet the Rookies feature. I guess ILB wasn't his original position. He was supposed to play outside but they had a need at ILB. So in addition to what Trevathan and Kwiat did last year, Smith and Iyiegbuniwe have something to contribute to the rush as well. Should be interesting to see how Fangio puts it all together.

https://www.chicagobears.com/video/meet-the-rookies-joel-iyiegbuniwe

3:09 - Talks about his position change

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It's actually the exact opposite of this. The Bears were tied for 7th in the league with sacks last year. The Bears had more sacks than the eagles, seahawks, vikings, and the broncos.... The fan's perception of the Bears having few sacks is actually because they weren't as good at getting pressure.

I have seen some stats suggesting Floyd was excellent at creating pressure last year, here is a link to that.
https://247sports.com/nfl/chicago-b...NFLs-best-in-pressure-rate-in-2017-114893343/

I am having a hard time finding any statistics to see where the Bears or other players actually ranked in overall pressures. Maybe someone with PFF or the likes could help me out here.
I stand corrected. I recall a lot, of Floyd getting close and not getting holding calls. I was thinking him when mentioning pressure but he's just one guy so thanks.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I recall seeing that they were up there in pressures also, but don't know the source.

Bears were bottom third on blitzing however. So the majority of their pressure was from base DL & the occasional LB mugging the line. This is a good thing actually. With improved personnel to fit the scheme (able to rush & drop into coverage), they'll be able to disguise even better as was said above. Game on!