Q+A with Mitch

Sammich

Liked Posts:
It’s not too often you get a chance to go one-on-one with Chicago Bears QB Mitch Trubisky, but that’s what we got to do at BGO!

Mitch Trubisky has rapidly become a fan favorite in Chicago. The Chicago Bears’ QB has an infectious smile, a great attitude, and more importantly, has flashed the skill set that could make him one of the top QBs in the NFL.

We had a chance to sit down with Mitch Trubisky and chat with him on a variety of topics ranging from Jordan Howard, Matt Nagy and even LeBron James.

Trubisky was working with Gatorade’s Beat the Heat program, which teaches kids ways to be safe when playing outside in the heat, and of course, hydration is at the top of that list. And he’s doing it, because, you know, of course Mitch is getting out there and working with kids. You can listen to the whole conversation here on a recent edition of our BGO podcast, and it’s well worth the time to do it, but if you are in a place where you can’t listen, check out the highlights below.

Mitch, your first year had growing pains like it would with any rookie. What was it that you thought you had the most difficulty with in year one and what did you do in the offseason to improve that heading into year two?

My preparation on a week to week basis. And then when I get into the games, footwork and drops and going through my reads right. It’s been a great transition going from last year’s offense to this year’s offense, and everything I’ve learned and the experience I’ve gained over the last year. Yeah, I made some mistakes but I’ve learned from those mistakes, and it’s been a fun learning process. I’m excited to take everything I learned from year one and use it in year two and keep getting better each day.

Obviously a lot has been made about Matt Nagy and his new offense and how that’s going to look in Chicago. How has it been working with him so far?

Coach Nagy has been awesome. He’s a brilliant offensive mind. I think the positive vibe he’s brought around our building and the culture he’s installing and just the “be obsessed’ mindset about every single thing you do, whether it’s off the field, on the field, in the weight room, and everywhere just being obsessed and being the best you can possibly be.

The Bears made a lot of changes to their offensive coaching staff when Nagy came in, but QB coach Dave Ragone stayed through all the changes. You two clearly have hit it off, what is it about Ragone that vibes so well with you?

I learned so much from Coach Ragone. He’s helped me so much with my preparation and mindset and just how to be prepared on a week-to-week basis so I can just play my game and perform at my best. He probably knows me better than anybody inside the building because he spent so much time with me in the meeting room and on the field. He knows how to push me and what gets me going. I just appreciate how much time he’s spent with me and everything we’ve done together.

Ryan Pace went out there this offseason and brought in plenty of new weapons. This offense could get to the point where it might even be tough to keep everyone involved! How are you going to make sure everybody gets enough touches? That’s got to be a great problem to have.

We just have to execute our offense. It all comes down to winning games and I think if everyone just does their job everyone will get their touches. This is an explosive offense and Coach Nagy has a great plan and everybody has bought in. I think if everyone keeps the positive mindset and hunger and passion that they have, we’re going to be in good shape and everyone will get the touches they need and everybody will be happy when we’re winning.

There have been plenty of discussions this offseason about Jordan Howard and his fit in the offense, especially the need for running backs to catch the ball out of the backfield. How has Howard looked in that aspect so far in OTAs and minicamp?

Jordan’s been awesome. He’s been working his tail off and he’s embraced this offense just as much as anybody has on the team. He’s just learning all the ins and outs of the offense, pass protection and pass pro, catching the ball out of the backfield, he’s been doing great with his hands. I really appreciate his work ethic and how he’s just embraced this new offense and everything that comes with it and he continues to be a leader inside our building and on the field. I’m really excited for what Jordan can do with this new offense.

The NFL media that likes what the Bears are doing keeps calling you guys, “This year’s Rams.” When you hear that comparison, what do you think?

You always have comments and comparisons on what people do on the outside. But we need to be our own brand and our own team. It all comes down to winning games for the Chicago Bears and believing in Coach Nagy’s plan and execution and continuing this positive vibe that we have in our building and make sure it translates to a winning culture. There’s always going to be comparisons and all that along the way. You can’t buy into anything except the plan that we have inside our building and continue to believe in each other so we can have success on the field.

Now, obviously, you are the greatest athlete to ever come from Northeast Ohio, but the second greatest athlete to ever come out of Northeast Ohio just signed with the Lakers. Are you going to adopt the Lakers as your Western Conference NBA team now?

That’s hilarious. I don’t know what’s going on with all that. I don’t know if I’ll root for the Lakers or what but I’ve appreciated everything LeBron has done for the city of Cleveland and really the whole sports world. Just how he strives for greatness and how he performs on and off the field and what he’s done for his community. I think just being from the area I’ve seen what kind of impact he’s had on young athletes and students and putting them through college and all that. He’s had a tremendous impact. Being from that area you’ve seen what he’s done for the city and it’s quite amazing.

You are a Carolina guy, and now a Chicago guy. So what’s better? Carolina BBQ or Chicago-Style Pizza?

Oooo. Can I add a third and say Chicago Steakhouses? Let’s say steakhouses.

-Bill Zimmerman, BearGogglesOn.com

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Last answer is a win. Perhaps this is a window to a more open Mitch. Answers seem less canned than usual.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Last answer is a win. Perhaps this is a window to a more open Mitch. Answers seem less canned than usual.

Getting more comfortable

Tostada

Liked Posts:
Mitch is definitely the best Podium QB we've ever had. He brings props and everything.

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mitch "babling" again?!? . . .

Liked Posts:
Mako Mitch, what does your diet consist of during the season?

Ohhh, good question. My go to foods during the season varies between Seals, Fish, Surfers, and Opposing Defenses.

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mako Mitch, what does your diet consist of during the season?

Ohhh, good question. My go to foods during the season varies between Seals, Fish, Surfers, and Opposing Defenses.

Opposing defenses. (Btw, it's "defii" - pl: defense) . . . The guy threw for 0.63 touchdowns a game last year . . .