Kris Bryant update

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Dude Hendricks just went 8 innings. When does Joe ever let that happen???

Just tells me that Kyle was locked in and when that dude locks in he goes on a run.
That great and i hope he continues it..

Im not going to say all well after 1 start though..

Guy still has a 5.26 ERA in his last 7 starts, including last night..
37 IP 1.46 WHIP

Need to see him continue what he did last night

Quintana too..

He starts out good the first 3 innings then he has trouble getting through the 5th..

17 starts...

Made it to the 5th inning 15 times, pitched 14 innings..

Only made it to the 6th inning 12 times, pitched 9 innings

ERA in the 5th inning is 10.29

He got to be much better then that in the 2nd half

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
I get what their overall record is...
But
Their 13-12 last 25 games
We cant just overlook that

And what was the Cubs' 2016 record for the three weeks prior to the ASG break? Something like 6-12? With Jonny Lester giving up 10 runs to the Mets in one and a third innings, off of six bombs allowed?

At which point a lot of people were writing off the historic start as a fluke -- I can recall Mad Dog Russo on MLB cackling with "NOW we see how much the first two months were a fluke! The Cubs will NEVER field a winning team, 'cause they're not from New York! Hah!"

And, of course, we all recall that those who panicked then, as you are doing now, were right all along, the Cubs completely folded at that point in '16 and never made the playoffs again... um, right?

Oh, yeah. Wrong.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
And what was the Cubs' 2016 record for the three weeks prior to the ASG break? Something like 6-12? With Jonny Lester giving up 10 runs to the Mets in one and a third innings, off of six bombs allowed?

At which point a lot of people were writing off the historic start as a fluke -- I can recall Mad Dog Russo on MLB cackling with "NOW we see how much the first two months were a fluke! The Cubs will NEVER field a winning team, 'cause they're not from New York! Hah!"

And, of course, we all recall that those who panicked then, as you are doing now, were right all along, the Cubs completely folded at that point in '16 and never made the playoffs again... um, right?

Oh, yeah. Wrong.
First . Nobody panicking, not even close

Second.. this year SP is not even close to being as steady as 2016 SP

Third.. i think we need to stop comparing this team/season to 2016..
Alot of key players from that team are not on this team

All im saying again is their going to need Quintana and Hendricks to continue pitching like they did their last start and they will need Darvish to come back and be what they brought him in to be..

Brewers i think are legit and unlike the AL, there are a couple teams still in it for the WC..

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
First . Nobody panicking, not even close

Second.. this year SP is not even close to being as steady as 2016 SP

Third.. i think we need to stop comparing this team/season to 2016..
Alot of key players from that team are not on this team

All im saying again is their going to need Quintana and Hendricks to continue pitching like they did their last start and they will need Darvish to come back and be what they brought him in to be..

Brewers i think are legit and unlike the AL, there are a couple teams still in it for the WC..

And yet, the Cubs' 2016 and 2018 records after 87 games are nearly identical. Even though, focusing on SP as you are, in 2018 it would be the equivalent of having managed this feat with Lester or Arrieta having been on the DL for two months in the first half. We didn't have to make it through two months of such a situation with Travis Wood starting in place of our #1 or #2 starter in 2016, like we have accomplished thus far this year.

This gives me some hope for the second half going better than the first, as it always has over Maddon's tenure. I look to getting Darvish back and healthy, and (hopefully) a re-deploy with Chatwood taking Montgomery's place in the 'pen, and vice-versa. And if all else fails, we have a Smyly ace in the hole, that might end up being playable. Or being asked to play, at any rate.

Is there another team in the division threatening? You bet. Just like the Cardinals were threatening throughout the first half of 2016, and the Brewers led the division for most all of the first half of 2017. Sure, the Cubs led nearly pole to pole in '16, but not by as much as y'all might seem to recall. There were times when the Cards were projecting to end up in a much stronger position than they actually did. In general, for the past two years, the Cubs made the Brewers and the Cardinals their little bitches in the second half, and that's what made the most difference in the division. That and treating the Reds like they were a little league team. But this year, the Brewers have a slightly tougher second-half schedule than the Cubs do, and the Cubs have a fairly decent record against them so far.

So, yeah -- how the Cubs do in the division will be based mostly on how we play against the Cards and Crew for the remainder of the year. So, what's new? That is the exact same story as over the past two years. It really doesn't matter what the Brewers or the Cardinals do against the rest of the league; if the Cubs can dominate the remaining series between them and these two teams, I don't have any concerns as to winning the division. And it has been by dominating divisional series in the second half that the Cubs have won the division the past two years.

Sure, the Brewers or the Cardinals could add pieces that make them better and tougher to dominate. I would, if I were them. But that's never a sure-fire move, either. We're all concerned that Milwaukee may get hold of DeGrom or Syndegaard, right? But, tell me, when was the last time either of those guys played an entire season? In other words, the Mets would be perennial division winners "if that rotation can stay healthy all season", and guess what? It never has. Why are we expecting any major piece of it will stay healthy when traded to an NL Central competitor?

The Chapman rental could have gone tragically astray, as well. In fact, at the eleventh hour, it almost did. But the Cubs were lucky (I repeat the Cubs were lucky) and all of their moves that year seemed to work. Not all moves -- especially pitching moves -- work. In fact, pitching moves seem to fail, or end as washes, more often than they make that crucial difference. They are more notable in their rare successes than in their common failures.

When I look at the Cubs right now, I see a very good offensive lineup with literally no easy outs in it, but one that can, like really any team in the league right now, get shut down by opposing pitchers having wildly successful nights. I see an offense that is tenacious, has the deepest 4-man bench in the majors, and wins a lot of games against the opposing 'pen when they are mostly shut down by the other guys' starter. Like last night. I also see, for a team that, as you say, did it with pitching in 2016, what looks like the best bullpen in the majors, with an extremely talented, even elite, starting pitching corps that has been badly banged up and underperforming for most of the first half. Assuming the coaches and the front office can swallow their pride, admit their mistakes, and move Chatwood to the 'pen, and assuming a healthy Darvish and more consistent Hendricks for the second half, you could see what you saw in 2017, a Cubs team with the best second half record in all of baseball.

That's why I tend to not get too worried, yet. If we haven't taken a lead in the division and started to separate by early September, then talk to me about being worried. Until then, I plan to sit back and enjoy the ride... :)

CSF77

Liked Posts:
All I’m going to say is watch out. This team is primed to go on a run right now..... calling it now.

Sammich

Liked Posts:
BOOM! Bryant back with the Cubbies and already hits a Home Run!

chibears55

Liked Posts:
All I’m going to say is watch out. This team is primed to go on a run right now..... calling it now.
Great opportunity to start with the Padres and then put away the Cardinals next weekend in a 5 game series...

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
BOOM! Bryant back with the Cubbies and already hits a Home Run!

That was the good, then the first fucking game back he throws him out to right fucking field with one of the craziest walls in baseball. He froze on a liner, then was not even close to catching the last fly ball.

What the fuck? Just off the DL, what was this a pissy move because they put Bote back in AAA? I dont understand how KB gets treated like this. At least leave him in center where the ball is coming right at him.

Sammich

Liked Posts:
That was the good, then the first fucking game back he throws him out to right fucking field with one of the craziest walls in baseball. He froze on a liner, then was not even close to catching the last fly ball.

What the fuck? Just off the DL, what was this a pissy move because they put Bote back in AAA? I dont understand how KB gets treated like this. At least leave him in center where the ball is coming right at him.

Makes sense.... good points.

Sammich

Liked Posts:
Really kind of dumb. What is it going to hurt letting him take the next two weeks off and come back after the break? More rest or get it moving and see if it swells up over the break again?

This would have been the smart (obvious) thing to do. They rushed him back, and now he is on the 10-day DL, AGAIN :clap:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
This would have been the smart (obvious) thing to do. They rushed him back, and now he is on the 10-day DL, AGAIN :clap:

They did rehab the first time to strengthen he joint. It was more of a band aid.

It is his left arm not his right so the whole out field statement is uneducated

His injury is due to his folllw through in his swing and repeated use wears the joint and he has to rehab it again to strengthen it.

This seems on going and they might have to alter his follow through to realease the torque that he is generating better.

Think of it as continued stretching of a rubber band eventually it doesn’t snap back. Basically what happens with muscles and PT gets them back into original shape. But the root problem is a swing mechanic.