Kawhi Leonard trade and speculation thread (traded to Raptors for DeRozan)

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
I would just rather see a more experienced coach handling these guys. Its easy to hate on Garpax, but blink and they have assembled a core of lottery picks, with Lopez probably starting for now, but Payne, Valentine and Carter as your 8 and Justin Holiday as 9. Probably alot of teams would be happy with this lineup, but they need to share the ball and play some level of D to keep the other team below 110.

I believe many on this board are severely overrating the strength and depth of this team. No coach is going to make a serious contender out of this roster, and even if by miracle both Lavine and Parker can play the entire season we are still going to be allowing 110 points per night on a semi-regular basis.

This roster is designed and built to barely make the playoffs which will enable its designers to continue cashing paychecks.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I believe many on this board are severely overrating the strength and depth of this team. No coach is going to make a serious contender out of this roster, and even if by miracle both Lavine and Parker can play the entire season we are still going to be allowing 110 points per night on a semi-regular basis.

This roster is designed and built to barely make the playoffs which will enable its designers to continue cashing paychecks.

Not really making a comment on the strength or depth, just that Garpax ended up with a lineup of lottery picks. I know it does not say much when some lottery picks are out of basketball, but seems they have molded this shit team into something decent to look at and maybe allow us to sell some of our seats for face value this year.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats

Agreed.

Right now of your starting 5, Dunn is your best defender. Carter seems like a willing defender, but he's been playing against a majority of guys who will be bagging groceries soon. Maybe Laurie's added bulk helps him - I don't know. LaVine is a bad defender, and now we have Parker who was bad defending the 4, but now he's going to be on the wing....how does that work?

Obviously, the saving grace here is that the East is hot garbage. So sure, maybe they'll make the playoffs - but I see nothing here gives an idea of how they are closer to a championship.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I will not be happy until Payne is off this team. Dude is straight garbage

Why do people keep talking about Payne as if he’s a rotational player? He shouldn’t be in the league. Him and Grant were both brutal back up PG’s. Bulls really need someone who is at least passable as a back up to Dunn.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
Lowry, Green, Kawhi, Ibaka and valanciunas is a very solid core. Hopefully Kawhi doesn't act like a pussy and actually plays

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Lowry, Green, Kawhi, Ibaka and valanciunas is a very solid core. Hopefully Kawhi doesn't act like a pussy and actually plays
If he refuses to show up in Toronto his career is over.

My feeling is he'll show up and half ass the whole year and sign a small 1 year contract with LA. Then sign much larger contract later.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
LOL I hope his uncle doesn't have a DUI/record.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
If he refuses to show up in Toronto his career is over.

My feeling is he'll show up and half ass the whole year and sign a small 1 year contract with LA. Then sign much larger contract later.

I had read reports from a week or two ago that he would refuse to play for any team that got him if it wasn't LA. And now people are reporting he has no desire to be/play in Toronto.

Kawhi is about to earn the title of biggest bitch in the history of sports. As for his uncle, assuming he's behind most of this, he's a horrible business man.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I had read reports from a week or two ago that he would refuse to play for any team that got him if it wasn't LA. And now people are reporting he has no desire to be/play in Toronto.

Kawhi is about to earn the title of biggest bitch in the history of sports. As for his uncle, assuming he's behind most of this, he's a horrible business man.
Toronto will forever hold his contract until he plays. So no LA for him if he's a little bitch about it.

If he plays like 9 games then quits, I don't know how that works. I don't know what all the rules are towards that.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
He might be blacklisted and have to play in China if that's the case. Then the Spurs made off like bandits.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I argue Spurs made off like bandits anyway

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
whats the big deal? leonard will obviously play otherwise his value going into free agency would be crap. He will play this season decline his player option for 2019 and become a free agent and go where he wants...raptors taking huge risk thinking they can change leonard's mind into staying in toronto.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
whats the big deal? leonard will obviously play otherwise his value going into free agency would be crap. He will play this season decline his player option for 2019 and become a free agent and go where he wants...raptors taking huge risk thinking they can change leonard's mind into staying in toronto.

I don't think Toronto has any inclination that Leonard will re-sign with them. They just got out of DeRozan's contract which was the goal. The Raptors are not good enough to win a title especially with the super teams out West. They realize this and are planning accordingly for down the road.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
wow, 3/83 left for DeRozan, dumped Parker to try to keep Leonard, its tough to play in the west just wondering if the 3 teams on top will suffer some huge injury.

As far as Probies comments, they were talking about teams that wanted Carmellos 27 million dollar contract, stretch it over 3 years and waive him. Kawhis deal is only 20.1 million. They dont have to hold his contract or threaten him to play, they can do the same damn thing since the pick they will give up is only 1-20 guaranteed. If they use the cap space to make a few moves, they should still be playoff contenders.

It just seems like punishment thinking Kawhi will have to suffer thru toronto winters.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
It just seems like punishment thinking Kawhi will have to suffer thru toronto winters.

Seeing how Toronto is comparable to Chicago winters. Guess that would be the same if he were to come here after all that GarPax door knocking.

Same hardiness zone as Chicago, Toronto winter is ever so slightly warmer on historical averages, but has more snowfall mainly due to being surrounded by great lakes, when we just have the one.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Kawhi wanted to play for his hometown (LA), so the Spurs sent him to another country.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Seeing how Toronto is comparable to Chicago winters. Guess that would be the same if he were to come here after all that GarPax door knocking.

Same hardiness zone as Chicago, Toronto winter is ever so slightly warmer on historical averages, but has more snowfall mainly due to being surrounded by great lakes, when we just have the one.

The quote that was the most interesting to me was Popovich supposedly said he is excited to connect with DeMar at the USA Basketball mini camp next week and also excited to work with Kawhi at that camp.

All this speculation of Kawhi maybe sitting out, cant stand Toronto, all this crap flying around with no merit, after doing all this to get away from San Antonio, does Pop really expect Kawhi to play for him on team USA?