Closer look at RB situation

Sammich

Liked Posts:
As the Bears prepare to report July 19 for training camp at Olivet Nazarene in Bourbonnais, the Tribune is taking a look at each position group. Today: running backs.

Currently on roster: 6.

Projected on final roster: 3-4.

Roster locks: Jordan Howard, Tarik Cohen.

Good bet: Benny Cunningham.

On the bubble: Taquan Mizzell, Michael Burton.

Practice-squad candidate: Ryan Nall.

Biggest offseason developments: The Bears hired Charles London as running backs coach to replace Curtis Modkins. … Cunningham returned to the team on a one-year, $855,000 deal.

What to like: Second-year back Tarik Cohen not only has a skill set that will stimulate coach Matt Nagy’s creativity, Cohen has shown he has the mental capacity to handle a wide array of roles and responsibilities. That’s a perfect combination to light the wick for an explosive 2018.

Cohen’s big-play capabilities were evident during his rookie season. Now he’s a year older and wiser in knowing when to strive for the highlight-reel moment and when simply to take the yardage that’s there.

Nagy plans to take full advantage of Cohen’s abilities as a pass catcher, too, using him as a chess piece to create favorable matchups. That means Cohen will operate out of the backfield, in the slot and on the outside. In an offense that promises to spread the ball around, Cohen will get his fair share of touches.

“He’s a run threat and then he can catch the ball in space in broken formations,” Nagy said. “That’s an advantage for the play callers and the play designers to be able to do some different things. We can move him around and try to get an advantage. … He’s dynamic.

“But then he’s really smart. I talk about (not) making the same mistakes twice. So far, from what we’ve seen, he doesn’t do that.”

Biggest question: How does Jordan Howard fit in Nagy’s offense?

It’s no secret Nagy likes his running backs to be reliable in the passing game. It’s also no secret Howard’s biggest weakness in his first two seasons has been his unreliable hands. So now what?

For starters, Nagy has made it clear he will mold his offense around his players’ strengths and weaknesses. And Howard understands he needs to become far more consistent catching the football.

“It started being a problem in high school, just not having my hands in the right position,” he said. “I didn’t work on it that much in college because we didn’t really throw to the backs that much. But I’m going to fix it.”

File that vow in the “we’ll see” folder.

Nagy said this spring he would classify Howard as the Bears’ feature back but also made it clear he plans to keep the door spinning in the rotation.

Fresh face: Ryan Nall is the only newcomer to the group, an undrafted rookie out of Oregon State who will be given an opportunity to stick around beyond Bourbonnais. Nall does not possess elite athleticism, posting a time of 4.58 seconds in the 40-yard dash at the combine and leaping 33 inches in the vertical jump. But he does have good vision as a runner and versatility as a receiver. He’ll also need to prove his worth on special teams during exhibition action to be considered for a roster spot. A soft landing on the practice squad seems feasible.

You should know: Cohen and Cunningham were the team’s recipients of the 2017 Brian Piccolo Award, an honor given annually to Bears players who exhibit dedication, loyalty, teamwork, a commitment to excellence and a sense of humor.

Quote of note: Cohen, on realizing the 2017 Chiefs had two 1,000-yard receivers — Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce — and a 1,000-yard rusher — Kareem Hunt — with Nagy as their offensive coordinator: “I was like, ‘I don’t know how that ball’s getting around like that, but I know it’s going to be a good thing.’ To have as many weapons as we do and to know that everybody’s still going to be able to get the ball and get the yards, it’s a wonderful thing.”

Big number: 2,435 — Rushing yards for Howard in his first two seasons, the highest total in franchise history for a player after two years. Walter Payton, the franchise’s all-time leading rusher, piled up 2,069 yards in 1975 and 1976. Gale Sayers had 2,098 yards after his first two seasons. Matt Forte rushed for 2,167 in 2008 and ’09.

-Dan Wiederer - Chicago Tribune

AussieBear

if jordan improved his catching this offseason....he'll fits just fine..

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
This team has endless possibility's on offense. The RPO game will be exciting to watch. Opposing DC's will have their work cut out for them. PS. I see no reason Howard won't improve his receiving skill with practice. He has never been asked to do much in that area, it's not like he tried and failed.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Unfortunately, Howard is just not a good fit for this offense. Like any feature power back, you ideally want 20+ touches and let him wear down the defense.
I don't see him getting 20 carries a game in this offense because I think Nagy is going to look for versatility and to keep the defense guessing, and I don't know if Howard's lack of receiving threat will allow him to get in the game as often as he needs to.

That being said Kareem Hunt did rush for 1300 yards last season, so Nagy isn't opposed to running the football. But Hunt was also targeted 63 times in the passing game for 455 yards.

I would love to see Howard dominate in this offense. My prediction will have him in a substantial, but not completely featured role for about 900 yards on 200 carries.

So he is going to be a 300 carries per year RB in a 200 carries per year offense.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
My woman carrying Omelet Jr

0711-cardi-b-insta-02-400x300.jpg

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
For me, Ryan Nall is someone to watch. He runs like Mike Alstot, and can be a matchup nightmare as he can run routes like a TE.