Quantifiable reasons to believe in Mich?

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I am reserving my opinion on Trubisky so far- All things considered, he has been nothing more than "meh" IMO.
That isn't a particularly bad thing either- Many rookies that wind up being good down the road play "meh" early on with a handful of alarming tendencies that make you uneasy till they go away... So anyone getting butthurt by "meh" can run off to their safe space until they feel better.

So that said, there seem to be a lot of people on here that are pretty high on Mitch.
Taking the stats out of it(good discussion parameter for Trubisky fans) and Taking the "hamstrung by conservative playcalling" and "bad supporting cast" out of it... what is it that convinces you he will be good?
I am not buying the whole "it was all the rest of the offense and playcalling and things will magically be better with a new OC".

What I want to know is, What does he do consistently that you like? Even if he has bad WRs dropping his passes, what throws do you think he hits well? (the specific reason I wanted to take excuses out of it- if he is hitting the spots and the WRs are dropping the balls, it can still be a feather in his cap)
Is it his presence, escapability, accuracy, strength.... What has you already sold?

This isnt a challenge or call out thread... because I am neither here nor there on the guy. I just want to hear what the big Trubisky fans are seeing that has them sold already. Maybe you all can convince me.

Any plays in particular, be they successful, flagged, or incomplete that you thought were knockouts would be cool to hear or see.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Watch some tape. The Detroit games, both. Watch the Ravens game. You'll get the picture.

I know where I am at... trying to get others to explain what they like.

Tostada

Liked Posts:
I am reserving my opinion on Trubisky so far- All things considered, he has been nothing more than "meh" IMO.
That isn't a particularly bad thing either- Many rookies that wind up being good down the road play "meh" early on with a handful of alarming tendencies that make you uneasy till they go away... So anyone getting butthurt by "meh" can run off to their safe space until they feel better.

So that said, there seem to be a lot of people on here that are pretty high on Mitch.
Taking the stats out of it(good discussion parameter for Trubisky fans) and Taking the "hamstrung by conservative playcalling" and "bad supporting cast" out of it... what is it that convinces you he will be good?
I am not buying the whole "it was all the rest of the offense and playcalling and things will magically be better with a new OC".

What I want to know is, What does he do consistently that you like? Even if he has bad WRs dropping his passes, what throws do you think he hits well? (the specific reason I wanted to take excuses out of it- if he is hitting the spots and the WRs are dropping the balls, it can still be a feather in his cap)
Is it his presence, escapability, accuracy, strength.... What has you already sold?

This isnt a challenge or call out thread... because I am neither here nor there on the guy. I just want to hear what the big Trubisky fans are seeing that has them sold already. Maybe you all can convince me.

Any plays in particular, be they successful, flagged, or incomplete that you thought were knockouts would be cool to hear or see.

He really doesnt shit the bed in the pocket. He knows how to run. I still get giddy over that 4th and 11 run then the pass. The clutch throws in the Baltimore game. The kid is a gamer with his head in the game.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I don't think it is quantifiable, especially since you are taking out the stats and the horribly outdated system he played in last year.

I'm high in Mitch though. I'd say that he has the right attitude and work ethic (by all accounts, he works hard in practice, the film room, and is an energetic competitor). He also has the athletic traits to be successful in a modern NFL offense; he has a good arm, can throw on the move, and can make plays with his legs. If you take hard work and create a good environment around it (i.e., hire good offensive minds and obtain good supporting players), you create the ideal conditions for success. It doesn't always work out, but it looks like the odds are in our favor this time.

Visionman

Liked Posts:

These things you mention are what convinces me. He showed all of them often enough to tell me it wasn't just luck once in awhile and as he grows and develops, that type of play will become more and More common.

I am not by any stretch of the imagination saying Trubs will be a top NFL qb someday. But I do think he will be good enough to win with...and thats what matters.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
From a quantitative perspective, Trubs sucks. Not sure if that can really be argued.

But qualitatively - for people that watched - there were signs that he is worth investment imo and I came out of the season optimistic for his future.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:

He was one of the best in the league on third down last year in one of the simplest offenses in the league. To quantify teams knew in two aspects what the Bears were going to do and he still excelled at it with a weak supporting cast.

http://www.thetenyardline.com/2018/...d-long-last-season-and-could-get-even-better/

JUSTWIN

BANNED
Liked Posts:
Considering the circumstance, I thought he was poised enough and his stats didn't "suck" as a rookie. You can clearly see the accuracy, mobility and ability to progress through reads. You can also see his ability to make something happen when the play breaks down. This kid is very coachable and from what I've heard he wants to be great and is willing to put in the work. These are all ingredients that can make for a good QB. We just have to see where his ceiling is and year two should give us a lot better idea.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
The only quantifiable reasons to be excited about Mitch are the ones pointing to how bad the playcalling was.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think it is foolish to look at a 1st year QB and make decisions based on stats. You need to quantify things such as decision making and accuracy.

Trubisky held on to the ball a bit much his first year. I am perfectly ok with that. Several things to consider was the lackluster game plan, coaching choices, talent, and of course a first year QB that is still learning. What would have been worse was a QB trying to force plays. As Trubiskys knowledge level increases the game will slow down and he will see more.

As far as decision making went, Trubisky really picked some excellent times to run the ball. He looked like a vet out there knowing when to tuck and run and where the sticks were and what the defense called.

A play stick out in my mind...vs the Saints he made a good initial move to avoid the blitz, took one last look for his receivers before he saw open field.

[video=youtube;WrX5jNk9V9E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrX5jNk9V9E[/video]

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Also, as far as accuracy goes, Trubisky made some great throws on this drive vs Detroit. The TD pass at the end was perfect and he made a couple very accurate throws to keep the drive going.

[video=youtube;33oeTZ0wnQw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33oeTZ0wnQw[/video]

The time where Trubisky had some accuracy issues was all attributed to footwork. That is really common among first year guys. He was able to make corrections on that, and the accuracy came back. That is a big green light as far as QBs go.
watch

BearDownTexas

Liked Posts:
And lots of people on here bash his sack-eating. While it does suck, id much rather he just eat it instead of just chuckin it up to get rid of it. Sacks dont piss me off nearly as much as stupid turnovers.

Colonel_Buendia

Liked Posts:
And lots of people on here bash his sack-eating. While it does suck, id much rather he just eat it instead of just chuckin it up to get rid of it. Sacks dont piss me off nearly as much as stupid turnovers.

It is also something that usually improves in year 2 with a better familiarity with the offense, defensive schemes, and the speed of the game. And is something Nagy will account for with his short passing and RPO game. The fact that he took sacks without getting rattled - he maintained his composure, his fundamentals and decision making weren't impacted - is a telling sign. Resiliency is a necessary and basically uncoachable trait for a QB.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

I am positive that Fox and friends told him to eat the ball unless he had the obvious reception early on. I am sure some of it came from that. But absolutely, I'd rather see a QB eat the ball instead of throwing the forced throw. As the season went on, Trubisky was throwing the ball away a little more instead of taking sacks.

He was taking more sacks per pass play his first half than his second half.

There was measured improvement and accuracy issues that were corrected by footwork adjustments. You could see he was getting more confident as the season went on.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
From what I recall he was one of the better QBs throwing the ball 20 yards or more and one of the better QBs on 3rd down. Could be wrong on that but I thought I read that.

Guys rally around him and believe in him...one of, if not the most important intangible for a QB.

His work ethic also seems to be off the charts and he wants to be perfect.

We all knew he was green coming in and wasn’t going to be an instant impact guy. The system, coaches, and receivers did him no favors. Let’s just be real. But I need to see him improve immensely at getting rid of the ball and not taking dumb sacks which he did way too often.

All in all, I think there’s more reason to be optimistic about his future than not...but obviously results need to be shown on the field.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
If you don't "see it" then my explaining it won't help.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
These things you mention are what convinces me. He showed all of them often enough to tell me it wasn't just luck once in awhile and as he grows and develops, that type of play will become more and More common.

I am not by any stretch of the imagination saying Trubs will be a top NFL qb someday. But I do think he will be good enough to win with...and thats what matters.

I like those things but convinced is still strong for me and I've been one of his biggest advocates. Besides having all the throws and mobility, I like that he's been accurate throwing seams. It will make it difficult for D's to pigeonhole his tendencies and is a sign of a guy with some anticipation. Lots of good QBs don't throw many and Nagy's last QB was one of them. The other aspect that bodes well for the future is how he recovers from poor outings. Twice last year, his mechanics got sloppy and he came back the next week on task. Having to start after 4 games didn't give the staff and him enough time to be ingrained. Once rookie QBs start downhill, most continue there. Mitch bounced back. Another positive is that he was ripping up the D in practice with a less restricted scout team. Fangio, who doesn't serve up compliments easily, has stated that he thinks Mitch will be a good one and is part of why he re-signed.

It's early so we may have yet to discover more things that he could use work on. Overall, it's encouraging but to paraphrase Buddy; Potential means you ain't done jack yet.

napo55

Liked Posts:
Wasn't his completion percentage in the high sixties the last 6 games of the season? Improvement.

Yogi

Liked Posts:
Quantifiable reasons:

October: 80 attempts, 47.5% completions, 66.3 rating
November: 98 attempts, 57.1% completions, 74.5 rating
December: 152 attempts, 67.1% completions, 85.4 rating

He consistently improved as the season progressed, and, more importantly, as they asked him to do more.

For the entire season, his only games below an 87 rating were against the three best teams in the NFC (1x road game vs Eagles, 1x road game vs Saints, and both Vikings games) and on the road against the Lions, who missed the playoffs by one game.